New Head Coach search

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
Fitz should tell Dubas to go pound sand if he requests compensation for Sullivan (if that's even allowed).

I'm sure Sullivan would love knowing that his GM was willing to get rid of him, but couldn't get the right compensation. I'm sure that would work out well keeping him on as the coach in Pittsburgh.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011

Maybe not

As a Pens fan, I wouldn't get your hopes up with Servalli tweets. This is the same reporter who said that he heard Dubas turned down the Pens job. Then a few days later Dubas was hired lol.

I don't trust him.

As for Weekes, he's just speculating.

We want Sully gone as much as you guys want him hired, so here's hoping it works out for both parties. But I don't see any indications as of yet that it's gonna happen.

Hockey Sports Fan

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
Connecticut
I’d be willing to bet literally every NHL coach has either won a championship in another league or was an assistant to a coach that did. They wouldnt be in the league otherwise because NHL GMs dont know any other way to judge a team.

For McLellan, he did both. Won an AHL cup and was an assistant on the 2008 Detroit team when they won. He was billed as a Babcock protege when San Jose promoted him.

Reactions: Triumph

Poppy Whoa Sonnet

J'Accuse!
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2007
Fitz should tell Dubas to go pound sand if he requests compensation for Sullivan (if that's even allowed).

I'm sure Sullivan would love knowing that his GM was willing to get rid of him, but couldn't get the right compensation. I'm sure that would work out well keeping him on as the coach in Pittsburgh.
If this breakup is inevitable it's in both sides' interests to have it happen sooner rather than later. NJ can't wait forever, Pitt wants to know if it needs to hire someone asap, Sullivan wants to be a FA when he's got the maximum amount of leverage.

TrufleShufle

Aug 31, 2012
Not knowing anything too detailed about Sullivan, can anyone explain to me why we would be excited to get him if from fans of Pittsburgh it seems like nothing but negatives?

Reactions: Mgd31

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
Not knowing anything too detailed about Sullivan, can anyone explain to me why we would be excited to get him if from fans of Pittsburgh it seems like nothing but negatives?

His system is perfect for our current roster. The roster he has now in Pittsburgh is old and not particularly fast.

I don't know if you have The Athletic, but I found this article interesting

TrufleShufle

Aug 31, 2012
His system is perfect for our current roster. The roster he has now in Pittsburgh is old and not particularly fast.

I don't know if you have The Athletic, but I found this article interesting

Thanks, just wasn't sure if it was one of those situations we see all the time where the rest of the league fans want a player/coach, and the team that has them says, have at it. "You don't know what you have." "No, you don't know what we have."

Miles Wood is just a quick one that comes to mind, but there has been plenty.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
Anything is better than Travis Green.

I don’t think McLellan will make us considerably worse. Travis Green sure did/will.

I just hope he doesn’t have us playing like LA this year though. Who are still playing like that since he left. That 1-3-1.

He didn’t have the Sharks playing that way.

I think I would accept him after having to suffer through Travis Green.

How can they interview McLellan? That shows zero consideration for you or how much the board would have to read rants peppered “f***ing loser”.

I thought this wasn’t allowed?

The f*** lol? A trade?

• Haha
Reactions: Bleedred

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
How can they interview McLellan? That shows zero consideration for you or how much the board would have to read rants peppered “f***ing loser”.
I have my doubts that Todd can get us over the hump. but he should still be adequate enough to not sandbag us too much. I'll worry about contending for a cup once we start making the playoffs consistently.

I also said the same thing about Lindy before things got too bad at the end. I said that regardless of what happens this year, I don't think Lindy could FUBAR us to where we miss the playoffs next year, provided we're not nearly as injury depleted as we were this year. Especially with a goalie upgrade(s).

I'd like to say Todd McLellan can do the same in the worst case scenario.

As long as he doesn't bring that 1-3-1 TRASH with him over from LA. He didn't do that in San Jose and I'm pretty sure he didn't do it in Edmonton either.

And Jonas Hiller still had them playing that after they sacked T-Mac.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
I have my doubts that Todd can get us over the hump. but he should still be adequate enough to not sandbag us too much. I'll worry about contending for a cup once we start making the playoffs consistently.

I also said the same thing about Lindy before things got too bad at the end. I said that regardless of what happens this year, I don't think Lindy could FUBAR us to where we miss the playoffs next year, provided we're not nearly as injury depleted as we were this year. Especially with a goalie upgrade(s).

I'd like to say Todd McLellan can do the same in the worst case scenario.

As long as he doesn't bring that 1-3-1 TRASH with him over from LA. He didn't do that in San Jose and I'm pretty sure he didn't do it in Edmonton either.

And Jonas Hiller still had them playing that after they sacked T-Mac.
So how about if NJ brings back Green and bumps Rogalski up to associate coach and he trains all the goalies throughout the organization? Would that optimize the team to have the best chance of success? I think you may have touched on Green as the interim coach once or twice but I can't recall.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
So how about if NJ brings back Green and bumps Rogalski up to associate coach and he trains all the goalies throughout the organization? Would that optimize the team to have the best chance of success? I think you may have touched on Green as the interim coach once or twice but I can't recall.
GREEN MUST GO!

I really do hope Green has nothing to do with this team.

In the event that we do get Sullivan, I think he'll either bring Reirden in here or some other guy that he's worked with. At that point I think Green is out.

Reirden and Sullivan haven't exactly been together a very long time. I think he's only been with Pittsburgh the last 4 years. He was the head coach in Washington for 2 years after that right after they won the cup and Trotz left, and he was an assistant to Trotz for several years before that in Washington.

I had to look him up, it appears he was an assistant for Pittsburgh from 2010 through 2014 and then went to Washington. It also looks like he was the head coach of the AHL Pens before that. It looks like that was around the time John Hynes took over. I guess he replaced him.

Reactions: My3Sons

longislanddevil

Jun 16, 2011
McLellan would be such an underwhelming hire. Not really interested but of course is better than Green (not that I really think Fitz would be stupid enough to hitch his wagon to that loser).

I’d rather have Sullivan, Montgomery, Evason or even Berube I suppose.

jkrdevil

UnRegistered User
Apr 24, 2006
Miami
Posted this on social, but just thinking. Is part
Of the Sullivan thing with assistants that Dubas has discussed maybe bringing in Keefe as an assistant if he is cut loose in Toronto? If I was Sullivan I wouldn’t want that given that basically paints a target on his back. Might as well let me go know while other jobs I may want are open.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Posted this on social, but just thinking. Is part
Of the Sullivan thing with assistants that Dubas has discussed maybe bringing in Keefe as an assistant if he is cut loose in Toronto? If I was Sullivan I wouldn’t want that given that basically paints a target on his back. Might as well let me go know while other jobs I may want are open.
I feel like Keefe will probably get a head coaching gig, unless he's fired late enough that they run out of jobs.

Like when Brunette was let go by Florida in middle to later June and there were only so many openings.

Keefe seems like the logical replacement for Sullivan in Pittsburgh, but I'm only saying that because of Dubas being there now. Maybe he doesn't want any part of Keefe anymore?

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
The PITT job is not a very appealing one at this point. If I was Keefe I would not be interested in taking over a sinking ship
They need the Pete DeBoer effect where they get their best results from the coach in his first year. Because that might be all that core is capable of at this point, if they've even got that much left in them.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad