Speculation: New GM if We Change Direction

Bloomberg

Jun 20, 2014
Dubas went all in at the deadline. We only have 6 picks over the next 2 years as a team that is right against the cap. As we saw against Montreal, Matthews and Marner simply did not live up to their contracts. I don't think Dubas will move either of them and next season will be the same as this season. I wonder if management realizes this and would want to go in another direction. If Dubas leaves, who would you want as new GM to potentially make the franchise changing trade of someone within the core?

I like Jarmo Kekalainen, but don't think he's available. Maybe Chris Macfarland from Colorado?

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

ItsFineImFine

Aug 11, 2019
Sucks for Dubas but IF we change direction should not be a question. Obviously they HAVE to change direction. And if you do that you can't go with the same guy that set you in that direction. Corporations bring new people in they don't keep the same CEO and shit when they change directions or something.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Well you've been telling us they'd beat the Habs for a week now so forgive me if I don't put much stock in your predictions.
principles, I enjoy a discussion that involves principles........

acrobaticgoalie

Jun 18, 2014
Dubas went all in at the deadline. We only have 6 picks over the next 2 years as a team that is right against the cap. As we saw against Montreal, Matthews and Marner simply did not live up to their contracts. I don't think Dubas will move either of them and next season will be the same as this season. I wonder if management realizes this and would want to go in another direction. If Dubas leaves, who would you want as new GM to potentially make the franchise changing trade of someone within the core?

I like Jarmo Kekalainen, but don't think he's available. Maybe Chris Macfarland from Colorado?
Jarmo has run a fairly strong organization in his time with the jackets but he has a history of his best players wanting out of town.

Panarin
Bobrovsky
Dubois
Jones
Don't be surprised if Werenski wants out too when his contract is up.

I've heard he's a difficult person to deal with when it comes to contracts and players feel he won't give them their due. That could be a good thing in our market being the richest team and seeing our players demands but if your players never want to stay, then the team is still not going anywhere.

Bloomberg

Jun 20, 2014
Jarmo has run a fairly strong organization in his time with the jackets but he has a history of his best players wanting out of town.

Panarin
Bobrovsky
Dubois
Jones
Don't be surprised if Werenski wants out too when his contract is up.

I've heard he's a difficult person to deal with when it comes to contracts and players feel he won't give them their due. That could be a good thing in our market being the richest team and seeing our players demands but if your players never want to stay, then the team is still not going anywhere.

I'm hoping this is more of a product of Columbus not being a hockey city, then that of the GM.

Reactions: egd27

EK392000

Mar 9, 2020
I’m not sure Dubas is the problem. This past off-season, he went out and addressed the teams biggest holes: depth, grit and defence. The team he created was the best Leafs team I’ve seen since I’ve been a fan (since 2010, I’m 21 years old for reference). I’m racking my brain trying to think of why this team didn’t win last night, but he isn’t one of the reasons I came up with. I think it’s an issue of being young/not having the mental fortitude to overcome adversity/taking skill for granted/thinking playing in the league is a right and not a privilege. That’s just my take though. All in all, I think Dubas is safe.

acrobaticgoalie

Jun 18, 2014
I'm hoping this is more of a product of Columbus not being a hockey city, then that of the GM.
I think I heard what I said about Jarmo on the Spittin Chiclets podcast. 2 of the guys being former players and having a ton of connections with current and former players , they get a lot of inside stories. Im sure location does play a part but there are other cities that aren't hockey cities or crappy locations like Winnipeg that don't have star players constantly wanting out.

Racer88

Sep 29, 2020
I’m not sure Dubas is the problem. This past off-season, he went out and addressed the teams biggest holes: depth, grit and defence. The team he created was the best Leafs team I’ve seen since I’ve been a fan (since 2010, I’m 21 years old for reference). I’m racking my brain trying to think of why this team didn’t win last night, but he isn’t one of the reasons I came up with. I think it’s an issue of being young/not having the mental fortitude to overcome adversity/taking skill for granted/thinking playing in the league is a right and not a privilege. That’s just my take though. All in all, I think Dubas is safe.
He is the problem. He created this overpaid core them went out and gave away picks for some old guys that were crap and worn out.
Ya, he is 100% the problem

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
NO NEW CHANGES. We already made one change too many - at coach.

Hold the players accountable.

TheScandal89

Jun 26, 2016
Who ever the GM is has their work cut out for them thats for sure. However, I think they will stay the course and try to plug in these holes 1 more time with cheap players. Probably unsuccessfully.

????? - Matthews - Marner
????? - Tavares - Nylander
Robertson - ????? - Hyman
Brooks - Spezza - Anderson

Rielly - Brodie
Muzzin - Holl
Sandin - ?????

Traded: Liljegren, Kerfoot (Seattle), Engvall, Mikheyev, Dermott

Bogosian will walk and take a 2-3 year deal.

Does that look better, not really, but my gut tells me thats what they will do. The prospect pool is pretty weak, so aside from Robertson, there's not much to be excited about. Dubas found out yet again, hockey is a mans game and unfortunately, he only drafted little boys to add to our team where we have those positions are already filled.

Bloomberg

Jun 20, 2014
NO NEW CHANGES. We already made one change too many - at coach.

Hold the players accountable.

But will Dubas hold the player accountable? He pretty much gave Nylander a verbal no-trade clause and I doubt he'll trade Matthews or Marner.

Reactions: rumman

Bloomberg

Jun 20, 2014

If you think your players are young and doesn't have the mental fortitude, then you don't go all in. Dubas clearly misjudged this team and I don't think he'll do anything to change the core. Also, is this team still young? Next season Marner will be 25 and Matthews will be 24. Ottawa is young and they are coming to steal a playoff spot soon.

Reactions: rumman

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Does anyone actually think Dubas will be fired? Although you may wish it, I think very few believe he’ll be removed. Maybe the OP could add a poll?

Bloomberg

Jun 20, 2014
Does anyone actually think Dubas will be fired? Although you may wish it, I think very few believe he’ll be removed. Maybe the OP could add a poll?

Hmm... I don't think I could add a poll anymore. Although, I think it's 50/50 of Dubas being fired, I'm curious who people want to replace him.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Hmm... I don't think I could add a poll anymore. Although, I think it's 50/50 of Dubas being fired, I'm curious who people want to replace him.
If you can’t I’m sure a mod could.
Thinking about it ‘Maybe’ would probably be a popular choice. :laugh:

killer1980

Sep 15, 2014
Kirkland Lake

They are a regular season team not a playoff team. I could care less if Matthews scored 100 goals and Marner got 200 points. They do not lay it on the line when it counts. Too few players on this team are willing to sacrifice their bodies to get the puck. Only Hyman seems to do that but he couldn't stand on Woodbine Beach and put the puck in Lake Ontario.

Reactions: geo25 and Racer88

67leafs

Oct 17, 2019
They added the wrong kind of grit IMO.
We need grit like Gallagher, tkachuk, etc

Coachcorner

Senor Martinez
Sep 28, 2017
Where did it all go wrong for the Maple Leafs?
already told it but the agenda is clear on tsn etc. : WHAT*S NEXT FOR DUBAS.

So he aint going nowhere :biglaugh: Analyze all you want, but the agenda is clear. He stays. FOR LIFE.

Also there was an article: This is the worst off season yet for shanahan........................................... The worst yet :laugh: OKEE OKEE. Like the ones before this wasn't. They both staying, you can read it so easily. Learn bout life son.

Reactions: Blowfish

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad