New for 2014-2015: Canadian Independent Junior Hockey Leauge

sam2020

Apr 1, 2014
As it is now Canada does have far too many jr a leagues now we got this new west coast league plus the new Ontario League.

Dec 13, 2010
This league is unique in that it has no import limit..seems like the goal is to attract Americans who won't have any sort of eligibility issues playing in a Canadian independent league but also have interest in Major Junior or BCHL hockey.

LetsGoIslanders

Mar 6, 2005
NYC
The CHL needs to decide whether to pay their players a decent wage or not pay them at all. Right now, you have teams like London, Edmonton, Windsor, and Portland who make millions off players earning hundreds of dollars a month.

If I was the CHL I'd go to a no-pay model. Teams like Val d'Or, Brandon, or Prince George can't absorb a realistic pay model. Furthermore, players should be able to leave the league for NCAA teams after high school. Also it would put pressure on the CHL to improve academic standards and reduce the ridiculous schedule they put 16 and 17 year olds through. As it stands currently, CHL players miss so much class they are so behind their peers. They have to play in the ECHL or lower leagues because hockey is all they know.

Last edited:

sam2020

Apr 1, 2014
The CHL needs to decide whether to pay their players a decent wage or not pay them at all. Right now, you have teams like London, Edmonton, Windsor, and Portland who make millions off players earning hundreds of dollars a month.

If I was the CHL I'd go to a no-pay model. Teams like Val d'Or, Brandon, or Prince George can't absorb a realistic pay model. Furthermore, players should be able to leave the league for NCAA teams after high school. Also it would put pressure on the CHL to improve academic standards and reduce the ridiculous schedule they put 16 and 17 year olds through. As it stands currently, CHL players miss so much class they are so behind their peers. They have to play in the ECHL or lower leagues because hockey is all they know.

As for the Ncaa if thhis idea college kids should be paid to play plus get a full ride i think its going to do alot of harm to the Ncaa and you will see a fair amount of schools drop out of d1.

CharlieGirl

Thank you Mr. Snider
Jun 24, 2003
Kitchener, ON
Visit site

No junior team makes "millions". None.

Canadian91

May 8, 2009
Ottawa
CIHL got a little closer to reality yesterday, they're now part of the UHU, under the Amateur Athletic Union.

http://www.northumberlandview.ca/index.php?module=news&type=user&func=display&sid=28987

EDIT:

This portion of the article with potential expansion cities is notable.

The CIHL intends to announce individual member teams throughout the next several weeks as each team meets their final screening and AAU approvals. Final CIHL team approval is now based on meeting the AAU Membership screening approval process and individual teams having secured their own community ice time commitments.

The CIHL Executive Branch has approved the following possible 28 CIHL community locations in order to begin the final approval process for both this coming season and CIHL future expansion.

Sault Ste. Marie
Wawa, Ontario
Port Hope
Elliot Lake
Markham
Espanola
Wexford
Greater Sudbury
Toronto
Muskoka
Milton
Barry’s Bay