Post-Game Talk: New Day, New Game, New Jersey @ Noon PST

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eirikrautha

So what was the consensus on Sammy's play today?
Well, he let in two routine pucks, and made a couple of difficult saves. So, drawing too much of a conclusion based on just this one outing, you can't trust him. And that's not good for a team. You have to trust everyone to do their job. When you can't, you start cheating on yours to make up for theirs. Not good...

Holtbyisms

Matt Irwin is a legit talent
Jul 1, 2012
Bedford, PA
So what was the consensus on Sammy's play today?
Shaky at first, seemed to settle down. Wasn't tested a ton. Both goals were stoppable but I don't expect him to pitch shutouts every night. Not bad for his 5th game in 6-7 weeks. Hard to say how hard the virus hit him either. I'm sure he's healthy enough for hockey or he wouldn't be playing but who knows if he really feels 100 yet.

BallardEra

Leafs&Caps Since 1982™
Dec 26, 2017
East York, Ontario
Well, he let in two routine pucks, and made a couple of difficult saves. So, drawing too much of a conclusion based on just this one outing, you can't trust him. And that's not good for a team. You have to trust everyone to do their job. When you can't, you start cheating on yours to make up for theirs. Not good...

Just saw the two goals. I'd say the second goal looked worse than first one. Think the first one might have been touched by the stick from Caps player.

His first game back though so I'll take the W.

Reactions: max21

max21

NBA Yungboy
Apr 17, 2019
Virginia
They did what they should have, get 4 points from the Devils. Have a few afternoon beers boys.
upload_2021-2-28_17-55-15.gif

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Just saw the two goals. I'd say the second goal looked worse than first one. Think the first one might have been touched by the stick from Caps player.

His first game back though so I'll take the W.
Both looked soft but were a bit more difficult than appeared at first. The Orlov deflection on the first shot changed trajectory and speed which made it tough. Jensen couldn’t have played the second goal any worse. He just let Sharangovich move uncontested into the slot and then didn’t get stick on pick. Both were leaky that speaks to his timing being off but that’s to be expected after so much time off.

Devil Dancer

Jan 21, 2006
Every year a young team or two makes the leap from bottom feeder to playoff contender.

Looks like it won't be NJD this year.

Roughing

Oct 11, 2010
Frederick, MD
Carlson is 2nd in the league in defensemen scoring with 3 games in hand. The Caps pp is 4th in the league. He leads the team in minutes and the team is in first place. He was on the ice for the last shift protecting a win. I think he is earning his check just fine

All true. He also frequently looks like shit on D. I only care about the playoffs though.

Ovie's Neighbor

Jan 23, 2007
Carlson is 2nd in the league in defensemen scoring with 3 games in hand. The Caps pp is 4th in the league. He leads the team in minutes and the team is in first place. He was on the ice for the last shift protecting a win. I think he is earning his check just fine
Carlson has had an amazing Caps career and will go down as one of our best defensemen. But he simply isn’t a top pairing defenseman on most contenders. His skating has gotten so bad and his decision making is not great. He still has a super active stick and his breakout passes are great.

Reactions: koalabear9301

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
he simply isn’t a top pairing defenseman on most contenders..

He was a minutes leading defenseman on a cup winner and the Caps have won their division 5 years in a row, going on 6. No point in going on about this. I wont change any minds. Pretty soon they will let fans back in the arena and you guys can bring back the whoop whoop

Corby78

65 - 10 - 20
Jan 14, 2014
Ramstein Germany
I honestly think the Norris talk last year really hurt some people’s opinion of Carlson. He has been a good defensive guy with great offensive skill. Now people have this bar that he should be the best defensive guy in the NHL. He has some shakey games this year, but he has also made some really nice plays on both ends. He is also going against the best lines most nights.
I like the Carlson/Dillon pairing

Ovie's Neighbor

Jan 23, 2007
He was a minutes leading defenseman on a cup winner and the Caps have won their division 5 years in a row, going on 6. No point in going on about this. I wont change any minds. Pretty soon they will let fans back in the arena and you guys can bring back the whoop whoop
I think he has regressed significantly in terms of his defense since the cup run. Which is fine. I have nothing against him. I just don’t think he is that good defensively.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I think he has regressed significantly in terms of his defense since the cup run. Which is fine. I have nothing against him. I just don’t think he is that good defensively.

Disagree. But I get it.

Meanwhile, is the window still closed? Was that a hard closed or was it more like a cold night where you close the window to keep the heat from escaping and you can reopen the window in the morning?

Reactions: Ridley Simon
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad