New Back Check: Feisty Short(er) Wingers

rnhaas

Jun 11, 2018
Toronto
www.thebackcheck.com
Our latest episode focuses on three wingers from roughly the same era, who scored a lot, had some PIMs, and one of whom was very very small for a hockey player. A little bit of a change of pace for us this episode, with two eligible players and one inducted player. So no old timer this time.

Do any of these guys belong in the Hockey Hall of Fame?
You can listen here or on iTunes as usual. Show notes at the above links.

Thanks as always for allowing us to post our episodes here and thanks for listening.

rnhaas

Jun 11, 2018
Toronto
www.thebackcheck.com
It's just a one-time thing, we're going back to including old timers with the next episode. Just a spur-of-the-moment decision to talk about both Fleury and Verbeek at the same time.

We're still trying to talk about players born in the 19th century when we talk about the early players so Joliat is just outside of the group. We'll get to him though.

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
We're still trying to talk about players born in the 19th century when we talk about the early players so Joliat is just outside of the group.
Babe Dye? ... short, physical scoring winger, HHOFer, football star halfback. Not sure how feisty he was. Would have to check.

But Charley "Rabbit" McVeigh would be perfect for a talk about Verbeek and Fleury. I have assembled a nice bio on the "PESTiferous" McVeigh, a fan favorite in New York. He is in the Manitoba Hall of Fame but not HHOF, his teams not so successful, his offense not peaking high enough.

I could argue Verbeek no more deserves to be inducted than McVeigh does.

(If i was at a computer instead of my smartphone i'd try and dig up the ATD bio - i can't even link with this phobe as i dunno how to cut and paste argh)

Reactions: rnhaas

tony d

New poll series coming from me on June 3
Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Always enjoy these. Fleury's case for the Hall of Fame is going to be 1 to watch over the next little while. A few weak HOF groups coming up, Fleury could get in that way. Guy was talented but not a 1st ballot Hall of Famer IMO.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad