ult

Sep 21, 2009
Saransk (8000)

Uesix49aN8s.jpg

7Puz6i6lOzI.jpg

2Zs4Cb0WVrM.jpg

Last edited:

loppa*

Does anyone have a photo of the arena in Yuzhno-Sakhalinsk? It's a small arena, not a big one, but I think it's the first one in that place. The team there plays in the Asian league, which is interesting. It may have a buddy club in Kamchatka now(or well, soon). :)

ult

Sep 21, 2009
Does anyone have a photo of the arena in Yuzhno-Sakhalinsk? It's a small arena, not a big one, but I think it's the first one in that place. The team there plays in the Asian league, which is interesting. It may have a buddy club in Kamchatka now(or well, soon). :)

1387423592.2061.362089872.jpg

skr_06042013124510.jpg

f55d664618b532.jpg

Botta

Jul 12, 2010
I thought it would be interesting to look at the list of the total number of indoor rinks in Russia...

Nov. 2015: 450
Nov. 2014: 419
June 2014: 386
June 2013: 346
June 2012: 340
June 2011: 316
June 2010: 257
June 2009: 168
Data from 2007 to June 2009: 168 (not updated or something?)

... well damn I can't use the old archive website to get the stats... http://www.iihf.com/iihf-home/countries/russia/ is a new link since 2014 - does anyone maybe have the address of the old link?

edit/add post to be eidted, this link works it seems... http://www.iihf.com/iihf-home/countries/russia.html - hm.

Pretty good rise in number of rinks in Russia. Read somewhere that the plan is to build around 700 rinks. Anyone know anything about that?

loppa*

Pretty good rise in number of rinks in Russia. Read somewhere that the plan is to build around 700 rinks. Anyone know anything about that?

The question is are these figures correct or are they false to some extent?

For Russia's size, they should aim for 1000 rinks, in my opinion. Of course, some of those rinks would be small ones, some having as low as 500 seat capacity. Every university for example could have a rink. Every small town should have a rink, every big city should have multiple rinks. This would be a huge infrastructural investment... so it should be a long term sort of goal.

I asked some person who follows/knows hockey more than me about this rink statistic... they suggested that maybe there is this big increase in number of rinks due to the olympics in sochi?

DELCOUR

Jul 12, 2006
Galactica Park Arena

Hello can anyone give me information on a KHL team playing in AEG'S GALACTICA PARK ARENA? Thank You

DELCOUR

Jul 12, 2006
Galactica Park Arena

Hello can anyone give me information on a KHL team playing in AEG'S GALACTICA PARK ARENA? Thank You

loppa*

A quick google search indicates that no team plays there, and that this is not built yet. It may be finished in 2018, but I am not even sure if this project is a done deal or not.

edit/add: the only news source on this that I find is from 2012, so that's kinda old. As nothing pops up since that time, I think it's a fair guess to assume that this project is not in the works.

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
The question is are these figures correct or are they false to some extent?

For Russia's size, they should aim for 1000 rinks, in my opinion. Of course, some of those rinks would be small ones, some having as low as 500 seat capacity. Every university for example could have a rink. Every small town should have a rink, every big city should have multiple rinks. This would be a huge infrastructural investment... so it should be a long term sort of goal.

I asked some person who follows/knows hockey more than me about this rink statistic... they suggested that maybe there is this big increase in number of rinks due to the olympics in sochi?

I believe the increase of the rink number is mainly because the construction of smaller rinks (less than 200 seats or no seats at all) has been rather intense recently, as those are rather cheap and fast to construct. For example, recent opening of the Tropic Arena in Tula. I think I was able to find more similar examples, when I googled regional news sites some time ago, so projects like this might be rather widespread.

Urbanskog

Platinum Member
Feb 8, 2014
Helsinki
The IIHF participation numbers – while not always completely accurate – also indicate significant growth for Russia. It appears that the sport is developing the right way in the country.

Peter25

Sep 20, 2003
Visit site
The IIHF participation numbers – while not always completely accurate – also indicate significant growth for Russia. It appears that the sport is developing the right way in the country.
Yes. New arenas/rinks and increasing number of juniors should make the game stronger in Russia.

loppa*

Mission to Novosibirsk. KHL top management descend on Siberia
24 November 2015, 07:48 News

There were some famous and illustrious faces among the 7,400 spectators who watched Sibir defeat Avangard in Novosibirsk on Monday, including KHL President Dmitry Chernyshenko. The League’s chief headed a delegation of VIPs, including IIHF President René Fasel, on a working visit to the city to examine the local hockey infrastructure and liaise with senior figures in regional government and Novosibirsk hockey.

Mr. Chernyshenko began the visit by meeting Vladimir Gorodetsky, the Governor of Novosibirsk Region, and Dmitry Bosov, head of HC Sibir Supervisory Board. The delegates then joined Mr. Fasel and Sibir General Manager Kirill Fastovsky to attend the opening of a new training rink built for the local hockey school and the Novosibirsk MHL team, the Siberian Snipers.

Mr. Chernyshenko gave his summary of the trip: “Hockey is one of the most fully developed and popular sports throughout the Novosibirsk region, with more than 9,500 players and over 200 hockey rinks, including 12 indoor arenas with artificial ice. The game’s flagship in the region is HC Sibir - one of the most popular teams in the KHL, and the team’s home arena, the Sibir Ice Palace, is the only stadium in the League that is regularly filled to capacity.

However, this fact illustrates the need to build a new, bigger and more modern arena in Novosibirsk, one which is fully able to meet the demands of the city, the club, the fans and the KHL Regulations. Steps are already being taken to attract investors to back the construction of a new stadium that can seat up to 14,500 spectators, and the regional authorities are eager to participate in the provision of modern engineering and transport infrastructure for the project.â€

http://en.khl.ru/news/2015/11/24/239235.html

loppa*

That's a very old rendering of the image... who knows if that is still accurate/ up do date, or what...

The actual thing, if it gets done, or even started in any manner, may look very different.

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
That's a very old rendering of the image... who knows if that is still accurate/ up do date, or what...

The actual thing, if it gets done, or even started in any manner, may look very different.

Yes, it's 2 years old, but since they paid good money for the project, I doubt that they will make a completely new one every two years, although who knows.

Acallabeth

Post approved by Ovechkin
Jul 30, 2011
Moscow
And, specially for Loppa, neither the helicopter nor the balloons are included :sarcasm:

Building the arena near that bridge would be a disaster. There's already a huge, enormous traffic trouble there.

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
It's not a real project, more like a concept.

I believe it was a part of the project though, as I was reading that they paid some Norvegian guys for the project itself (and not just for the concept).

And, specially for Loppa, neither the helicopter nor the balloons are included :sarcasm:

Building the arena near that bridge would be a disaster. There's already a huge, enormous traffic trouble there.

That's the October bridge, right? But yes, city center doesn't sound like a perfect place for the arena. Although google maps still show that you can get to it from Berdsk at around an hour in the heavy traffic hours, so that doesn't sound that bad.

Acallabeth

Post approved by Ovechkin
Jul 30, 2011
Moscow
That's the October bridge, right? But yes, city center doesn't sound like a perfect place for the arena. Although google maps still show that you can get to it from Berdsk at around an hour in the heavy traffic hours, so that doesn't sound that bad.

Yes, this is October/Oktyabrskiy bridge. You sometimes need an hour just to cross it, and the jam of cars coming from the right shore of Novosibirsk to the left one (~600k people on a relatively small territory) in the evening (when the games start) is glorious. Studencheskaya metro station would be our only hope.

I understand though, Novosib is a large city, it will be even harder for half of it to get to the arena if it's built in a suburb.

stars33

Jan 29, 2011
New York
It looks like Sibir, Automobilist and Torpedo are going to get new arenas. Does anybody have news on Spartak and CSKA Moscow? What about the Mega sport arena?

Exarz

Jan 1, 2014
Helsinki
It looks like Sibir, Automobilist and Torpedo are going to get new arenas. Does anybody have news on Spartak and CSKA Moscow? What about the Mega sport arena?

CSKA have plans on building a new arena, Megasport is under renovation

Rossiya*

When Dynamo's new arena is ready then VTB Ice Palace could go to Spartak or CSKA if they drag their feet on building the new one.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad