NESN NESN technical issues have become an embarrasment

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
When I started in the TV business getting the signal from the venue to the station could be challenging but we got it done.

40 years ago CBC in Montreal told WSBK because of a technician strike they could not cover a game in the Forum but they would allow a Boston crew to feed the game back - we had 30 hours notice.

The TV38 mobile unit went to the Forum, and we got permission to microwave the signal to Vermont. No issues at all.............

nickyb

May 5, 2004
Yep, it is pretty embarassing/frustrating and an absolute clown show some nights.

Reactions: BMC

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
When I started in the TV business getting the signal from the venue to the station could be challenging but we got it done.

40 years ago CBC in Montreal told WSBK because of a technician strike they could not cover a game in the Forum but they would allow a Boston crew to feed the game back - we had 30 hours notice.

The TV38 mobile unit went to the Forum, and we got permission to microwave the signal to Vermont. No issues at all.............
And let me guess....

In those days did the sound system look like this?

paper-cups-feature.jpg

:sarcasm:

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
Bring back WSBK!
I remember as a kid in perfect conditions we could tune into WSBK here in Ontario on UHF. So I always Hoped for perfect weather on game nights.

Sportsnet uses the NESN feed in Canada a lot. There has been a few times this season it was so bad, they got frustrated and switched to the opponent feed.

caz16

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 11, 2011
Ontario
I find it so frustrating - I look forward to having the NESN feed but SportsNet has to switch to the other feed because of the poor quality and freezing for some games. Suddenly Jack and Brick are gone and it drives me crazy. No excuse for that crap.

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
It's not just NESN, Comcast sucks too. It's a coin flip which is going to be pixelatingly unwatchable on any given night, Comcast or the NESN360 feed. Knock on wood that it hasn't been both for the same game . . . yet.

bbfan419

Jul 3, 2006
Moncton NB
You would think that in 2024 with the technology we have now that these problems would not exist, but maybe today's technology is the problem? Like Dom mentioned above Sportsnet here in Canada often uses the NESN broadcast, but a few times they had to switch to the other team's broadcast, it happened recently in the game with Florida.

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
You would think that in 2024 with the technology we have now that these problems would not exist, but maybe today's technology is the problem? Like Dom mentioned above Sportsnet here in Canada often uses the NESN broadcast, but a few times they had to switch to the other team's broadcast, it happened recently in the game with Florida.
Back in the early 2000's, I got a hold of a US satellite here in Canada. I had to get a compass to make sure I was pointing it in exactly the correct position to pick up NESN. Never a quality issue. Or anything for that matter.

Bad NESN quality
Terrible AHL quality
Terrible ice quality.

Nothing a little bit of money can't fix. But hey, it's not my money. I'd send everyone's money here if I could.

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006
Back in the early 2000's, I got a hold of a US satellite here in Canada. I had to get a compass to make sure I was pointing it in exactly the correct position to pick up NESN. Never a quality issue. Or anything for that matter.

Bad NESN quality
Terrible AHL quality
Terrible ice quality.

Nothing a little bit of money can't fix. But hey, it's not my money. I'd send everyone's money here if I could.
It’s all about the money. Werner………

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas

The tech does exist and other stations use it...problem is Henry isnt going to put a dime into upgrading something when its working.

Reactions: bbfan419

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
I have DirecTV and I have never had a problem either with picture or audio quality that wasn't weather related. I How long that will last I do not know.

HustleB

Cautiously Optimistic
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2017
Welcome to the Jungle
So the other night I was streaming NESN 360 during the Tampa game. All of a sudden, the stream stops and they start asking me if I would like to subscribe. Logged into my computer, couldn't start the game. Checked my ipad and could watch the game. So I only missed a few minutes, but NESN should be embarassed. They charge a small fortune and the product is not nearly good enough to justify this.

Reactions: Bocephus86

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
So the other night I was streaming NESN 360 during the Tampa game. All of a sudden, the stream stops and they start asking me if I would like to subscribe. Logged into my computer, couldn't start the game. Checked my ipad and could watch the game. So I only missed a few minutes, but NESN should be embarassed. They charge a small fortune and the product is not nearly good enough to justify this.

I tried NESN360 from my Roku last week and the app showed no content. Nothing. Just a menu and everything else was blank. Next day it was working fine.

Reactions: Bocephus86

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
The tech does exist and other stations use it...problem is Henry isnt going to put a dime into upgrading something when its working.
He has made his money in this town and used to invest in other endeavors and those of us who helped his cause, can go F themselves now................

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
NESN use to be one of the better quality rsn's in the game. Now, they've got to be one of the worst.

I'm paying 30 bucks for the NESN 360 app every month without the opportunity to record games. It's not like people are dishing out money to watch Dining Playbook or whatever that awful Boston nightlife show is called. I'm only using this to catch the game, which I'm guessing 99 percent of us are doing the same thing. If I miss a game, it's frustrating trying to find a convenient time to catch a replay.

With the price point and lack of DVR function, sound issues, and them treating Jack Edwards like Stan Lee's handlers were in his final year, it's time NESN get the public kick in the nuts they deserve. I hope Felger and other high profile media members continue to bash them some more.

nonoffensiveusername

May 23, 2009
I've got ESPN+ and have switched to watching the other teams' broadcasts. Between the tech issues and Jack, I can't watch NESN anymore.

Reactions: lopey

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad