News Article: Nelson (Elliot Friedman)

Squirrel in the Hole

Be the best squirrel in the hole
Feb 18, 2004
Sydney
From Elliott Friedman "30 Thoughts". Take a look at number 19 (how poetic!):

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/30-thoughts-islanders-working-hard-john-tavares-extension-pitch/

19. It is very rare that players reach out to me to promote their coaches, but one did last week. He texted on behalf of AHL Grand Rapids coach Todd Nelson, who was in Edmonton before Todd McLellan. The Griffins are up 2–0 on Milwaukee in the first round of the playoffs. Anthony Mantha took big strides under Nelson. He felt Nelson deserved more “buzz” around his name.

Not clear if it was Mantha that contacted Friedman, but what a ringing endorsement. If the Griffins go far into the playoffs or win the Calder Cup, you can bet some NHL teams will come calling. Which kind of puts Holland in the same spot he was two years ago: promote the AHL coach, the one that's making the younger players better, or lose him.

I know this is well-trodden ground on this board, but, as Friedman pointed out, it's rare that this sort of endorsement comes from a player.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Maybe I'm reading too much into it, but praising Nelson for half a season and not Blashill for the longer period of time comes across as kind of a slight.

Well, Blashill already has an NHL job. It'd be more telling if Freidman was speculating about guys being interviewed around the league and Mantha called him suggesting that Blashill get a look somewhere. ;)

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
Well, Blashill already has an NHL job. It'd be more telling if Freidman was speculating about guys being interviewed around the league and Mantha called him suggesting that Blashill get a look somewhere. ;)
I'm just saying if Mantha said Nelson was the one who truly had an effect on him, that's kind of an odd thing to say, given he spent so much more time with Blashill.

It's sort of like saying your last boss was the best boss you've ever had... in front of your current boss. You're not explicitly saying anything insulting, but it does kind of feel that way.

wingsnut19

Apr 9, 2007
Maybe I'm reading too much into it, but praising Nelson for half a season and not Blashill for the longer period of time comes across as kind of a slight.
I'm sure that Mantha was perfectly fine with Blashill as an AHL coach, just as most Wings fans were.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
I'm just saying if Mantha said Nelson was the one who truly had an effect on him, that's kind of an odd thing to say, given he spent so much more time with Blashill.

It's sort of like saying your last boss was the best boss you've ever had... in front of your current boss. You're not explicitly saying anything insulting, but it does kind of feel that way.

Seriously, stop looking for microaggressions. Mantha loved playing for Nelson. That's it. It doesn't mean he hates Blashill or that he's unhappy in Detroit or anything. It means that Nelson meshed with Mantha's needs as a player.

wingsnut19

Apr 9, 2007
I'm not sure Mantha was fine with being benched virtually all year long. Which he was. If Mantha is fine with Blashill after that year, he's a really forgiving person.
Yeah, I meant to imply that Blashill is in over his head as a NHL head coach but was fine in the AHL.

SimplySolace

"We like our team"
Jun 30, 2013
Why would Friedman keep it vague about who texted him, but then name drop Mantha? Wasn't Mantha who texted him..

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
As soon as I read 30 thoughts yesterday I started wondering how long it would be before some sort of (for lack of better term) consipiracy started circulating about Mantha/Blash/Nelson.

Personally, I think it's as simple as Mantha truly believing that's Nelson deserves a new opportunity. Hopefully Detroit can find a way to keep him in the fold.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
The following scenario would be 100% innocent:
* Mantha hears several coaches mentioned for various jobs
* Nelson isn't among them
* He feels Nelson is a great coach and deserves a shot
* He texts Friedman to give his boy some love

That just means he stays current on hockey news, and likes his former coach.

However, it would have also been very interesting if Friedman followed up by asking Mantha how he felt about his first full year with the big club, and what he thought about how Blashill has handled his development.

But based on how he responded here , I'm guessing everything is on the up and up.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Jul 6, 2012
I'm not sure Mantha was fine with being benched virtually all year long. Which he was. If Mantha is fine with Blashill after that year, he's a really forgiving person.

Wasn't Mantha coming off a broken leg? And kinda lollygagging to go along with that? I feel like if he's okay with Blash now... he'd have been okay with him then. I get the feeling that the Wings have been straight with Mantha over and over what level of commitment he needs to have and when he doesn't meet those standards, he doesn't play. When he does, he plays and plays a lot.

Just everything that has come out in regards to Mantha seems very black and white. Work hard, get rewarded. Slack off, get punished.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Wasn't Mantha coming off a broken leg? And kinda lollygagging to go along with that? I feel like if he's okay with Blash now... he'd have been okay with him then. I get the feeling that the Wings have been straight with Mantha over and over what level of commitment he needs to have and when he doesn't meet those standards, he doesn't play. When he does, he plays and plays a lot.

Just everything that has come out in regards to Mantha seems very black and white. Work hard, get rewarded. Slack off, get punished.
I can understand an organization sending that message, and using those methods to do so.

I can also understand a player agreeing with the message being sent...Yet also being frustrated that the same standards do not always apply to all players equally.

At times this season, it felt like some of the vets could have an occasional bad effort game, yet stay unpunished, while Mantha and AA would get the proverbial ruler to the knuckles each and every time they coasted.

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
At times this season, it felt like some of the vets could have an occasional bad effort game, yet stay unpunished, while Mantha and AA would get the proverbial ruler to the knuckles each and every time they coasted.

This is not unique to the Red Wings, Hockey or even sports. Individuals with experience and a long track record are given more leeway.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
As soon as I read 30 thoughts yesterday I started wondering how long it would be before some sort of (for lack of better term) consipiracy started circulating about Mantha/Blash/Nelson.

Personally, I think it's as simple as Mantha truly believing that's Nelson deserves a new opportunity. Hopefully Detroit can find a way to keep him in the fold.

Tell him be an assistant coach for a year or half a year and if blash gets fired he takes over. Or if no improvement happens he takes over.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Jul 6, 2012
With GR two games from winning the Calder Cup, do you think this changes things?

No. AHL championships don't mean a whole lot to me.

Blash won in 2013 and everyone would trade him for a kick in the nuts now. Like, they'd take a kick in the nuts to have him gone.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
No. AHL championships don't mean a whole lot to me.

Blash won in 2013 and everyone would trade him for a kick in the nuts now. Like, they'd take a kick in the nuts to have him gone.

By they you mean basically everyone who isn't in the Wings organization.

Just because this team performed at or near expectations doesn't mean it's Blashill fault. This team has one of the worst rosters top to bottom of any team, expecting him to get them into the playoffs is unrealistic.

If you expect a time to compete for the playoffs you're in the wrong business.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad