Confirmed with Link: Neil to be honored for 1000th Career NHL game on Dec. 14th

The Professional

Sens Army Special Operations Command
Dec 4, 2005
Aylmer, Québec
Figured this warranted its own thread. We all know Neil is closing in on a big mile stone. The Senators confirmed the other day that Neil will be honored with a special ceremony before the game against San Jose on December 14th, as Neil is set to play his 1000th career NHL game against LA during the upcoming California road trip, barring any injury.

Here is a promotional video the Sens posted today ahead of this event featuring Alfie and Fisher, among others, talking about Neil. :handclap:

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
He earned it.

Guys of his ilk rarely play this amount of games. He was an absolute warrior, a throwback to old school hockey, and was able to play in the new NHL. There are not many guys like him, glad I was able to watch him.

He earned the respect of everyone.

ToastrStutzle

Feb 1, 2016
Ottawa
He earned it.

Guys of his ilk rarely play this amount of games. He was an absolute warrior, a throwback to old school hockey, and was able to play in the new NHL. There are not many guys like him, glad I was able to watch him.

He earned the respect of everyone.

Took the words right out of my mouth.

He's had a great year so far too, one if his strongest in recent memories.

Class act all around. He's also never been suspended - always played hard but clean.

Countdown0

Deep Breath... nope, still mad!
Jun 28, 2010
Ottawa
Neil gets a lot of hate around the league, but I would be shocked if there were any players who wouldn't love to have him on their team.

Well deserved honour. He's a special kind of player. Fights anyone, smiles when he starts bleeding, and is still effective in an era where speed and skill run the game, where most of the typical 'enforcers' aren't. Neiler is hardly typical though.

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
Congrats to one of the best troopers out there. One of the most unique players I've ever seen. Those toe drags kill me every time.

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
1000 games averaging over 10min TOI, nearly 250 points (0.25ppg) and 2500 PIM (or 41.5 games total), 0 suspensions.

Pretty amazing.

Hutz

Sep 7, 2007
I remember when he broke into the league and I assumed he was just another in a long line of goons who was destined to become an NHL/AHL journeyman tough guy. Boy, did he prove me wrong!

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Neil's a legend. Amazing to think every fight, every hit, every shot was for the Ottawa Senators.

thinkwild

Veni Vidi Toga
Jul 29, 2003
Ottawa
Way to go Neil. I remember when he was getting the first call up too. Someone had described him as a Todd Harvey type. Not too bad a call. But he really became an archetype. Teams wanted a Chris Neil type player. And still adapting and remaining valuable.

The only real time i can think of him clearly getting the worst of a fight was against Jesse Boulerice, who managed to swing him around the way Domi often tried to do, and caught him flush breaking his jaw, although it took a while for him to get that diagnosis.

Big milestone for a great team guy.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Neat, I have tickets for this one.

As one of the board's resident old-timers, I can recall saying quite confidently that Neil would not have much of a career and be stapled to the 4th line for his hockey lifetime.

One of the happier misjudgments on my part. ;)

He evolved his game from pugilist to energy scrapper and agitator with a great deal of passion and determination.

Equal to his loyalty to the team and his teammates was his discipline, undoubtedly deeply ingrained from his tenure under Jacques Martin. Not one to fly off the handle unnecessarily, he could be remarkably restrained when he had to be.

I think this was a major reason why he was rewarded with an increasing role on the team (including Assistant Captaincy) and icetime.

He's also a master of chipping the puck out of the zone and into the zone without icing the puck. A surprisingly useful skill.

Countdown0 said:
Neil gets a lot of hate around the league, but I would be shocked if there were any players who wouldn't love to have him on their team.

It's one of those things where, as a player ages, he goes from pest and annoyance to respected journeyman veteran.

I'd say the only places where they really still despise Neil is Buffalo and maybe Montreal.

TeamRenzo

Jul 20, 2009
I look forward to the day when his jersey is hanging in the rafters at CTC/new arena, he has been a warrior for this team. Think about how many punches this man has eaten for his team.

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007
I don't think I've ever seen Neil completely outmatched in a fight other than his bout against Brashear and Lucic and hes been in tons of them.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I look forward to the day when his jersey is hanging in the rafters at CTC/new arena, he has been a warrior for this team. Think about how many punches this man has eaten for his team.

Personally, I don't think he or Chris Phillips should have their numbers retired.

Put him in some kind of roll of honour in one of the concourses.

I think you have to be an elite NHL player who contributed significantly to the fortunes of the team.

He definitely has the second aspect but not the first.

Sens Rule

Sep 22, 2005
Personally, I don't think he or Chris Phillips should have their numbers retired.

Put him in some kind of roll of honour in one of the concourses.

I think you have to be an elite NHL player who contributed significantly to the fortunes of the team.

He definitely has the second aspect but not the first.

I understand that attitude. I disagree though. We are a young franchise. Retiring the 1000 game career Senator legends is absolutely fine with me. Still will be 97 numbers to pick from.

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
Senator lifer with > 1000 games, should be automatic jersey number retirement in this day and age of free agency.

saskriders

Can't Hold Leads
Sep 11, 2010
Calgary
Senator lifer with > 1000 games, should be automatic jersey number retirement in this day and age of free agency.

I have been saying for a few years that 1000 games with the Sens should guarantee number retirement. Even if the player wasn't a superstar they were still part of the team for 10+ years, and good enough to make it to 1000 games.

Proust*

Dec 8, 2010
Was always great in the playoffs. Stood out since there wasn't much grit on the team. His best stat is his 0 suspensions. One of the best clean hitters of our time.

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
I have been saying for a few years that 1000 games with the Sens should guarantee number retirement. Even if the player wasn't a superstar they were still part of the team for 10+ years, and good enough to make it to 1000 games.
Now watch him as he signs with Detroit next year. :laugh:
(though I guess that doesn't erase the 1000 games with the Sens)

Rand0m

Oct 2, 2011
I was just thinking... maybe we should start a campaign to write-in Neil for the All-Star game, he's way more deserving than John Scott was.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I don't really want to follow a trend of voting fourth liners into the all-star game.

I'm glad it worked out for Scott but it's been done and there is more worthy talent out there.

Just IMO.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad