Need Your Help!

OilerNut*

I have an issue and was wondering if anyone has an idea on how to approach it.

On our team we have 3 lines of forwards usually and I always end up centring the 3rd line. The only issue I have with playing on the 3rd line is our captain always puts the two worst guys on the team on my wing. They are so bad in fact that one guy can't figure out if he is left handed or right handed. Faceoffs in our defensive zone and if I lose the draw and the puck gets put back to the point the two of them just stand there instead of rushing to the point to apply pressure.

Now what do you guys think, am I on that line because I am just as bad of a player or is it to try and cover up their mistakes?

I hate to say anything as both guys are really good guys but they just don't listen and seem to want to do their own thing out on the ice. Also we can never get out of our end as they just pass it around the points and I end up skating around everywhere to try and cover these guys.

It is to the point where I don't even enjoy playing anymore as the 2 other lines they manage to get chances and able to score a couple goals a game and here I am stuck with dumb and dumber.

I figure I can't be that bad of a player because I play with a couple other group of guys who play every week and those games get pretty intense and I can usually get 2-3 goals a game in those games and create scoring chances for other guys.

MikeD

Jul 3, 2006
Buffalo NY
www.hawksice.com
sounds like your there to balance the line. Would you really rather not play at all than anchor the third line? It may be tough but not all offensive players can have a scoring role. If you can help keep the lines plus/minus close to zero then your doing just as much a valuable job as the #1 line. Sometimes you just have to accept the roll your given.

Jeffw-13

Mar 23, 2006
I captain a beer league team myself and also coach Midget U16.

You need to talk to your captain about having him explaining their responsibilities in the defensive zone. The wings have the easiest job coverage wise of anyone on the ice so if they aren't willing to execute it then maybe they need to sit a shift or two, tho' that's hard to do in a beer league situation.

I know exactly how you feel. I put myself centering the third line with a couple beginners so that the two other centers who are stronger players than me can skate with the better wings and hopefully get us some goals.

My line concentrates on just keeping the other team off the board & clearing the puck out of the zone.

EmptyNetter

Jun 22, 2006
North Shore, MA
I think you should have a heart to heart with your captain. You could ask him (without being defensive) if there's something (positionally) that you're weak on that is getting you stuck on the 3rd line. Could be that you're just 3rd on the depth chart for centers. If it's not you that's the problem, see if you can discuss your linemates and how to get them to play better. If they're not listening now they might if you stop passing the puck to them.

I'm one of the newest guys on my rec league team and have only played pickup before (I'm now a LW). A few games in people stopped being polite and broke down where I was deficient -- trying to play the puck with one hand, not covering the points in our end, etc. I think it's easier to teach when the "problem" player takes the initative and asks what he's doing wrong, but peer pressure and some good natured ribbing can force the situation if necessary.

JLHockeyKnight

IMA Real American
Apr 19, 2006
North Central Jersey
Definitely talk to your captain and figure out what's going on. Don't get angry, that doesn't work. Talk it out responsibly and see if they can try throwing you on the second line for a few shifts in some games to see how you play with better players. Just be careful, if your captain is on a power trip or holds grudges, talking to him like this could be a REALLY BAD THING. Trust me I know from experience.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad