Need Help - 1st time Composite Shaft shopping

TH1Pool

Apr 22, 2006
Lancaster, PA
For all of my hockey playing life I have been using one piece wooden sticks.

I am now finally deciding to make the switch over to a two piece composite stick.

Can anybody help me out by recommending a shaft that is light in weight, grippy, and durable?

How durable are the Synergy IIs? Any others I should know about? I want to get a low-kickpoint stick that takes tapered blades.

thank you.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
If budget is a consideration, HockeyMonkey.com has been clearing out the Mission L-2 and RBK 6K tapered shafts.

http://www.hockeymonkey.com/rbk-hockey-shaft-blade-6k-combo.html
http://www.hockeymonkey.com/sfrbl2combosrc.html

Tough to beat those prices since they come with two replacement blades. I have a pro stock L-2 + L-2 blade....it's a little bit blade heavy. Slightly noticeable compared to my other one piece sticks (Synergy SL, Bauer XXX). But once I'm actually playing, you don't really notice much. Unfortunately no grip on the L-2.

My roommate has an intermediate Synthesis (the previous version of the Synergy II). Paired with the carbon blade, it felt perfectly balanced. The blade didn't last too long, but he was using it outdoors.

Heard plenty of good things about the Warrior Dolomite tapered shaft. If you got noodle arms like me, you might appreciate the option of having a 75 flex senior shaft.

TBLfan

Nov 25, 2005
Tampa, FL
tblfan.wordpress.com
I always recomend the ultralite shaft. It uses standard blades, is very lightweight and durable. Very good shaft and not too pricey. The synergy II is basically a Synergy SL, the (matching) blades are expensive and not soo durable. I like tapered shafts myself but it's tough finding the right patterns. I have a couple cut OPSs that are cut for tapered blades that I'm selling for cheap if you're interested.

TH1Pool

Apr 22, 2006
Lancaster, PA
I went into a local sports shop today and asked what the difference was between tapered and non-tapered and I was told that tapered sticks allow for a more accurate and quick release.

Does it really make a huge noticable difference if it is tapered or not? I have a 100 dollar budget for the shaft.

TH1Pool

Apr 22, 2006
Lancaster, PA
I also forgot to mention that I will be using this for roller hockey, not ice hockey...so it will be on sportcourt instead of ice. I don't know how big of a difference that makes for blades.

Doctor Hook

Mar 11, 2006
Boston
Can anybody help me out by recommending a shaft that is light in weight, grippy, and durable?

The Bauer Endure is all those things and more. I loved it so much I bought another for a backup. Being a D man, I wanted durability and this shaft is a tank without being heavy.

TBLfan

Nov 25, 2005
Tampa, FL
tblfan.wordpress.com
I went into a local sports shop today and asked what the difference was between tapered and non-tapered and I was told that tapered sticks allow for a more accurate and quick release.

Does it really make a huge noticable difference if it is tapered or not? I have a 100 dollar budget for the shaft.

For most people, no. And for using it on sportcourt you could use either but since there are better(more) options for standard shafts I'd go with what's more available. This year a few more blades than just the vector v40 will be standard short hosel blades so standard shafts will be offering you lower kickpoint options.

colton23

Sep 10, 2006
RBK 6K shaft blade combo is a really good deal it is light nice feel and very durabile:yo:

Ruhnie

Feb 1, 2007
Dallas
Does anyone know if all tapered blades will work for any tapered shaft? I have synergy blades specifically, will they work on the RBK 6 or Warrior Dolomite? Thanks.

windflare

May 31, 2006
Vancouver, B.C.
Easton Ultralite.

Consistent design, flex options, a tank, looks good too. Get the white one or a grip model (red).

Start from the Easton Ultralite, for all the above reasons. Get the Ultralite Grip if you want more grip.

I myself like the Nike Apollo shafts, as they are durable and also lighter/feels better than the Ultralites, but you're gonna have to dig around to find those.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad