Post-Game Talk: Neckbeards 3, Adonises 0: Cody McLeod falls face-first into an incline press

Status
Not open for further replies.

Golden Boy

The Spy in Beantown
Mar 24, 2012
Currently Undercover
I wish Hansen had the opportunity to spend an entire season with Sundin like Kesler did... Could improve his hands like it did for Kesler... But then again that may just be wishful thinking. The guy has potential to be a top 6 forward but if only is hands could catch up to him... 2 years younger than Kesler (26) and still has plenty of room to grow.

CanadianPirate

Apr 17, 2007
Shortshorts Game Review

Sedin Sedin Kassian just dominated every shift.... I am hopeful though, they were back checking monsters today and were creating offense.

I noticed the back checking as well. They seem to be working on improving their defense. I wonder if the addition of Kassian on that line instead of Burrows has forced them to up their defensive game. That could also be one of the reasons why the offense isn't quite their yet. They could be focusing less on the offense which they know is there and more on the defense which (at least last year) is not. That would be a good thing for them as it would help improve their play in the playoffs. When the defense is solidified the offense will come.

vector209

Jan 7, 2012
Los Angeles, CA
I noticed the back checking as well. They seem to be working on improving their defense. I wonder if the addition of Kassian on that line instead of Burrows has forced them to up their defensive game. That could also be one of the reasons why the offense isn't quite their yet. They could be focusing less on the offense which they know is there and more on the defense which (at least last year) is not. That would be a good thing for them as it would help improve their play in the playoffs. When the defense is solidified the offense will come.

To be honest, I'd rather they just focus on their offense, since it's been drying up, and is the culprit behind lack of playoff success.

Jyrki

Benning has been purged! VANmen!
May 24, 2011
溫哥華
To be honest, I'd rather they just focus on their offense, since it's been drying up, and is the culprit behind lack of playoff success.

If they don't backcheck though they generate less offense. They're deft at picking pockets so they should definitively focus on getting the puck to go the other way; win-win.

Lonny Bohonos

Apr 4, 2010
Middle East
If they don't backcheck though they generate less offense. They're deft at picking pockets so they should definitively focus on getting the puck to go the other way; win-win.

Havent seen the game yet but from what Ive seen Kassian is getting back to the Nucks zone just fine.

What he does very well is his awareness of defense in the opposition zone. Hes always looking. Quite a few times hes up at the blue from in deep to defend.

Crows*

One of these games kassian is gonna get a hattrick. He gets so many chances. That one where he fired it JUST wide on a pass from hank in the third. The kid has amazing hockey sense as well. That play where he had the smarts and awareness to lift his leg up to let the puck go by to danny was awesome.

Crows*

Havent seen the game yet but from what Ive seen Kassian is getting back to the Nucks zone just fine.

What he does very well is his awareness of defense in the opposition zone. Hes always looking. Quite a few times hes up at the blue from in deep to defend.

(I've noticed this as well. Kassian is always looking around aware of what's going on around him. He's a smart hockey player.

The Optimist

Jun 5, 2009
2754 days of hell
The thing about the Sedins is that they wear down the opponent and tend to cash in during the third period. If the Sedins are tiring themselves out with backchecking harder will this lessen their effectiveness in the third period?

dsedin

May 29, 2011
post game talk starting to sound like another kassian appreciation thread:D

we need a picture of his toothless smile from tonights game

Pseudonymous*

Imagine how high his cult status will reach in Vancouver if he rag dolls Keith off the opening face-off :handclap:

This NEEDS to happen at some point and knowing how close sedins and kassian are , i wonder if kassian will feel the need to at some point during the game. I sure hope so. I am still VERY angry about that elbow

orcatown

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Weak opponent so maybe not the best game to judge from - but team did play better.

The Good

Luongo - this is the Luongo that has made us contenders for so many years. He has always been the back bone of the long win streaks that have propelled this team and his play this season, to date, has to give credence to the view that many may have been too quick in jumping on the new guys's bandwagon without really understanding what Luongo means to this team. All talk of these ridiculous trades with Toronto or whoever should stop now. There has to be instead a thorough and careful review of the goaltending situation. Schnieder has done nothing to suggest he isn't going to be very good moving ahead but keeping Luongo and trading Schneider has to be a consideration.

Also fans IMO must reject all the media hype (including the idiot local media) who are trying to create a problem where none seems to exist. I say kudos to both Luongo and Schneider for putting up with all this crap and stupidity as classfully as they have.

Burrows - really settling into the center position. Was probably our best player and critical on the pks.

Hansen - another solid effort

Volpatti - 4th line was good and I thought he was the best player on it. Showing a higher level of speed and did a good job of getting the puck out of his end and of forcing the play.

Garrison - lot more mobile in this game. Made the right play throughout the game Appeared better working with Bieksa

Tanev - consistently turned the play in the Canucks favour. Played well no matter who he played with

Ballard - puck movement, as it has been for most of the season, was very good and good job of getting the puck out of danger in his own end. Making a strong start to the season.

LaPierre - much stronger effort. Getting back to where he was last year. Can still see he is playing thru injury but huge step in the right direction tonight.

Others

Hamhuis had his good and bad moments - great play on the Kassian goal but also some brutal turnovers at the blue line. Seems overall to be getting better. Thought Bieksa effort was uneven as well.

To me Kassian struggled early with some errant passes but by the third was a force. Actually could have had a couple more. Certainly getting chances

Schroeder weakest effort to date. OK on defense but falling down too much and starting to get pushed off the puck too much. Needs to move the puck a little better and be smoother and quicker on offensive chances. Should have had the puck across to Raymond on the 2 on 1. Playing hurt so you have to give him some slack. This player is showing enough to make you believe he will cut it in the NHL but needs more time to fully develop his game. Getting a taste this year but probably needs another year or so to get comfortable at this level.

Malhotra - far and away his best performance in long time. Seemed to get less and less tentative as the game went on. By the third was skating hard and actually creating chances. Could be that he is finally coming out from under the rock he has been under since the eye injury. Still not physical but at least went a bit to the body. If this was not a one-off against a inferior team then maybe there is something to build on here. If Malhotra could ever get back to decent form it would be huge for this team. It would open up some good options for the team.

Sedins seemed more on top of the play and created numerous chances. Still their shots and finishing attempts were pretty weak. Still not there but showed some signs of improvement.

Have to say that Zanon has one awesome Yousmite Sam beard

alternate

Win the week!
Jun 9, 2006
victoria
Luongo - this is the Luongo that has made us contenders for so many years. He has always been the back bone of the long win streaks that have propelled this team and his play this season, to date, has to give credence to the view that many may have been too quick in jumping on the new guys's bandwagon without really understanding what Luongo means to this team. All talk of these ridiculous trades with Toronto or whoever should stop now. There has to be instead a thorough and careful review of the goaltending situation. Schnieder has done nothing to suggest he isn't going to be very good moving ahead but keeping Luongo and trading Schneider has to be a consideration.

No it doesn't. And it isn't. Luongo playing well isn't a new development.

CpatainCanuck

Sep 18, 2008
Canucks defence and Luongo were very impressive. Of course we must keep in mind that the Avs are a mediocre offence at best.

If you ignore the canucks opening night disaster against Anaheim, they have allowed just 10 goals in 6 games. An impressive 1.67ga/g. That's the kind of hockey they need to play, especially until Kesler and Booth come back.

YouCantYandleThis*

I really dont care who we start anymore av has baffled me with starts this year, and yet our club openly talks about trading him, i have no clue what the mindset is, either way if we beat the hawks, i give big props to whatever goalie starts.

That will be a big test.

Luongo's playing really well, what the hell is the issue here? No one has talked about trading him except media members since the season started.

Starting to seem like alot of people here were rooting for a player, rather than a team.

a mangy Meowth

Ross Colton Fan
Jun 21, 2012
Highlands Ranch, CO
Good game tonight guys, I could see at nearly every level of the game we were getting outplayed.

Pretty dark times in Avalanche land, but that's not to disparage your victory. That save by Luongo was one of the best I've ever seen and you clamped down on us all game long.

Hopefully next time we can put up a bit of a fight.

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
Do you think Jansen can play a similar game to Kassian?

Good game tonight guys, I could see at nearly every level of the game we were getting outplayed.

Pretty dark times in Avalanche land, but that's not to disparage your victory. That save by Luongo was one of the best I've ever seen and you clamped down on us all game long.

Hopefully next time we can put up a bit of a fight.

You guys are right, Sacco is a far worse coach than AV.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
Bleh. Won 3-0 but against a better team this would've likely been a loss. Still a lot of work to do and I'm not convinced this was a big step forward from the LA game.

They will need to bring something far better to the Hawks game.

My feeling on this as well.

Everyone has got to be on their game against CHI.

McLlwain

Trevor Forever
Jun 9, 2005
Cologne/Germany
Barring this wasn't a one hit wonder I really think the Canucks have finally arrived in this season. Lucky us that the opponent had a depleted line up, but well, so do we.

All lines were clicking, defence looked way better than in prior games.
Loved Luongo's performance. Except for this one awkward save early in the game he looked incredibly calm and composed.

And how can you not have a hockey crush on Kassian? The kid is just awesome on both ends of the rink.

I said before this game that the Canucks don't look like they're feeling good about themselves. They sure looked confident on a whole new level in this one. Great to see. Big relieve.

If they can keep up this mindset and compete level, we might see them go on tear. Against stronger opposition (like the Hawks on Friday) it may not always show in the win column, but it should more often than not.

Really, really happy with this game. :)

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
Beating this version of the Avs is like drowning a bag of kittens. Sure you win, but it doesn't feel great.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad