Value of: Necas

Unsustainable

Seth Jarvis is Elite
Apr 14, 2012
North Carolina
Well their Defense is quite a bit overloaded at this point so it was due for some sort of downgrade.

I think, unfortunately, Skjei has priced him out of Carolina. He's absolutely excellent but we have Slavin and Orlov at LD next year so resigning him would be a luxury. Are Slavin and Orlov UFA the following year (along with Burns)... sure... but we'll cross that bridge when we get to it. Orlov will likely move on and Slavin will be re-signed and likely become our Captain after Staal retires.

Pesce could be back and I don't think he would cost too much more than the $4m he's already making. He is starting to show his age and mileage so if he wants the mega contract then he'll get it elsewhere. Chatfield will get a small raise but ideally he stays on the 3rd pair.

Really we need to bridge the gap to Morrow and Nikishin. Orlov is part of that, but we will still need a bit more. If he isn't too pricey I'd like to see the Canes look into Matt Roy in the offseason.

TLDR; Yes - Canes will have to downgrade at D in the next year or two but that's the way it goes when you have lots of good players. Something's gotta give and you can't sign all of them.

Luckily we have Nikishin and Morrow coming up for ELC contracts with high upside, so if we have a down year next season, it wont be for long.

Another idea is to move Necas in a move for like Jokiharju, or Chychryn + type deal.

I still think keeping Guentzel and Jarvis is priority, moving out KK

GAJ
SK( maybe FUS)

for the top 6,

slavin - burns
skjei - jokiharju
orlov - chatfield
morrow

Chan790

Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Bingy town, NY
Luckily we have Nikishin and Morrow coming up for ELC contracts with high upside, so if we have a down year next season, it wont be for long.

Another idea is to move Necas in a move for like Jokiharju, or Chychryn + type deal.

GAJ
SK( maybe FUS)

for the top 6,

slavin - burns
skjei - jokiharju
orlov - chatfield
morrow
What else are we getting with Jokiharju for Necas? Because...that seems like a terrible trade for us.

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
Not so much him, but just as an idea for a type of move
I think what the Canes, and many of their fans want to do is find another Brady Skjei situation. It was a bit of a unicorn in getting a young player who had cost certainty and term at a price the Canes were good with but the other team wanted to move off of and because of that we didn't have to give up a ton.

There's not a lot of situations like that out there. The guy I want is Artem Zub. I don't know how possible that is but he's good, not expensive, has 3 years on his deal, and is under 30.

I think the team is either going to have to look at internal replacements/cheaper free agent options for the next little bit. It may require a bit of a change in roster make-up/team play philosophy but I'm sure the Canes org will look at where they can find inefficiencies in the marketplace and go in that direction. Hopefully it will work. The good news is that a lot of our forwards are blossoming so maybe we don't need to be so defense dependant moving forward.

Reactions: Unsustainable

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Ya that's f***ing awful. And Buffalo shouldn't be in the adding forwards business.

Agreed that it's not enough for Necas but in terms of adding forwards, I wouldn't be surprised if they try to add one top 9, preferably top 6 before next season. They were interested in Necas once upon a time - seemed like there was some chatter about him and Mittelstadt as principles in a deal prior to 2022-23, but then both went and were better (in Necas' case, a lot better) than they had been prior.

I wouldn't be surprised if Buffalo was still at least modestly interested still. Not what I think they should do, but I could see them exploring it.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
EF mentioned Necas on 32T yesterday. EF mentioned the situation with Necas will come to a conclusion this summer. Marek should have asked what does that mean. Sign or trade?

EF mentioned the other free agents on Carolina. They offered Pesce five times five. Pesce said no. Carolina has offered a contract extension to Skjei with different structures. Skjei said no. EF thought Carolina was closing to getting a new contract done with Chatfield. Then it didn't happen. He brought up Burns for a new deal next summer. Burns will be 40. He can still play but what type of contract does Carolina offer Burns. Slavin will be a free agent next summer.

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
Necas is a winger. Anyone stating he is a C or is capable of playing C at the NHL level is lying to you or doesn’t have a clue about Necas. He hasn’t done it and likely isn’t going to do it. People need to stop making Necas as a C a thing, it’s not going to happen. He is a big beautiful winger and we need to accept him for who he is.
Tbh I'm hoping the Canes and necas disagree here

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
EF mentioned Necas on 32T yesterday. EF mentioned the situation with Necas will come to a conclusion this summer. Marek should have asked what does that mean. Sign or trade?

EF mentioned the other free agents on Carolina. They offered Pesce five times five. Pesce said no. Carolina has offered a contract extension to Skjei with different structures. Skjei said no. EF thought Carolina was closing to getting a new contract done with Chatfield. Then it didn't happen. He brought up Burns for a new deal next summer. Burns will be 40. He can still play but what type of contract does Carolina offer Burns. Slavin will be a free agent next summer.
Pesce should accept nothing less than the Damon Severson contract

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON

Disagree on what exactly? Him being a C instead of a W? Good luck with that.

Pesce should accept nothing less than the Damon Severson contract

That could be the biggest oof of the offseason if it happened. Pesce's a great player but his game is not aging well. However, I could still see it happening.

If Canes offered 5x5 and Pesce turned it down then I wish him the best of luck with his new team. He's still a capable top 4 d-man right now but this year you can see the wear and what's coming around the bend for him. His style of play is not going to age well as a top 4 option. In a couple of years he will likely be fine on the 3rd pair as the 'gritty defense first guy and veteran mentor' but fast skating/high skilled forwards are gonna burn him. If someone gives him the Severson deal they are gonna regret it by year 2.

BHawk21

Mar 21, 2022

Just listened to this wondering what that meant. It was so casual I just assume it meant they are going to get him signed.

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
Disagree on what exactly? Him being a C instead of a W? Good luck with
Yes it's happened before where a player has left because they thought they weren't being played right or given a fair shake . Whether it true or not it normally causes friction between a team and a player so yes I hope he thinks he is a center because I wouldn't mind having a chance at him.

Chan790

Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Bingy town, NY
Yes it's happened before where a player has left because they thought they weren't being played right or given a fair shake . Whether it true or not it normally causes friction between a team and a player so yes I hope he thinks he is a center because I wouldn't mind having a chance at him.

I expect they do. Necas has been repeatedly vocal that he views himself as a C and wants to be in the middle. One of my concerns about bridging him has been that he'll jump ship as soon as he hits UFA for a team that will slot him as a C. So...I don't think we bridge him and let him walk to UFA at the end of the bridge.

That said, I expect we're getting resolution on Necas this offseason, either locking him up long-term or trading him to a team that presumably locks him up long-term, so...trading for him now is probably your best or only shot.

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
I mean, maybe that will be a sticking point for him. We'll see. He hasn't shown any ability or skillset to be a C at the NHL level. It seems very weird that he would want to take on that extra role and responsibility based on the way he plays. Being a winger allows him to take the puck and rush and do whatever he wants while others are keeping an eye on other things. Necas would have to drastically change his on ice tendencies and overall awareness to be an effective C. He's also shown to be quite below average at faceoffs and I wouldn't say he is awful defensively but it's certainly not something that you find as a strength overall in his game... so it's great he wants to be a C. We would love for him to be a good C. He hasn't shown the ability or willingness to do any of the things needed to be given that opportunity.

Stickpucker

Playmaka
Jan 18, 2014
Agreed that it's not enough for Necas but in terms of adding forwards, I wouldn't be surprised if they try to add one top 9, preferably top 6 before next season. They were interested in Necas once upon a time - seemed like there was some chatter about him and Mittelstadt as principles in a deal prior to 2022-23, but then both went and were better (in Necas' case, a lot better) than they had been prior.

I wouldn't be surprised if Buffalo was still at least modestly interested still. Not what I think they should do, but I could see them exploring it.
Necas and rights to Pesce for JJ Peterka as a base?

I don't really know what Peterkas value is right now.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Necas and rights to Pesce for JJ Peterka as a base?

I don't really know what Peterkas value is right now.

Dealing JJ just shuffles one top six forward out for another so they would probably try other means via non-roster assets (ie. picks or prospects).

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia

I hope we don't trade for Necas , explode UFA market instead. Keep our first pick that way

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia

GAJ
SK( maybe FUS)

for the top 6,

slavin - burns
skjei - jokiharju
orlov - chatfield
morrow
Would you trade Svechnikov for Guhle?

• Haha
Reactions: WreckingCrew

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Disagree on what exactly? Him being a C instead of a W? Good luck with that.

If Canes offered 5x5 and Pesce turned it down then I wish him the best of luck with his new team. He's still a capable top 4 d-man right now but this year you can see the wear and what's coming around the bend for him. His style of play is not going to age well as a top 4 option. In a couple of years he will likely be fine on the 3rd pair as the 'gritty defense first guy and veteran mentor' but fast skating/high skilled forwards are gonna burn him. If someone gives him the Severson deal they are gonna regret it by year 2.

I think Pesce will age just fine… but perhaps not in Carolina’s hyper aggressive man on man system.

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
I think Pesce will age just fine… but perhaps not in Carolina’s hyper aggressive man on man system.
Well I guess we'll see... but there are some warning signs popping up. He's been the Canes 6th best D-man this year and it's probably not much of a debate on that. Again... it's a stacked D-core but he's the one player where you are seeing regression more than progression at this time.

Would you trade Svechnikov for Guhle?

There is no reality where Necas nets a top 5 pick anyway

They probably wouldn’t but there is no way Montreal does that either. They can’t trade their first pairing D for a winger.

Barf. Not for all of the cheese curds and maple syrup in QC is that deal happening.

Reactions: EquivalentStay

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad