Confirmed with Link: Necas re-signed $3M x 2

Highest Boss

Jan 15, 2014
Illinois
I still think they bring Gards to camp to see what he has. But also it's hard to believe that Twitter person is wrong.

When Has That Ever Happened Except For That One Time GIF - When Has That Ever  Happened Except For That One Time Stan Marsh - Discover & Share GIFs

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
I wouldn't be surprised with a Gardiner buyout announced at the last possible instant. I could see the Borg using as much time as possible to continue to work on other possible options, even if they seem unlikely at this point.
You read my mind. When this stuff happens, it's often at the last possible moment in case some nut job decides to take on your problem for James Reimer. Given some of the stuff that account has been in on before anyone else, I doubt they're completely full of it either. That doesn't mean they wouldn't ever be wrong, but the timing doesn't worry me until it's just no longer possible. Granted, the Gardiner thing would have to be correct in this instance as everyone has been projecting this contract for Necas recently, and some people even for a while now.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
Yeah but aren't we in the time period where we are allowed to go over the cap? So why wait?

Unless you are saying we're intentionally not announcing Necas right now during a time when he could conceivably sign an offer sheet for a higher dollar value (seriously, 2 years at $3m aav is a very reasonable bridge if true) so that we just wait out a team desperate enough to take Gardiner and that contract off our hands in lieu of buying him out.

LakeLivin

Armchair Quarterback
Mar 11, 2016
North Carolina
Yeah but aren't we in the time period where we are allowed to go over the cap? So why wait?

Unless you are saying we're intentionally not announcing Necas right now during a time when he could conceivably sign an offer sheet for a higher dollar value (seriously, 2 years at $3m aav is a very reasonable bridge if true) so that we just wait out a team desperate enough to take Gardiner and that contract off our hands in lieu of buying him out.

Not sure if you're replying to my post or Azor's. If mine, I wasn't referencing Necas at all, only talking about the possibility of using all the time available to still con (er, negotiate) some other team into a Gardiner trade.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC

Or playing a game of chicken where some other team kinda sorta wants to give Bear or Gards a chance and doesn't care which. And we just want them to give us a conditional 9th (the condition being that the league randomly decides to re-add a 9th round) to take Bear off our hands so that we don't have to have the dead cap space or whatever.

Discipline Daddy

Brentcent Van Burns
Nov 27, 2009
Raleigh, NC
I'd rather play cap gymnastics for a year then be saddled with Gardiner's $1.483M cap hit next year. I just think that dealing with his hit for one year now is more pleasant than dealing with his sizable cap hit next year, which essentially covers two league min roster players. Next year we gain some cap space from Jordan Staal getting less money (or retiring), but also have to bookmark $$ for a starter (assuming Kooch is backup) and we'll have at least 4 forwards (Pacioretty, Staal, Fast, Kase) and 1-2 D to sign (probably one if Morrison plays next year).

Again, we'll have the space, but that little $1.5M makes a difference, particularly if we go big game hunting and add a sizable piece at forward, like we'll probably do again via trade like we did this year to get Maxpac.

In a nutshell, we have a pretty complete roster this year we can roll with, and it's POSSIBLE Gardiner is a good 3rd pair offensive guy. The more space we have next year, the more options we can do. You also could easily net a 1st by taking on an onerous contract. Like it's possible we get a nice piece by taking on the last year of Jakub Voracek's deal, for example, if Columbus finds themselves in a bind. Probably we'd be looking at a playoff team, but I just wanted to find an example. I think in particular a team with space this late in the game in the summer can extract more assets just by virtue of there being few teams with space.

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011

I mean, for me, I referenced moving Darling for Reimer as a parallel to the Gardiner situation. The point being they could wait until the last possible moment for the Gardiner buyout in case someone decides to help us out in some moronic way.

Necas, they were probably just crossing t's and dotting i's. I don't think that part mattered at all, and he's signed now. I was just saying, this account getting the 2x$3 would be nice, but I'd need to see them get the Gardiner part correct to add this to the pile of things they got correct.

Discipline Daddy

Brentcent Van Burns
Nov 27, 2009
Raleigh, NC

Year 1: $2.5M
Year 2: $3.5M

Finally. Nice! This is reasonable for all parties. Not a total steal right now, but it's good value. I could definitely see us trading Necas next offseason if he rebounds in value, not because he ain't worth it, but he could be seen as a less core piece and we decide to allocate our money to Slavin+Aho+Teuvo+Pesce+Jarvis.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
I'd rather play cap gymnastics for a year then be saddled with Gardiner's $1.483M cap hit next year. I just think that dealing with his hit for one year now is more pleasant than dealing with his sizable cap hit next year, which essentially covers two league min roster players. Next year we gain some cap space from Jordan Staal getting less money (or retiring), but also have to bookmark $$ for a starter (assuming Kooch is backup) and we'll have at least 4 forwards (Pacioretty, Staal, Fast, Kase) and 1-2 D to sign (probably one if Morrison plays next year).

I'm in the other camp.

I said in an earlier thread that a 20 man roster wasn't that big of a deal, but thinking about it some more, cap gymnastics for this year likely won't allow for any real chance at banking cap space for the deadline (or at least not much). If we have a hole to fill, we may be screwed, or may have to overpay to move someone so we can add someone else. I'd rather have that flexibility now, and the ability for plan ahead for next year.

I can see Jordan possibly doing like Bergeron and signing a team friendly deal. We'll also have a full year to get a feel for what we have with Morrow, Seeley, a couple of the forwards in the AHL, Kooch and even Drury and Jarvis to see where we need to make other adds to replace Paciorretty, Fast, Kase)

The team has shown they can find a way with planning far enough ahead and I think the $1.483M cap hit next year won't be a huge hindrance.

If we can get rid of his contract this year without paying a fortune to do it, then that would be my first choice, but

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
I mean, for me, I referenced moving Darling for Reimer as a parallel to the Gardiner situation. The point being they could wait until the last possible moment for the Gardiner buyout in case someone decides to help us out in some moronic way.

Necas, they were probably just crossing t's and dotting i's. I don't think that part mattered at all, and he's signed now. I was just saying, this account getting the 2x$3 would be nice, but I'd need to see them get the Gardiner part correct to add this to the pile of things they got correct.
I don't see anyone helping them out at this point.

The idea made more sense at the start of the off-season when Carolina had space and could leverage that to trade Gardiner for someone who might be bought out elsewhere (Hornqvist was my theory) and play him for a year instead.

Now? There's no one Carolina is going to bring in and save much for this year on the cap, and the team trading for Gardiner can't buy him out.

There's no trade left here. I think it's getting the doctors to sign off that he's healthy and dealing with the formalities of the buyout.

Reactions: DaveG and cptjeff

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
CapFriendly now lists Carolina as $1.116M over the cap, with Pederson, Coghlan, and Chatfield (no Drury).

Burying Gardiner would save $1.125M. So Carolina could just barely do this by burying Gardiner, keeping 12/8, and not calling up Drury. They do not have space to call up Drury and send down only one of those 3, though.

Looking at that, I lean toward buyout.

Reactions: DaveG

Finnish Jerk Train

lol stupid mickey mouse organization
Apr 7, 2008
Raleigh
I'm good with it. I've been saying all along we can't cut bait on him yet and that we need to bridge him before we make a final decision on him. Now that we did, here's hoping he doesn't make an idiot out of me (or maybe I should say an even bigger idiot).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad