Prospect Info: Necas: Keep him or Send him down

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
Do you keep him in Carolina or send him to Charlotte/Czech league?

Notes:
He does have 4 more games before we start his contract time.
His contract will slide even if he is in the AHL, much like Kuokkanen last season.

I send him down to Charlotte for a couple of his reasons:
He is playing 4th line minutes. He started at 11:30 TOI against NYI and trended downward to 8 minutes against Vancouver.
He is playing with 4th line mates too who aren’t a match for his playing style or skill level
He is struggling with defense early (expected)

Why burn a contract year with the speedster with 4th line time and 4th line mates? Send him down to Charlotte to play 15 minutes a game with Saarela and Geekie. Charlotte would be better than the Czech league because he should get some NA ice seasoning as a center.

What ya think?

(New to posting in this forum. I spend my time going through the absolutely laughable trade proposals though. Its a good laugh.)

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
For me, it's not a panic move to send him down as sheriff bart describes. At the end of August, I might've guessed sending him down 8 games in would be.

But this is a deep group. There's no point in building the depth we have if we're still going to play guys based on name brand. Nic Roy just won player of the week in the AHL, and isn't so far from the NHL himself if his late season call-up is any indication. Kuokkanen may be in the same boat. Etc.

Sending him down wouldn't really be a "punishment", and it wouldn't necessarily even be a "you're not ready for the NHL". It'd be a "we may have guys that are more ready than you."

I think he has two thresholds this season at which he needs to "prove" he's an NHL player:

1) At 8 games, he needs to show enough for the front office to be willing to burn a year of his ELC (assuming OP is correct in that regard, I haven't bothered to double check).

2) When Rask comes back, he needs to prove he's worth keeping in the lineup over someone else (Wallmark or Zykov right now, by then with injuries who knows). I don't count PDG; Necas is not competing to be better than our 13th guy he's competing for a spot in the lineup. If he's only good enough to be the 13th forward he will be sent down.

Finlandia WOAT

js7.4x8fnmcf5070124
May 23, 2010
He hasn't adjusted to nhl speed, but his line is also a mishmash of styles and they're proving difficult to read one another.

Recall roy and goat and play them on the 4th line. Send down necas. When darling gets back and if the french connection is playing well, waive pdg or a goalie. Wait till rask gets back.

Rather they save a year now and see if the goat king can shake it in the nhl vs 4th line comp while saving an elc year on necas than burn it and try it later.

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
I think they'll keep him up and try to let him improve in the NHL if at all possible. Either way is fine with me, but I'm not super worried about him after 4 games, nor am I itching to call up Roy after 2 good games. I would like to see him with some different line mates. I get not wanting to mess with lines that are doing well, but I don't think the lines as constructed are the only possible combos that can work well together.

Nikishin Go Boom

Jul 31, 2017
If he's sent to the ahl before hitting 9 games, then recalled for the playoffs, does that burn a year?
Yes anything over 9 games played. If all 10 were in the playoffs, you burn a year.

If we send him down, he stays down (unless he is has outclassed the entire league).

I don’t think this a panic move. It’s just about his current play and the business side of it. If he looks iffy then send him down, it makes business sense to send him down and helps the player develop.

We have 3 scoring lines, so we’ll be okay if Necas goes down. This isn’t like Lindholm or Hanifin where we are going to have a hard time putting talent on the ice if he doesn’t stay. Wallmark has done very well so far. We can survive with McKegg or Roy until Rask is ready again.

Guys like Roy and Mckegg are bigger guys that wont get pushed around. Also their service clocks are already running. In Roy’s case, if he has the same struggles as Necas, it is okay. The only thing we burn is Roy’s eligibility for Rookie of the year.

Last edited:

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
I think we send him down if he doesn't improve in the next 4... but we always have the option to bring him back up, it just means we burn a year. That's fine.

Do whatever it takes for him to build confidence, basically. If you can save a year of ELC, that's bonus, but not really the point. If he can produce now, we absolutely want him doing that.

Unsustainable

Seth Jarvis is Elite
Apr 14, 2012
North Carolina
I think we send him down if he doesn't improve in the next 4... but we always have the option to bring him back up, it just means we burn a year. That's fine.

Do whatever it takes for him to build confidence, basically. If you can save a year of ELC, that's bonus, but not really the point. If he can produce now, we absolutely want him doing that.

I almost think sending him to Charlotte for the rest of the year would be best though. Center is a problem for us right now with Rask out, but we should look at the long term success of Necas.

SaskCanesFan

Feb 27, 2015
I understand not wanting to mess with the lines when things are clicking, but if he's gonna spend the next couple months with McGinn/PDG/Zykov, I'd rather send him down and let him play big offensive minutes. He's got some adjusting to do anyways to a hard position, but he doesn't have much chance of creating offense and building confidence with those wingers.

Having said that, it's only been 4 games, so there's time to see. After a few day break, he could come in next week and light it up, in which case he stays. I think if he's still struggling and getting under 10 minutes by game number nine, then you send him down. If he lights up the AHL, you can always bring him back up like Hank said. His development is more important than the year slide.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
Playing in the AHL doesn’t burn a year? If not, what contract are guys like Roy playing on?
It doesn’t burn a year if you aren’t 20 years old. So Janne and Martin would slide. But guys who finished Juniors are twenty and their contracts don’t slide. It’s really more complicated than that, but it’s a good approximation.

Nikishin Go Boom

Jul 31, 2017
D
Playing in the AHL doesn’t burn a year? If not, what contract are guys like Roy playing on?
It doesn’t burn a year if you aren’t 20 years old. So Janne and Martin would slide. But guys who finished Juniors are twenty and their contracts don’t slide. It’s really more complicated than that, but it’s a good approximation.

MinJaBen nailed it. His conjecture is spot on.

Your service time starts when you play 10 NHL game or when you play 10 professional games (AHL included) the season that starts when you are 20. The exception is if you turn 20 between September-December it starts then. Necas turns 20 in January so his service time in the AHL doesn’t start until next season.

For simplification unless its a player that was drafted from a European league, service time starts when they start playing in the AHL. European players aren’t tied down by the semi-ridiculous junior league rules and can play in the AHL right after being drafted if the team wants.

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
D

MinJaBen nailed it. His conjecture is spot on.

Your service time starts when you play 10 NHL game or when you play 10 professional games (AHL included) the season that starts when you are 20. The exception is if you turn 20 between September-December it starts then. Necas turns 20 in January so his service time in the AHL doesn’t start until next season.

For simplification unless its a player that was drafted from a European league, service time starts when they start playing in the AHL. European players aren’t tied down by the semi-ridiculous junior league rules and can play in the AHL right after being drafted if the team wants.

"Service time" isn't terminology used in CBA 11.19 for the Entry-Level Slide; eligibility for Slide depends solely on the ELC signing age and NHL Games (not) played. Whether the player is in Junior league or not doesn't affect it.

Sign ELC at 18 or 19 (age at Sept 15th that year; 19 y.o. late birthday guys are an exception and not eligible), you will slide the first season under that ELC unless you play 10+ games in NHL. Sign ELC at 18 and Slide your first season, you're eligible for another Slide if you still won't play 10+ games in NHL. Playing in AHL doesn't burn any young player's ELC.

Europe guys are just as eligible for Entry-Level Slide as anyone, but the European-drafted guys have their own quirk from the NHL/IIHF transfer agreement, by which guys under 20 if they are under a contract to an IIHF-associated league and if they don't make it to the NHL roster and would be sent down to AHL, the European team has the first dips to demand the young player being sent back to service his contract there. Quite often the Euro teams seem to sign promising youngsters at 17 for multi-year contracts to get their hand on the sweet transfer agreement moolah in the likely case he gets drafted and signed.

Case in point: Kuokkanen slided his first in 2017-18. Having signed at 19, he's not eligible for another slide. As we remember Sebastian Aho's dad threatened that a year in AHL wasn't an option and that they would call him back to Kärpät. But they didn't in the end.

Janne Kuokkanen - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

Case 2: Gauthier and Entry-lever Slide re CHL -> AHL:

He slided 2016-17 playing in CHL and slided again 2017-18 playing in AHL. BUT, despite this the AHL year nevertheless counts as a professional season for the Expansion Draft purposes due to the underager CHL/AHL transfer rules.

Julien Gauthier - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

Case 3: Necas. Signed at 18, slided 2017-18 playing in Europe, is still eligible for another slide.

Martin Necas - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad