Player Discussion: Neal Pionk Part 2

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
I also think the Jets will quickly become a feeder system to bigger market (or more desirable) teams, if they don't handle pretty much everything in a "classy" way. Like I would have told Trouba to eff off if he doesn't want to build something here, but they handled his situation correctly. And honoring pretty much all of the ex-players the right way, goes a long way too.
the Jets and probably most (if not all) NHL teams would have handled trouba and his wife's situation cordially compared to how you just described it.

Dale53130

Nov 10, 2019
the Jets and probably most (if not all) NHL teams would have handled trouba and his wife's situation cordially compared to how you just described it.
Yes.

Of course, no other team is telling him to eff off. No kidding...

I doubt that every other team is going to acquiesce to his situation (or demands) though.

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
Lots of interesting discussion here.

I do think there's a decent delta between "Throw Pionk out on his arse and the team can suck it -- and that goes for you too, future incoming talen!" and "Pionk is no longer an effective NHL top 4 D, and should have his position and minutes managed in order to optimize what he brings to the team, with the clear goal of optimizing deployment and everything else to enjoy a deeper playoff run in 2025."

If Dillon can be signed to a reasonable extension, great. DD adds significant stability (when not welcoming a newborn) to the back end, and is also a versatile RHD whose game doesn't depend on physical dominance.

If Dillon is signed, a Schmidt buyout might follow, though he is likely still more effective as a 6/7 than Stanley. Then major turnover follows in 2025, with both Schmidt and Pionk gone, and either or both of Heinola and Salmo playing. Having a guy like Dillon around to mentor and move up and down might be very useful as new talent is integrated.

And if they move Ehlers f/ Ehlers + or a top 4 RHD, then there's some additional shuffling to do.

Either way, less Pionk = better Jets, probably.

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
Lots of interesting discussion here.

I do think there's a decent delta between "Throw Pionk out on his arse and the team can suck it -- and that goes for you too, future incoming talen!" and "Pionk is no longer an effective NHL top 4 D, and should have his position and minutes managed in order to optimize what he brings to the team, with the clear goal of optimizing deployment and everything else to enjoy a deeper playoff run in 2025."

If Dillon can be signed to a reasonable extension, great. DD adds significant stability (when not welcoming a newborn) to the back end, and is also a versatile RHD whose game doesn't depend on physical dominance.

If Dillon is signed, a Schmidt buyout might follow, though he is likely still more effective as a 6/7 than Stanley. Then major turnover follows in 2025, with both Schmidt and Pionk gone, and either or both of Heinola and Salmo playing. Having a guy like Dillon around to mentor and move up and down might be very useful as new talent is integrated.

And if they move Ehlers f/ Ehlers + or a top 4 RHD, then there's some additional shuffling to do.

Either way, less Pionk = better Jets, probably.
How do you seriously engage in negotiations with demelo or Dillons agent and not start at 6 million a year... kind of an insult to offer less no?

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Any sane person wouldn't pay Schmidt and Pionk more than DeMelo or Dillon. GM has to get out of those contracts.
You have to balance that against buyout cap hit costs or the cost of picks/prospects to get someone to take on the contract. I think they may be more open to buying out Schmidt. I don’t think Chevy will pay teams to take on a bad contract but who knows.

kanadalainen

A pint of dark matter, please.
Jan 7, 2017
The 100th Meridian
Can you even mitigate bullocks? How does one go about that?

Best I can do...

herding-the-cowboy-way.gif

Board Bard

Dane-O-Mite
Jun 7, 2014
Can you even mitigate bollocks? How does one go about that?

bollocks: noun
nonsense; senseless talk.

unmitigated: adjective
Not diminished or moderated in intensity or severity.

dictionary: noun
A reference work containing a list of words in alphabetical order, giving their meaning, translation and/or other information.

It would be super easy for the OP to mitigate bollocks: stop posting.

Last edited:

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019

A reference work containing a list of words in alphabetical order, giving their meaning, translation and/or other information.

Since I'm the OP in question, you have no idea how much I'm mitigating right now

And to think that I've been accused of coming across as "condescending".

Nice copy and paste job, tho

Reactions: Jetfaninflorida

Jetfaninflorida

Southernmost Jet Fan
Dec 13, 2013
Florida

the testicles

complete, total

mitigate: adjective
to lessen in force or intensity

So I ask again:

How do you mitigate bollocks? How would the OP go about taking his complete and total testicles and lessening their force or intensity? Cut them off? That's a big ask, brother.

Reactions: wraithsonwings

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad