NCAA to allow CHL players to play hockey?

Ernie

Aug 3, 2004
So I don't get it - he says NCAA hockey is better than CHL hockey. But then what's the problem with letting CHL players into NCAA if it's so much better?

It sounds like, instead, he knows NCAA is NOT better, but he wants to keep NCAA players in NCAA, and would actually be worried about them defecting to CHL instead.

Yeah, that interview is quite confusing, but the NCAA is unquestionably a higher level league, for the reasons he states.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Sounds like this is back on the table according to Friedman.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Every time I see the name "Shane Malloy" that takes me back a good 20 years
There’s multiple generations of posters who came here after us who don’t know this and I’m not terribly sure I do either

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City

Sounds like it'll be decided by lawyers, not conferences nor coaches. NHL wants a seat at the table to ensure things work well.

It may be that the USHL merges with CHL.

Maybe they'll also include agreement for 1st rounders to play in AHL.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002

Sounds like it'll be decided by lawyers, not conferences nor coaches. NHL wants a seat at the table to ensure things work well.

It may be that the USHL merges with CHL.

Maybe they'll also include agreement for 1st rounders to play in AHL.

A great point was made about the coaches. I think on here we felt they carried a lot of weight but the reality is they don’t. If guys like Nick Saban and Jay Wright had enough of the changing landscape (which is to say they were losing control of their programs), whichever coaches against this, their opinions quite honestly aren’t worth jack shit, and they can retire or go coach pro if they want.

Corso

Aug 13, 2018
A great point was made about the coaches. I think on here we felt they carried a lot of weight but the reality is they don’t. If guys like Nick Saban and Jay Wright had enough of the changing landscape (which is to say they were losing control of their programs), whichever coaches against this, their opinions quite honestly aren’t worth jack shit, and they can retire or go coach pro if they want.

Not sure who really thought they carried much weight, most of us here have maintained that this is going to happen because the NCAA does not nor will not defend the rules excluding CHL players in court.

As an aside, I know some media heads proclaimed that this is very unpopular with the vast majority of college coaches but that isn't true at all. It has support from most of the smaller schools and conferences. The Big 10 and the other blueblood hockey powers are opposed to it. Not that it matters much anyway.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Not sure who really thought they carried much weight, most of us here have maintained that this is going to happen because the NCAA does not nor will not defend the rules excluding CHL players in court.

As an aside, I know some media heads proclaimed that this is very unpopular with the vast majority of college coaches but that isn't true at all. It has support from most of the smaller schools and conferences. The Big 10 and the other blueblood hockey powers are opposed to it. Not that it matters much anyway.
Well I guess they are the most opposed to it so it was easier for them to make it known, especially since no one knows how exactly this will work

sigx15

Jan 31, 2010
Will be interesting to see how this all shakes out. Marek’s report sounds like this is coming from NHL sources who want it to happen. I still haven’t seen any of these NHL reporters address the crux of the NCAA’s rationale for not allowing CHL players in college hockey. It’s not the stipend players receive in the CHL, it’s the fact there are CHL players under NHL contracts so the NCAA views them as playing against professionals. That could open another Pandora’s box in other sports like basketball and the G League and Euro leagues

I do agree that this probably won’t be decided by coaches rather by lawyers. I do have a hard time with the report of them saying only 14 coaches in NCAA hockey don’t want this to happen. We’ll find out in May at the NCAA coaches meeting what that number actually is but I highly doubt it’s that low

cg98

Oct 10, 2017
Why would USA hockey hand over the only Tier I junior league in their jurisdiction to Hockey Canada?
They wont, theyll probably just make an agreement to start featuring the USHL champion at the Memorial Cup and make some sort of CHL-USA Hockey All Star game or series.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Will be interesting to see how this all shakes out. Marek’s report sounds like this is coming from NHL sources who want it to happen. I still haven’t seen any of these NHL reporters address the crux of the NCAA’s rationale for not allowing CHL players in college hockey. It’s not the stipend players receive in the CHL, it’s the fact there are CHL players under NHL contracts so the NCAA views them as playing against professionals. That could open another Pandora’s box in other sports like basketball and the G League and Euro leagues

I do agree that this probably won’t be decided by coaches rather by lawyers. I do have a hard time with the report of them saying only 14 coaches in NCAA hockey don’t want this to happen. We’ll find out in May at the NCAA coaches meeting what that number actually is but I highly doubt it’s that low
NHL has to figure out how it affects the draft because they have two different rules depending on which league players are in.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad