NCAA on TSN2

RED ARMY EAST

Feb 14, 2010
Freddy Beach,N.B.Canada
Tsn

Tried to watch Monday, but there was a football documentary showing, but the guide said college hockey?

Why can" t TSN show the odd CIS games?
Like UNB vs Acadia, SMU or Alberta vs Calgary or UQTR vs McGill?.

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
Tried to watch Monday, but there was a football documentary showing, but the guide said college hockey?

Why can" t TSN show the odd CIS games?
Like UNB vs Acadia, SMU or Alberta vs Calgary or UQTR vs McGill?.

I believe it is because Sportsnet has the rights.
Not sure for how much longer though.

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
Cost versus reward just isn't there.

Exactly.

TSN isn't producing the NCAA hockey games. They are just picking up the feed from the US networks. They would have to produce the games here and they have probably decided that the cost isn't worth it. Maybe there is a regional solution? I don't know.

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
It's too bad Sportnsnet couldn't tie their CHL coverage into some CIS games as a way to cut down on costs. For example, try and set it up the schedule so that they do a CHL game one night in Edmonton/Calgary/Halifax/Saint John/whatever OHL city and then do a CIS game in, or close to, those cities the next day. You could do a SeaDogs game one night and then a UNB game the next night or the Mooseheads and Acadia, etc.

Of course Rogers having the NHL rights now kinda wipes out all of Saturday as a possible day which is when a lot of CHL/CIS games take place, and I am sure in cities that have both CHL/CIS teams they try to have one team at home and the other on the road as much as possible to avoid conflict so it might be a little difficult to find instances where both local teams are playing at home around the same time...but I think it could work.

Shootmaster_44

Sep 10, 2005
Saskatoon
I believe it is because Sportsnet has the rights.
Not sure for how much longer though.

It runs through the 2018-19 academic year.

http://english.cis-sic.ca/sports/cis_news/2013-14/releases/20130508-sportsnet

It would be nice if they were to farm some of the regular season out to Sportsnet 360. However, outside of the AUS, Lakehead and Alberta the games are not well attended for television. In fact, I am not sure how many rinks in Canada West are even useable for TV.

I know both Rutherford in Saskatoon and the Cooperators Centre in Regina are not made for TV. Mount Royal plays at something called the Flames Community Arena, which to mean doesn't sound promising for TV coverage. I suspect this is the same for the majority of CIS rinks.

The thing is outside of the above mentioned places, hockey is not the revenue sport at the majority institutions, football is. When football cannot get regular season games of the week on TV, you won't be able to find anything else either.

The best we could hope for is that each of the conferences negotiate local deals. Canada West and Shaw could partner, the OUA and Rogers and Eastlink and the AUS. I know Rogers and Shaw cover the OHL and WHL respectively, so that may impact their ability to also cover CIS hockey.

Plus, in Shaw's case, I wonder about their availability of production trucks. They would have to arrange the schedule with their WHL coverage. The problem is they like to have a great crowd, as evidenced by their football coverage. So an 85 year old rink in Saskatoon with 666 (seriously that seems to be capacity) people in the rickety rink would not appease Shaw. So unless a good amount of teams were to at least move temporarily into WHL rinks (which still would be a capacity issue in most cities), the optics for TV could be solved. However, 1,200 people in a 15,000 seat arena is the same as 3,000 people in a 30,000 seat football stadium. It is why there are lots of Shaw games from Saskatoon for football.

Dutch

May 17, 2006
Trois-Rivières
I think that when it comes to selling the game, internet is the way to go. I don't see any tv channel picking up hockey and the web is more and more of an everyday thing with the Chromecasts and Rokus of this world.

The CIS should create a channel where games would be broadcasted, making everything uniform and helping universities that don't have anything in place. I'm sure that 10 programs buying a broadcasting system will lower the cost.

Then, have the teams sell ads regionaly to fund the whole thing. Having a huge portal can only help the number of views. But that takes vision and a marketing sense, which are rarely seen in the canadian university sports business.

You could add some weekly shows recaping activities produced by the CIS, like the Krown Countdown in football, setting up a 24hr "network" where those shows would serve as a buffer between games. But that would mean working hand in hand, which always seems to be the first problem of anything trying to be done in the CIS.

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
I think that when it comes to selling the game, internet is the way to go. I don't see any tv channel picking up hockey and the web is more and more of an everyday thing with the Chromecasts and Rokus of this world.

The CIS should create a channel where games would be broadcasted, making everything uniform and helping universities that don't have anything in place. I'm sure that 10 programs buying a broadcasting system will lower the cost.

Then, have the teams sell ads regionaly to fund the whole thing. Having a huge portal can only help the number of views. But that takes vision and a marketing sense, which are rarely seen in the canadian university sports business.

You could add some weekly shows recaping activities produced by the CIS, like the Krown Countdown in football, setting up a 24hr "network" where those shows would serve as a buffer between games. But that would mean working hand in hand, which always seems to be the first problem of anything trying to be done in the CIS.

An internet "channel" is really interesting and I think you might be on to something with that....I think that might be the best bet moving forward, especially considering that it seem many people are moving away from the television to their computers for tv shows/movies/etc. Not to mention people are gravitating more and more towards 'on demand' services so they can watch what they want when they want. I think having a central "catch-all" CIS site for all conferences and all sports would be pretty appealing and would probably gain more traction and viewers than what we see now with AUStv/CanadaWestTV/SSN.

Of course, like you said, something of this magnitude would require vision, marketing, and a ton of work...which we don't see too often at the CIS level. I love the idea though.

Hollywood3

Bison/Jet/Moose Fan
May 12, 2007
The CIS has already made great strides. Each conference has an on-line channel. Some teams could do more for hockey, but all in good time.

No conference has the money to invest in anything major. However, they have done what they can with locally made content.

BTW, taped versions of the Man-Sask games are being shown ion Shaw Saturday at 5:00 (with rebroadcasts) and Sunday at 10:00 am (also with rebroadcasts). Maybe a sign of things to come.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad