NCAA Hockey Expansion Thread

JMCx4

Censorship is the Sincerest Form of Flattery
Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
... Columbia is a different story. They could probably practice at Chelsea Piers, but there's not really a good option for them when it comes to playing home games. Their club clowns play somewhere in New Jersey, and MSG is totally out of the question because of cost and availability. It's 40 minutes, minimum, to UBS Arena or anywhere that could realistically host home games for Columbia. Real estate is scarce in Manhattan, especially on the Upper West Side and in Manhattanville and West Harlem. Real estate acquisitional alone could probably add $25 million to the cost of building a suitable rink. As a graduate school alum of Columbia, I'd love to see them add hockey, but it isn't happening without a viable venue for home games.
As a successful and generous alum, why not seed a fundraiser with $25M for the perfect plot of land then encourage your fellow grads to pitch in the rest? :yashin:

CrazyEddie20

Hey RuZZia - Cut Your Losses and Go Home.
Jun 26, 2007
Back of a cop car
As a successful and generous alum, why not seed a fundraiser with $25M for the perfect plot of land then encourage your fellow grads to pitch in the rest? :yashin:

Not everyone who goes to graduate school at Columbia is rich. Some of us work for the public good, which is rewarding, but not always as remunerative as the things our classmates do.

Reactions: VaCaps Fan

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Regarding the Ivy League, Penn has an on-campus rink. It needs some work,
Isn't their rink from the 1920s or something? Does UPenn even care about sports more so than research endowment? My buddy's niece goes to UPenn and that school loves researching stuff, they think they are the best medical school in the United States even if others like Harvard, Duke, John Hopkins, and Northwestern have something to say about it.

CrazyEddie20

Jun 26, 2007
Back of a cop car
Isn't their rink from the 1920s or something? Does UPenn even care about sports more so than research endowment? My buddy's niece goes to UPenn and that school loves researching stuff, they think they are the best medical school in the United States even if others like Harvard, Duke, John Hopkins, and Northwestern have something to say about it.
A quick google search would tell you that the rink is named for the Class of 1923. It was built in 1970.

Academics and athletics are completely separate at American universities. Research and education are the goals of the university. Athletics build good public relations (most of the time) and drive affinity among alumni, parents, and townies toward the school.

Penn does have one of the best medical schools in the country, and one of the top research and teaching hospitals in the U.S.

JMCx4

Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
The simple words of Minot State's President Steven Shirley re. pursuing a DI hockey program should be tattooed backwards on the foreheads of posters in this thread who still don't get it ... "The reality of that dollars and cents wise is a massive one.”

CrazyEddie20

Jun 26, 2007
Back of a cop car
The simple words of Minot State's President Steven Shirley re. pursuing a DI hockey program should be tattooed backwards on the foreheads of posters in this thread who still don't get it ... "The reality of that dollars and cents wise is a massive one.”

Yup.

As I've been telling the fart sniffing pie-in-the-sky fanboi expansionists for years, playing Division I hockey is expensive.

Last edited:

CrazyEddie20

Jun 26, 2007
Back of a cop car
With Minot State getting set to play Denver and Colorado in exhibition games soon, here’s a preemptive article regarding their situation. Essentially don’t put MSU on your speculative shortlists for D1.

Colorado College 7, Minot State 1 in the latest club clown smackdown Friday night.

I doubt they'll do better against Denver tonight.

JMCx4

Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
Colorado College 7, Minot State 1 in the latest club clown smackdown Friday night.

On a positive note, MSU junior netminder Jake Anthony denied 31 of the Tigers' 38 SOGs in the exhibition. Something for the Beavers' fans to give a dam(n) about. :clap:🦫

CrazyEddie20

Jun 26, 2007
Back of a cop car

Congrats to Minot State on getting stomped 9-3 by Denver, playing against their third-string goalie.

Outscored 16-4 in two games. They wever competitive with CC or Denver.

But please, club clowns, tell me again how the top ACHA programs can compete with the top teams in real college hockey.

JMCx4

Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
I really thought quoting yourself for effect in a hockey forum was beneath you, Eddie. But Happy New Year all the same.

Nodak651

Oct 5, 2014
Congrats to Minot State on getting stomped 9-3 by Denver, playing against their third-string goalie.

Outscored 16-4 in two games. They wever competitive with CC or Denver.

But please, club clowns, tell me again how the top ACHA programs can compete with the top teams in real college hockey.
Have people actually said that?

JMCx4

Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
Have people actually said that?
Don't know that The Wish Kids have made claims of "the top ACHA programs can compete with the top teams in real college hockey." But there has been more that one poster in this forum over the last several years postulating that successful club teams could defeat middle-ish tier DI teams on any given gameday. It's the same I-know-what-I-know-and-I-know-it-all attitude that the current crowd of my-midget-team-can-outperform-the-PWHL posters lean in with on a regular basis (or on a slow chat day). It's what makes HFB such a satisfying gathering space for hockey fans worldwide.

Nodak651

Oct 5, 2014
Don't know that The Wish Kids have made claims of "the top ACHA programs can compete with the top teams in real college hockey." But there has been more that one poster in this forum over the last several years postulating that successful club teams could defeat middle-ish tier DI teams on any given gameday. It's the same I-know-what-I-know-and-I-know-it-all attitude that the current crowd of my-midget-team-can-outperform-the-PWHL posters lean in with on a regular basis (or on a slow chat day). It's what makes HFB such a satisfying gathering space for hockey fans worldwide.
So you made it up. Got it.

Nodak651

Oct 5, 2014
A White Caps player played on my beer league team a few summers ago. She was an above average skater but had an average impact on the game. She lead the White Caps in goals the following winter.

JMCx4

Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
A White Caps player played on my beer league team a few summers ago. She was an above average skater but had an average impact on the game. She lead the White Caps in goals the following winter.
One player's performance does not an argument make (if that's what you're seeking), any more than one claim of superiority for ACHA teams over DI teams would satisfy the debate.

Nodak651

Oct 5, 2014
One player's performance does not an argument make (if that's what you're seeking), any more than one claim of superiority for ACHA teams over DI teams would satisfy the debate.
Playing on the same team as a NWHL/PHF points leader was a good enough sample size for me, and I'm not someone who goes around bashing the quality of womens hockey, or the quality of any other league. But-you-know-what-you-know-and-you-know-it-all.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
To be fair, if Minot State or any other club team ever moved to D1, 95% of the current team at each university wouldn't be good enough to play against most D1 teams, especially against NCHC schools. I mean, there's a reason why those players are playing club hockey instead of scholarship hockey. Not sure what you were expecting?

As ASU got creamed for the first three to five seasons, I suspect Minot would've been the same as it transitioned to recruiting better players if they ever went D1.

E: I would say that I think Minot State would have a lot better luck against LIU or another Atlantic Hockey/ECAC school. There is a decent chance that Minot could've gone toe-to-toe with the likes of Army, Yale, or Robert Morris easily.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $5,720.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,447.00