NCAA Hockey Expansion Thread

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Not sure if the rules changed, but the NCAA labels CHL players as professional athletes due to getting paycheques. I think it's dumb, but how would the NCAA allow players not eligible for the NCAA due to playing in the CHL would then be eligible to play for Simon Fraser or SFU when the majority of Canadian hockey universities are made with ex-CHLers?

CrazyEddie20

Hey RuZZia - Cut Your Losses and Go Home.
Jun 26, 2007
Back of a cop car
Not sure if the rules changed, but the NCAA labels CHL players as professional athletes due to getting paycheques. I think it's dumb, but how would the NCAA allow players not eligible for the NCAA due to playing in the CHL would then be eligible to play for Simon Fraser or SFU when the majority of Canadian hockey universities are made with ex-CHLers?

Of course you're unsure if the rules have changed, because, as usual, you can't be bothered to do five seconds of research about college hockey and find out that they haven't.

If Simon Fraser did somehow end up playing NCAA hockey (spoiler alert: THEY WON'T) they'll have to follow the same eligibility rules as any other NCAA program - meaning players who played in the CHL would be ineligible.

Reactions: Captain Crash

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Of course you're unsure if the rules have changed, because, as usual, you can't be bothered to do five seconds of research about college hockey and find out that they haven't.

If Simon Fraser did somehow end up playing NCAA hockey (spoiler alert: THEY WON'T) they'll have to follow the same eligibility rules as any other NCAA program - meaning players who played in the CHL would be ineligible.
No, I wasn't sure because of all the NCAA laws that have been bypassed since COVID like player transfers. I always knew of the rule.

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
No, I wasn't sure because of all the NCAA laws that have been bypassed since COVID like player transfers. I always knew of the rule.
If SFU gets in (They Won't), they would like to draw their players from the BCHL and orher Canadian Junior A Leagues, so the CHL rule wouldn't be an issue.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
If SFU gets in (They Won't), they would like to draw their players from the BCHL and orher Canadian Junior A Leagues, so the CHL rule wouldn't be an issue.
I would think they would get a lot of Canadian players who predominately want to play next to their homes. I don't blame SFU for going hardcore by trying to join DI, they got one of top junior leagues in the world that is non-CHL and would have a ton of prospects to choose from...which means more money.

dm8895

V-Reds , McJesus Stan , Beer Leaguer
Apr 3, 2015
Freddy Beach
Do you think that Canadian NCAA players just spawn ? Obviously they’ve been playing hockey somewhere before …….. Jr.A , USHL , etc

Reactions: CrazyEddie20

dm8895

Apr 3, 2015
Freddy Beach
Like I said, you could have done five seconds of research, and you didn't.

How's that WHL scout gig treating you?
Wait is this the infamous WHL scout I’ve heard of? I’m pretty sure a WHL scout should know about NCAA eligibility consider you’d be scouting kids choosing between major junior and college

JMCx4

Censorship is the Sincerest Form of Flattery
Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
Wait is this the infamous WHL scout I’ve heard of? I’m pretty sure a WHL scout should know about NCAA eligibility consider you’d be scouting kids choosing between major junior and college
THOSE folks earn 100K per annum. And get a jacket.

Barclay Donaldson

Feb 4, 2018
Tatooine
THOSE folks earn 100K per annum. And get a jacket.

Oh @JMCx4, my friend, have you never seen him in his team-issued jacket?

1697418916199.jpeg

[IMG alt="Barclay Donaldson"]https://cdn1-hfboards.mandatory.com/data/avatars/l/298/298271.jpg?1582650833[/IMG]

@S E P H looks very shnazzy in it

• Haha
Reactions: Roadhog

SemireliableSource

Liter-a-cola
Sep 30, 2006
HSV
Nothing has been bypassed. There have been changes but nothing's been bypassed.

You do understand how this argument does nothing but hammer home the whole willfully ignorant at best argument, right?

Reactions: CrazyEddie20

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Nothing has been bypassed. There have been changes but nothing's been bypassed.

You do understand how this argument does nothing but hammer home the whole willfully ignorant at best argument, right?
Yes, for Covid it has been. NCAA has granted players redshirt years if they were impacted by Covid, but more importantly, the transfer portal. They granted players more eligibility to move and not miss an entire year compared to non-Covid years.

dm8895

Apr 3, 2015
Freddy Beach
You already are a rock star. You are HFB famous. Even if it is because you are completely detached from reality.
He’s as famous as you can be on here. I basically never stray from CIS/NCAA forums and I’d heard about him from someone I know in real life. When Random people in New Brunswick are talking about you, you’ve made it

mk80

Jul 30, 2012
:clap: Bravo!

On the whole subject of CHL player eligibility, there have only been a couple players who have submitted a waiver to the NCAA and have been granted their eligibility back. Austen Swankler is the most recent example and his waiver was granted as a result of Covid, limiting him to one OHL season before his age out year.

He is an exception, not the rule though.

SemireliableSource

Liter-a-cola
Sep 30, 2006
HSV
Yes, for Covid it has been. NCAA has granted players redshirt years if they were impacted by Covid, but more importantly, the transfer portal. They granted players more eligibility to move and not miss an entire year compared to non-Covid years.
You do realize you're describing new rules being passed, right?

Also, the transfer portal is a pre-COVID change so a swing and a miss on that one.

Big Z Man 1990

Jun 4, 2011
Don't say anything at all
I'm still waiting for California's 7 FBS schools to launch D1 men's ice hockey teams.

The former Pac-12 schools would go in the Big Ten, the LA schools as full members and the Bay Area schools as affiliates with Arizona State also reversing its NCHC acceptance in favor of a new invitation for Big Ten affiliate membership, giving the B1G 12 schools for men's ice hockey.

The NCHC would not only add Bowling Green to reunite them with their MAC brethren but it would also be the landing spot for the three Cal State schools in FBS.

CrazyEddie20

Hey RuZZia - Cut Your Losses and Go Home.
Jun 26, 2007
Back of a cop car
I'm still waiting for California's 7 FBS schools to launch D1 men's ice hockey teams.

The former Pac-12 schools would go in the Big Ten, the LA schools as full members and the Bay Area schools as affiliates with Arizona State also reversing its NCHC acceptance in favor of a new invitation for Big Ten affiliate membership, giving the B1G 12 schools for men's ice hockey.

The NCHC would not only add Bowling Green to reunite them with their MAC brethren but it would also be the landing spot for the three Cal State schools in FBS.
You've got a better chance of seeing San Jose State (or any other school, for that matter) restart its NCAA boxing program than you do of seeing even one of those schools start a hockey program.

And yes, there was once NCAA boxing: https://vault.si.com/vault/1960/04/25/the-end-of-college-boxing

JMCx4

Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO

JMCx4

Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
College Hockey News picked up the Simon Fraser flag ...
November 18, 2023

Simon Fraser Angling for D-I Hockey Status​

Canadian School Has 6 Exhibitions Lined Up This Season

by Mike McMahon/Staff Writer

Simon Fraser University hired Jason Krog as “hockey advisor” for this season, raising some eyebrows from those around college hockey. Krog is the 1999 Hobey Baker Award winner while playing for New Hampshire, and played in the NHL.

SFU is the only Canadian school with NCAA membership, but the hockey program is a club sport and plays in the BCIHL. The rest of SFU's sports are D-II.

This season, SFU lined up games against Boston College, Boston University, Michigan, and Colorado College. They want this year's schedule to be the precursor to joining the NCAA as a full-fledged member soon. So far, it had played four games vs. NCAA D-I teams this year, losing all four. It next plays at Long Island on Nov. 25 and concludes this year's jaunt at BC on Jan. 6.

The plan is for SFU to eventually transition into two teams. The current head coach, Mark Coletta, will coach what will become an independent team and play a schedule comprised of NCAA and USport opponents. The hope is for that team to obtain NCAA membership eventually. SFU plans to keep its BCIHL (club) team as well.

Because the rest of SFU's sports compete at the Division II level, SFU would be eligible for D-I hockey because there is no D-II national championship. ...

Read more at: Simon Fraser Angling for D-I Hockey Status | CHN

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Simon Frasier would be an interesting add for varsity hockey. Would have to imagine that they'd have a pretty healthy pipeline of Canadian players.

Their travel schedule would be tough, though, be that NCHC or CCHA.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad