GDT: NCAA Frozen Four Tournament

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Starts today, Habs have 2 prospects, Jake Evans (Notre Dame) and Hayden Hawkey (Providence) but Hawkey has only played in a grand total of 2 1/2 games all year so he will only be in if an injury occurs. His team won the National Championship last year so they could go far again this year.

http://www.uscho.com/ncaa/mens-division-i-ncaa-tournament/

Midwest Regional (Cincinnati)

• North Dakota vs. Northeastern, 2 p.m. EDT Friday, ESPNU

• Michigan vs. Notre Dame, 5:30 p.m. EDT Friday, ESPNU

East Regional (Albany, N.Y.)

• Quinnipiac vs. Rochester Institute of Technology, 4 p.m. EDT Saturday, ESPNU

• UMass-Lowell vs. Yale, 7:30 p.m. EDT Saturday, ESPN3

Northeast Regional (Worcester, Mass)

• Providence vs. Minnesota-Duluth, 4:30 p.m. EDT Friday, ESPN3

• Boston College vs. Harvard, 8 p.m. EDT Friday, ESPNU

West Regional (St. Paul, Minn.)

• St. Cloud State vs. Ferris State, 2 p.m. CDT Saturday, ESPNews

• Denver vs. Boston University, 5:30 p.m. CDT Saturday, ESPNU

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
For anyone watching the first game which is just about to start, keep an eye on a few possible FA's,

North Dakota vs. Northeastern 2pm - (airing on TSN2, ESPNU)

For Northeastern there's Kevin Roy, he's a 4th round pick of the Ducks, he's had a down year and there has been talk they may not sign him. He's had some good years in the past, his team is the one that knocked Jake Evans team out of the playoffs. Zachary Aston-Reese is a undrafted Junior, he leads the team in scoring. Nolan Stevens was passed over the last 2 drafts where he was in the USHL and a Freshman at Providence but this year he's broken out with 41 pts in 40 games and leads the team in goals.

For North Dakota there's undrafted UFA's Drake Caggiula who's rumored to have around 20 NHL teams interested in signing him after the tournament. 2nd on the team in points, former teammate of Mark MacMillan's. He's not that big but plays hard. There's also Troy Stecher who has NHL interest, the Leafs being one of them I believe. He's a Junior though so we'll see if he opts to turn pro or not. There's also their goalie Cameron Johnson but he's only a Sophomore but someone to keep an eye on as he's posted impressive numbers this year.

Last edited:

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
Weird to think that 30% of the current NHL players have played in the NCAA system. Judging by the last few drafts, that number will only go up too. Hockey sure has changed a lot in the last 20 years.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
For anyone watching on TSN2, keep in mind that Dave Starman is a Habs NCAA scout.

What a beat down by North Dakota, they are just steam rolling Northeastern.

Brock Boeser looking like a great pick for the Nucks.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Notre Dame up 2-1 in the 2nd. Just turned the game on though so don't know how Evans has done.

Notre Dame game goes to OT, Providence games goes to double OT.

Last edited:

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
Will be going to see Michigan/N Dakota tonight.

I've only seen a handful of NCAA D1 hockey games but have enjoyed the few which I've seen. Good pace and a lot of hitting.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
Very enjoyable experience.

Great intensity level throughout entire game. UND carried the play and deserved to move on.

It was neat seeing the two teams with the most NCAA hockey championships playing one another. Michigan was very well represented in the stands and the support for North Dakota was very good as well-especially since it's a 12 hour drive for their fans.

Cincinnati hosts the regionals again next season and I plan on attending all 3 games of that tournament.

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON

Great intensity level throughout entire game. UND carried the play and deserved to move on.

It was neat seeing the two teams with the most NCAA hockey championships playing one another. Michigan was very well represented in the stands and the support for North Dakota was very good as well-especially since it's a 12 hour drive for their fans.

Cincinnati hosts the regionals again next season and I plan on attending all 3 games of that tournament.

Don't forget to write a few player reports for us while you're at it ;) !

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003

I made a trade and picked up Brock Boeser for my simulation league. What can you tell me about his play lately? Do you feel like he needs another NCAA year?

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
watched a little of the game, was a good one. North Dakota has some of the best fans in college hockey. What a great program they have there.

I made a trade and picked up Brock Boeser for my simulation league. What can you tell me about his play lately? Do you feel like he needs another NCAA year?

He looks very impressive but needs to bulk up some. Nucks look like they got a good one, what a year he's having.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
He looks very impressive but needs to bulk up some. Nucks look like they got a good one, what a year he's having.

So bulking up means.....staying there for another year. And since in my simulated league, we can think of putting the guy in our team after a minimum of 1 pro year....I'll have him at best in 3 years...geez....

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
So bulking up means.....staying there for another year. And since in my simulated league, we can think of putting the guy in our team after a minimum of 1 pro year....I'll have him at best in 3 years...geez....

I would think so unless the Nucks think he can do that in the AHL. I would be surprised, but on the other hand he's had such an impressive season I could see a team being tempted to have him turn pro. If he were a Hab prospect, I would want him to return to ND.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008

I don't know enough about NCAA hockey to shake a stick at, so it's hard for me to make evaluations. I'm used to looking at ECHL players and gauging their development.

The only guy I really focused upon was Zach Werenski who was an 8th overall pick for Columbus last season. North Dakota generated a ton of scoring chances and Boeser was certainly noticeable, but I really didn't watch him enough to even begin to start developing an opinion about him.

GREMLIN

Tanking enthusiast
Sep 19, 2013

He looks just as good as Horvat, McCann, Virtanen did before turning pro so I don't think it's a stretch by any means to pencil him into the Nucks lineup next year. I think he has a legit shot because he seems like a good fit to play with the twins, I see him and Anton Rodin both getting a look on the 1st line next pre-season.

GREMLIN

Tanking enthusiast
Sep 19, 2013

Came across this in Friedman's new "30 thoughts", thought you might be interested.

If you missed it during the Los Angeles/Vancouver broadcast Monday night, John Shannon reported Vancouver’s position on Brock Boeser’s future has evolved. Boeser, who the Canucks selected 23rd overall last June, goes to this weekend’s NCAA Frozen Four on a high. The North Dakota freshman has 54 points in 40 games, with his play elevating to new levels as the games’ importance increased. If the forward chooses to go pro, Canucks GM Jim Benning will not stand in his way.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad