NCAA Eligibility & CHL

BadgerBruce

Aug 8, 2013
This doesn't quite line up with how Ben Boyd played for SMU this year (he remains on Charlottetown's protected list), or how Peter Reynolds might go to UNB this fall (would likely not clear waivers). Is there another loophole that is being used?
Peter Reynolds is 20 years old now (turned 20 in January) and is not obligated to play CHL as an over-ager (he’s an 03 birth year). He’s free to go.

EH7

Aug 12, 2007
Second, there are occasionally unique personal circumstances that lead CHL teams to “do the right thing.” In the case of Ben Boyd leaving Charlottetown to join SMU, Ken Campbell wrote about this (“QMJHL GM-coach puts player's mental health ahead of wins”). “When a Columbus Blue Jackets' prospect needed to be closer to his family, the Charlottetown Islanders put his well-being ahead of their own.” In other words, the Islanders did him an absolute solid when he was in distress.

QMJHL GM-coach puts player's mental health ahead of wins

Peter Reynolds is 20 years old now (turned 20 in January) and is not obligated to play CHL as an over-ager (he’s an 03 birth year). He’s free to go.

Ahh, thank you on both accounts. For some reason thought Reynolds was an 04... brain fart on my part.

My point about Boyd was mainly that he never got "released/waived" and that Charlottetown retained (and still retains) his rights. Here he is listed on the preseason roster for the upcoming year: Charlottetown Islanders – Official site of the Charlottetown Islanders

There were some rumours last summer that Cam Russell was working on a trade to bring Boyd to Halifax. It never materialized as he and Hulton couldn't agree on a trade, and Boyd ended up at SMU.

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
Ahh, thank you on both accounts. For some reason thought Reynolds was an 04... brain fart on my part.

My point about Boyd was mainly that he never got "released/waived" and that Charlottetown retained (and still retains) his rights. Here he is listed on the preseason roster for the upcoming year: Charlottetown Islanders – Official site of the Charlottetown Islanders

There were some rumours last summer that Cam Russell was working on a trade to bring Boyd to Halifax. It never materialized as he and Hulton couldn't agree on a trade, and Boyd ended up at SMU.

I'm thinking that if PEI "keeps" Boyd he doesn't have to clear waivers.

dm8895

V-Reds , McJesus Stan , Beer Leaguer
Apr 3, 2015
Freddy Beach
Not to hijack the thread but holy shit when Reynolds was younger I thought he was headed to the show , the 3 best local minor hockey players I’ve seen were Reynolds , Luc Deschenses and Spencer Smallman.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad