NCAA/CHL Free Agents 2024

RAFI BOMB

May 11, 2016
It is a bit early, but I think Gleb Veremyev and Jaxon Nelson would be good targets out of the NCAA.

Jaxon Nelson C 6'4 225 lbs 23 years old University of Minnesota
2023-24: 22 GP 6 G 10 A 16 PTS
Jaxon Nelson at eliteprospects.com

From a play style perspective Nelson reminds me of Nick Paul. He hits hard, is very strong and is a sound 200 foot player. He also displays some flashes of skill.

Gleb Veremyev C 6'4 205 lbs 20 years old Colorado College
2023-24: 20 GP 8 G 7 A 15 PTS
Gleb Veremyev at eliteprospects.com

From a play style perspective Veremyev reminds me of Brady Tkachuk. He drives the puck hard to the net and can be a nuisance as a net front presence. He throws massive hits and was a pretty impressive fighter back in the USHL. He seems more well rounded now then when he was draft eligible as his team uses him in OT and I think he also is used to kill penalties.

Both players would need time in Belleville but they are solid depth players that could be added to the prospect pool.

Reactions: bert and aragorn

Loach

Jun 9, 2021
How many can we get every year? Can we grab a bunch for the system? How do the contracts and spots work? I want free players!

RAFI BOMB

May 11, 2016
How many can we get every year? Can we grab a bunch for the system? How do the contracts and spots work? I want free players!
NHL teams have a contract limit of 50. In the NHL there is a roster limit of 23 players. All the remaining contracts would be assigned to either the AHL or ECHL if they count against the contract limit. If teams are signing NCAA or CHL free agents to NHL contracts then they would count against that limit.

A team could sign multiple CHL or NCAA free agents but they typically don't have that much contract space. They tend to focus those contracts more on established pros or drafted prospects. I don't know what the limit is on AHL only contracts but NCAA/CHL free agents would only consider those contracts after they have exhausted their eligibility in those other leagues and were neither drafted or offered an ELC.

But yes, the Sens could certainly sign a few if they feel they are worth giving an ELC to. They might consider that because some of their prospects are going to lose their waiver exempt status next season and most of the drafted prospects that they retain the rights to are not expected to turn pro next season. Unless they trade for some more prospects, there is a decent chance that they take a solid look at some of the NCAA and CHL free agents.

Reactions: Loach

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
Jacob Quillan and Collin Graf, both playing for Quinnipiac (top-five ranked NCAA team)

Jacob Quillan - 6'0 / 200 lbs / 21 - 11 -15 - 26
Collin Graf - 6'0 / 170 lbs / 16-14-17-31 (from hockeydb but he's bigger than 170 imo)

Different types of players, but both worth looking into, imo.

Quillan is a high energy type who probably projects as more of a 3rd liner at the next level. High compete level. Should be a good net front presence, adequate to good defensively. I kind of project him as Parker Kelly+.

Graf is more of the typical "top-six or bust" type of player. He doesn't have the same jam as Quillan but is almost a GPG this year in the NCAA. Very smart player who seems to be able to find the soft spots in the offensive zone. I don't think he's the type of guy teams would want on the 4th liner, so he's a higher risk/higher reward option than Quillan.

Reactions: RAFI BOMB

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
Nick Zabaneh from Boston University is intriguing. Minimal numbers in terms of offense but watching the home and home series between BU and Boston College this weekend he was constantly in the middle of things and often played against BC's top line.

More than likely will have to start in minor pro (if he desires a pro career) but will be interesting to watch in the Hockey East and NCAA tournaments.

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
Who would you guys say is the last college FA that had an impact in the NHL?

Not discounting 3rd and 4th line guys, they are important, but who came in and could produce?

Tap on the Ankle

Jun 9, 2004
Ottawa

Not discounting 3rd and 4th line guys, they are important, but who came in and could produce?
Dan Boyle, Ed Belfour, and Adam Oates. All were signed out of college in the previous millenium.

I think teams are just too good at scouting these days. Elite guys are unlikely to slip through the cracks anymore. Reasonable expectation of an undrafted college FA these days would be Jesse Winchester/Colin Greening.

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018

Krug, Bozak, Dekeyser, Tanev, Kunitz, Penner, Purcell, Pionk, Sheary, Schmidt, probably missing a few

Reactions: Bileur and DrEasy

RAFI BOMB

May 11, 2016

I am not sure about the most recent but Frank Vatrano is an example of an undrafted NCAA free agent who has found success at the NHL level. He is actually having a strong season from a production standpoint this year: 49 GP 21 G 14 A 35 PTS.

Then there are some other depth players like Noel Acciari, Ryan Lomberg, Logan O'Connor, Sean Walker, Zach Whitecloud, Garnet Hathaway, Evan Rodrigues, Conor Sheary among others.

Reactions: OD99

Senovision

May 23, 2011
Interesting Zac Funk is in his 6th year of Junior hockey. Started playing as a 15 year old with the Calgary Hitmen.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Interesting Zac Funk is in his 6th year of Junior hockey. Started playing as a 15 year old with the Calgary Hitmen.
You're allowed to suit up in the WHL as a 15 year old as an emergency replacement or when your season is complete. Ostapchuk did the same. Doesn't count as an incurred season. Bedard's 15 year old season was counted, as he received ES.

One of the perks of having a Bantam draft compared to a Midget draft

RAFI BOMB

May 11, 2016
Coles notes for the paywall?
Corey Pronman wrote the article, so it is his subjective assessment of NCAA, CHL and European free agents. He wrote a brief write up on all players listed, which I won't include here, and then created three tiers to categorize the players. I will list the players and tiers here and you can look into the players and make your own assessments.

Tier 1: Projected Middle of Lineup Player
  • Colin Graf RW NCAA
Tier 2: Projected to Play NHL Games
  • Maxim Tsyplakov RW KHL
  • Oscar Eklind LW SHL
  • Jacob Quinllan C NCAA
  • Cooper Black G NCAA
  • Victor Ostman G NCAA
Tier 3: Has a Chance to Play Games
  • Samuel Mayer LD OHL
  • Christian Fitzgerald C NCAA
  • Drew Bavaro RD NCAA
  • Riese Gaber RW NCAA
  • Jakub Rychlovsky LW Czechia
  • Dylan Wendt RW NCAA
  • Carter King C NCAA
  • Joshua Eernisse RW NCAA
  • John Prokop LD NCAA
  • Daniil Gutik RW KHL
  • Ben Kraws G NCAA
Tier 4: Long Shot to Play Games
  • Marcus Sylvegard RW SHL
  • Marcus Hardegard LD SHL
  • Zac Funk LW WHL
  • Karsen Dorwart C NCAA
  • Jaxon Nelson C NCAA
  • Jacob Bengsston LD NCAA
  • Justin Hryckowian C NCAA
  • Luke Krys RD NCAA
  • Arttu Hyry RW Liiga
  • Dalton Bancroft C NCAA
  • Bret Link RW NCAA
  • Andrei Chivilyov C KHL
  • TJ Hughes C NCAA
  • Lynden Breen C NCAA
  • Connor Punnett RD OHL
  • Simon Tassy RW NCAA
  • Joey Larsson RW NCAA
  • Gleb Veremyev LW NCAA

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
Corey Pronman wrote the article, so it is his subjective assessment of NCAA, CHL and European free agents. He wrote a brief write up on all players listed, which I won't include here, and then created three tiers to categorize the players. I will list the players and tiers here and you can look into the players and make your own assessments.

Tier 1: Projected Middle of Lineup Player
  • Colin Graf RW NCAA
Tier 2: Projected to Play NHL Games
  • Maxim Tsyplakov RW KHL
  • Oscar Eklind LW SHL
  • Jacob Quinllan C NCAA
  • Cooper Black G NCAA
  • Victor Ostman G NCAA
Tier 3: Has a Chance to Play Games
  • Samuel Mayer LD OHL
  • Christian Fitzgerald C NCAA
  • Drew Bavaro RD NCAA
  • Riese Gaber RW NCAA
  • Jakub Rychlovsky LW Czechia
  • Dylan Wendt RW NCAA
  • Carter King C NCAA
  • Joshua Eernisse RW NCAA
  • John Prokop LD NCAA
  • Daniil Gutik RW KHL
  • Ben Kraws G NCAA
Tier 4: Long Shot to Play Games
  • Marcus Sylvegard RW SHL
  • Marcus Hardegard LD SHL
  • Zac Funk LW WHL
  • Karsen Dorwart C NCAA
  • Jaxon Nelson C NCAA
  • Jacob Bengsston LD NCAA
  • Justin Hryckowian C NCAA
  • Luke Krys RD NCAA
  • Arttu Hyry RW Liiga
  • Dalton Bancroft C NCAA
  • Bret Link RW NCAA
  • Andrei Chivilyov C KHL
  • TJ Hughes C NCAA
  • Lynden Breen C NCAA
  • Connor Punnett RD OHL
  • Simon Tassy RW NCAA
  • Joey Larsson RW NCAA
  • Gleb Veremyev LW NCAA
I don't know any of these players, but I sure hope we are actively pursuing players from the top 2 tiers at least. Almost doesn't matter which position they play, we need depth everywhere. This should mean they get a real chance to play some games with us at the NHL level immediately (we lose a few roster players after the trade deadline), which should be a good sales pitch.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
It is a bit early, but I think Gleb Veremyev and Jaxon Nelson would be good targets out of the NCAA.

Jaxon Nelson C 6'4 225 lbs 23 years old University of Minnesota
2023-24: 22 GP 6 G 10 A 16 PTS
Jaxon Nelson at eliteprospects.com

From a play style perspective Nelson reminds me of Nick Paul. He hits hard, is very strong and is a sound 200 foot player. He also displays some flashes of skill.

Gleb Veremyev C 6'4 205 lbs 20 years old Colorado College
2023-24: 20 GP 8 G 7 A 15 PTS
Gleb Veremyev at eliteprospects.com

From a play style perspective Veremyev reminds me of Brady Tkachuk. He drives the puck hard to the net and can be a nuisance as a net front presence. He throws massive hits and was a pretty impressive fighter back in the USHL. He seems more well rounded now then when he was draft eligible as his team uses him in OT and I think he also is used to kill penalties.

Both players would need time in Belleville but they are solid depth players that could be added to the prospect pool.
One right shot C & the other a left shot C who can both play centre or wing is always interesting. I also like Zack Funk a lot, why not take a flyer on this guy who hits, fights & scores. We have too many soft players on our roster.

Reactions: Cosmix

RAFI BOMB

May 11, 2016
I don't know any of these players, but I sure hope we are actively pursuing players from the top 2 tiers at least. Almost doesn't matter which position they play, we need depth everywhere. This should mean they get a real chance to play some games with us at the NHL level immediately (we lose a few roster players after the trade deadline), which should be a good sales pitch.
I am not familiar with many of the players listed either.

I still think the Sens should be signing Jaxon Nelson and Gleb Veremyev. They are both big, physical players, who can kill penalties and chip in some offense. They would need some time in Belleville but I think they can be developed into high quality bottom six forwards.

A number of the Sens forward prospects in Belleville are becoming waiver eligible next season and they don't have many forward prospects expected to turn pro so they need to restock the forwards on ELCs. Even when it comes to the draft, most won't be eligible to play in Belleville next season or it might not be the best route for their development path so the Sens could use some more pro bodies.

I think if you can get a useful depth player with some versatility to them in these types of free agents then that is a big win. More often than not the kinds of big name free agents in the NCAA/CHL/Europe are players that can't quite solidify a top six role and aren't quite suited for a bottom six role either so they don't really have a role on the team. It seems like a better approach to add some prospects that can serve a clear depth role and then be happy if they end up something more than that.

RAFI BOMB

May 11, 2016
Daniil Gutik would be an interesting free agent addition. I thought he was worth considering back when he was draft eligible and he seems to have had decent development since then. He is a bad skater for the most part but he does have a pretty good set of hands on him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad