NCAA and CIS VS ECHL

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
I'd like to think that the Top teams would do OK against mid-level ECHL teams. Keep in mind that some ECHL players are ex-CIS.

MiamiHockey

Sep 12, 2012
I think the top CIS teams would beat ECHL teams. If you look at those ex-CIS players who have gone on to the ECHL, or come from the ECHL after a year or two, their PPG are pretty consistent across the two leagues. So, it's a similar level of play. I think the CIS teams are better-coached and play more cohesively as their rosters have little turnover from year-to-year. So, I'd put my money on the top 10 CIS teams beating ECHL competition.

NCAA vs ECHL would be a tremendous clash of playing style. NCAA players are younger than CIS and ECHL players, on average, but the pace of play in the NCAA is much higher than the ECHL. The NCAA is a fast game, whereas the ECHL is more grinding. I'd be fascinated to see which style would prevail. It would be close.

JMCx4

Censorship is the Sincerest Form of Flattery
Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
... NCAA vs ECHL would be a tremendous clash of playing style. NCAA players are younger than CIS and ECHL players, on average, but the pace of play in the NCAA is much higher than the ECHL. The NCAA is a fast game, whereas the ECHL is more grinding. I'd be fascinated to see which style would prevail. It would be close.
The difference in "style" would either be diminished or enhanced, depending on which set of rules are imposed on ice. If a good ECHL team (say top 2 from any division) was allowed to play a physical game, the NCAA team's speed could be neutralized (especially on an NHL-sized or smaller rink). There's also an intimidation factor inherent in age differences that could influence the outcome. But if given space & time to learn some of their opponent's strengths and weaknesses, I'd give a Div I Top Ten team a fair chance of presumed upset - especially in their home arena or with a college fan-heavy crowd at a neutral site. Some ECHL teams may be reliant on a quiet arena to help them concentrate on the game. :sarcasm:

BTW, thanks to the OP for this frivilous but fun what-if discussion idea. :thumbu:

Drummer

Better Red than Dead
Mar 20, 2009
Freddy Beach, NB
www.vredshockey.com
I would say that USPORTS is equivalent to ECHL. Due to the NCAA domination over USPORTS - I'd lean towards the NCAA winning over the ECHL. The ECHL maybe more physical, but the NCAA is faster and I see them winning on the rush and quick counter attack.

TFuel

Feb 27, 2013
I might be wrong but I thought UNB played a few exhibition games against the Portland Pirates of the AHL and won. This was a few years back if I recall. Please feel free to correct me if I am wrong which I could well be

edit: I found this:

This will be UNB’s second game against the Pirates as they dropped a 4-2 decision to Portland in 2009. Previous games for UNB versus pro competition included a 3-1 victory over the New York Islander Rookies in 2007, a loss to the NY Islander Rookies the following year at the Aitken Centre and a 3-3 tie against the former AHL Saint John Flames in 2003

and this:

The University of New Brunswick Varsity Reds traveled south of the border today for an afternoon scrimmage against the AHL's Portland Pirates and came away on the wrong side of a 2-1 shootout decision.

The game remained scoreless until late in the second period when Jordan Szwarz beat UNB goalie Travis Fullerton to give the Pirates - the top affiliate of the NHL's Phoenix Coyotes - a 1-0 lead heading into the final period. The V-Reds would tie the game with 11:59 left in the third period when rookie Cam Braes skated through the crease and backhanded a shot over the Pirates Mike Lee. In overtime Tyler Carroll had a great chance to give UNB the victory when he had a breakaway with a minute remaining but his shot hit the post and stayed out. The game then went to a shootout where Chris Brown and Szwarz scored for the Pirates, giving them the win.

Despite the loss the V-Reds can take a lot of positives out of this game. From some accounts the Pirates dressed a full AHL squad, one which included top prospects Brandon Gormley (13th overall, 2010) and David Rundblad (17th overall, 2009), former Team Canada World Junior goalie Mark Visentin (who played the first part of the game), and the Canadian Hockey League's top scorer from last season Brendan Shinnimin. The fact that the Varsity Reds were able to push an AHL team featuring some pretty highly regarded players to a shootout should only help them going forward.

- 4 former Lewiston MAINEiacs suited up for UNB in today's game - Chad Denny, Antoine Houde-Caron, Cameron Critchlow, and Travis Fullerton.

- Former St. FX defenceman Mark Louis was in the Pirates line-up. He signed a professional contract earlier this summer.

- The V-Reds are back in action on Saturday night when they travel to Chestnut Hill to face the defending NCAA champion Boston College Eagles at the Conte Forum. Game time is scheduled for 8pm AST.

TFuel

Feb 27, 2013
I think that says a lot about who should win between CIS and NCAA versus ECHL

JackalsKnuckles

Jun 18, 2007
The Ottawa Gee Gees played the AHL Binghamton Senators during the 2016 preseason after having the team dormant for 2 seasons for disciplinary reasons. The result was close, with Bingo winning 3-2, although early season AHL preseason games have quite a few ECHL caliber players taking the ice for the AHL club.

Ottawa is much more of a middle of the pack CIS team compared to UNB

B-SENS DOWN U. OF OTTAWA IN PRESEASON ACTION, 3-2

Drummer

Better Red than Dead
Mar 20, 2009
Freddy Beach, NB
www.vredshockey.com
I think that says a lot about who should win between CIS and NCAA versus ECHL

I would stay away from specific examples - I was looking at USPORTS as a whole vs NCAA and ECHL. UNB & Alberta are exponentially better than the USPORTS league as a whole. The Portland Pirates were not necessary a strong AHL team that year and UNB was close to peaking with that class of seniors.

USPORTS (generally) does not fair very well vs NCAA. This past fall they were 8-27-5 and that was one of their better showings. So, the NCAA teams are faster and their top talent is NHL Round #1 drafts and will win most of their games vs USPORTS and would likely win against the ECHL as well. USPORTS and ECHL are about the same - good teams will defeat weak teams on either side of the board.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
A guy I know who played NCAA for a decent team, Mankato, then later played for years in the ECHL said that the ECHL was better. Simpler older, better, pro players.

Bonk

May 18, 2007
Cincinnati
My NCAA team (Miami U.) plays in the NCHC, which is the best league in the NCAA. Every team in that conference is in the top half of the NCAA, including three in the top 10, and it is definitely better than the ECHL.

However, the NCAA overall is probably about even or maybe a little better.

Based on what little CIS I've seen I think it's below both the ECHL and NCAA.

canucks4ever

Mar 4, 2008
My NCAA team (Miami U.) plays in the NCHC, which is the best league in the NCAA. Every team in that conference is in the top half of the NCAA, including three in the top 10, and it is definitely better than the ECHL.

However, the NCAA overall is probably about even or maybe a little better.

Based on what little CIS I've seen I think it's below both the ECHL and NCAA.
In your opinion, are top 10 NCAA teams AHL caliber?

Bonk

May 18, 2007
Cincinnati
In your opinion, are top 10 NCAA teams AHL caliber?

I don't think so. Those teams have a handful of studs but aren't deep enough to match up with a team of pros that are at worst worthy of a call-up to the NHL and at best NHL stars-in-waiting.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad