News Article: NBA Will Suspend Season: All Non-NHL Coronavirus Discussion

Richie Daggers Crime

Boosted 9 times double masked they/them
Mar 8, 2004
Boise
These experts have motivation, more funding for their research. This is a run of the mill virus on par with the flu. We don’t shut down society over the flu.

On one hand, you're right. It's basically the flu with a slightly higher mortality rate. I think the difference is that there's no pre-existing inoculation like there is with the flu, where people get vaccinated and have stored antibodies to prevent it from spreading so quickly and so completely.

I tend to think that we're watching a place like China going full-nuclear to prevent the spread and inferring that it's some ridiculous killer disease and people are dropping like flies. China has a lot to lose with a quickly spreading pandemic. It's an authoritarian country where their citizens are slaves, tons of people are packed into small spaces and 99% of everything in that country is centrally planned. If 40% of them get the flu in a month, it could destroy the country. The US/Canada isn't in the same boat. Tons of people getting sick at the same time would be economically terrible, but the country wouldn't collapse.

Reactions: 2ndGenIslander

macleod50

Apr 24, 2006
Long Island, NY
I have elder family members and family with underlying conditions.
This is more serious and concerning then the flu to those of us with family/friends who are at a higher risk.

Bingo.

It's getting tiring reading the, "I'm young, I'll be fine crowd" here and everywhere else. I know HF usually skews towards the shallow end of the IQ pool, but some of the takes I've seen here are just brutal.

Let's look at this way: Hooray you're younger than 40 and have a great immune system. You get it, you'll probably be fine. You might feel like crap for a few days or so. Now think about all of the other the people you have come into contact with that don't have your immune system or have health problems.

24diving

Apr 5, 2013
suffolk, long island
Bingo.

It's getting tiring reading the, "I'm young, I'll be fine crowd" here and everywhere else. I know HF usually skews towards the shallow end of the IQ pool, but some of the takes I've seen here are just brutal.

Let's look at this way: Hooray you're younger than 40 and have a great immune system. You get it, you'll probably be fine. You might feel like crap for a few days or so. Now think about all of the other the people you have come into contact with that don't have your immune system or have health problems.

Getting a bit off topic of the nba shutdown, but here’s a quote from an European doctor that put things a bit in perspective for me

Here's why: Fatality is the wrong yardstick. Catching the virus can mess up your life in many, many more ways than just straight-up killing you. "We are all young"—okay. "Even if we get the bug, we will survive"—fantastic. How about needing four months of physical therapy before you even feel human again. Or getting scar tissue in your lungs and having your activity level restricted for the rest of your life. Not to mention having every chance of catching another bug in hospital, while you're being treated or waiting to get checked with an immune system distracted even by the false alarm of an ordinary flu. No travel for leisure or business is worth this risk.
Now, odds are, you might catch coronavirus and might not even get symptoms. Great. Good for you. Very bad for everyone else, from your own grandparents to the random older person who got on the subway train a stop or two after you got off. You're fine, you're barely even sneezing or coughing, but you're walking around and you kill a couple of old ladies without even knowing it. Is that fair? You tell me.
Young and unafraid of the pandemic? Good for you. Now stop killing people — Newsweek

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
If they suspend the regular season and play no more games, but then have a playoffs, I'd have to think we'd be in it. They shouldn't go by total points but rather by points per game. And we'd be in the 2WC in that case.

The Lighthouse

Aug 1, 2011
Fact is anyone advocating for extremist, destructive intervention has an agenda other than safety.

The fact that Italy screwed up is of no concern to me.

It's not just Italy, either. In Germany, experts believe that up to 2/3 of the population will end up infected with this at some point. Congress's attending physician estimates 75 to 150 million could become affected here.

The issue isn't the majority of people, who will, in all likelihood, be fine. The issue is that when you have an illness that spreads as rapidly as this, if you even have a small percentage of people that end up needing urgent care, the medical system can easily become overwhelmed. You're talking lack of hospital beds, ventilators, etc. If even 1/3 of the country became infected, you're looking at some serious problems dealing with it. When you have a massive strain on the medical system, you're making choices as to who should receive care in an emergency.

So I'm ok with trying to deal with this proactively.

The Lighthouse

Aug 1, 2011
For the record,I have a cold, sore throat, cough -- no fever.

I know you're going to be disappointed, but it's best if you don't attend the last game at Barclays at 5pm on a Sunday. You're going to have to miss Marvel Super Hero night.

Beacon Isles

Feb 20, 2015
Beacon, NY
Im curious, probably too early to ask, but when they say suspend the season, when it does resume, will they just reschedule the missed games and tag them on to the end of the season? For instance, I have tickets for the 4/4 Isles-Devils game that was supposed to be the last home game of the season, Im assuming if things settle down by then, they would still play 4/4 and just tack the missed games on at the end? Would seem less of a hassle that way for arena availability?

The Lighthouse

Aug 1, 2011
Im curious, probably too early to ask, but when they say suspend the season, when it does resume, will they just reschedule the missed games and tag them on to the end of the season? For instance, I have tickets for the 4/4 Isles-Devils game that was supposed to be the last home game of the season, Im assuming if things settle down by then, they would still play 4/4 and just tack the missed games on at the end? Would seem less of a hassle that way for arena availability?

I think the NHL is making an announcement today. They might mention it then. It might be that they'll take a wait and see attitude like the NBA.

islesfan3913

Apr 5, 2011
Orange County, NY
I have elder family members and family with underlying conditions.
This is more serious and concerning then the flu to those of us with family/friends who are at a higher risk.

Yes that’s absolutely true, and those in situations like yours I can understand taking extra precautions. However, my comment was more about the everyday person freaking out and stocking up on goods and supplies for the next six months and acting like it’s the end of the world. Like I said, it is worse than the regular flu, but to act like it’s the plague is just ignoring what it really is.

2ndGenIslander

Feb 2, 2012
Nassau
id love for the season to be suspended for two months. plus that would give the isles time to get their shit together. how cool would it be to go to that devils/isles saturday night game currently scheduled for april 4th in like july? margaritas and board shorts in the NVMC parking lot pregame

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
These experts have motivation, more funding for their research. This is a run of the mill virus on par with the flu. We don’t shut down society over the flu.

Rudy, is that you? :sarcasm:

I think it’s important that we exercise precaution and treat this as more than a run of the mill virus because...
A.) there’s currently not a vaccine for it like there is for Influenza A or B
B.) the mortality rate is higher than the flu, especially for people with weaker immune systems.

I have close family and friends that are old or currently in chemo and thus are more vulnerable to something like this.

Yeah, I’m a generally healthy 26 year old so I may only get a cough and a slight fever, but someone I know may not be able to fight the virus as easily or I may inadvertently pass along the virus at work and they may have people within their family that can’t fight the virus as easily either.

IslesCLT

Apr 25, 2019
Charlotte
Rudy, is that you? :sarcasm:

I think it’s important that we exercise precaution and treat this as more than a run of the mill virus because...
A.) there’s currently not a vaccine for it like there is for Influenza A or B
B.) the mortality rate is higher than the flu, especially for people with weaker immune systems.

I have close family and friends that are old or currently in chemo and thus are more vulnerable to something like this.

Yeah, I’m a generally healthy 26 year old so I may only get a cough and a slight fever, but someone I know may not be able to fight the virus as easily or I may inadvertently pass along the virus at work and they may have people within their family that can’t fight the virus as easily either.
The shortsightedness of people that cannot comprehend this is simply astounding.

The Lighthouse

Aug 1, 2011
The shortsightedness of people that cannot comprehend this is simply astounding.

And again, it's not just about how the illness would affect the vast majority of people, for whom it won't be a big deal. It's also about what it does to a medical system when, if you have huge numbers of infected, even a small percentage need urgent care.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad