Nazem Kadri all purpose thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
I don't see much change from how he's always played, he just happens to be having more success right now at the offensive end, which could be luck. Would like to see him learn from Kadri and bring the type of compete level Nazzy did in the last minute against the Habs, and really smother his man in the defensive zone. If he could do that he'd legitimately be a Bergeron lite.

You are wrong he is playing better in all ends of the rink. He is now a +4 and his lines ES numbers are going up. This is a far cry from lazy Bozak/Kessel with their Score 2 ES, play terrible and have 2-3 scored against on any given night.

Bozak is not playing bad at all, he is playing good all in all.

Eb

Feb 27, 2011
Toronto
You are wrong he is playing better in all ends of the rink. He is now a +4 and his lines ES numbers are going up. This is a far cry from lazy Bozak/Kessel with their Score 2 ES, play terrible and have 2-3 scored against on any given night.

Bozak is not playing bad at all, he is playing good all in all.

Completely disagree. Bozak has been playing as he always plays, but is just getting the right bounces to get him on the scoresheet.

Diatomic

Mitch Matthewlander
Mar 12, 2013
Air Canada Centre
Completely disagree. Bozak has been playing as he always plays, but is just getting the right bounces to get him on the scoresheet.

I disagree, I've always seen Bozak as a floater than only scores when he gets a nice dish off Kessel, now he's actually playing hard and generating offense.

Duffman955

Mar 4, 2010
I disagree, I've always seen Bozak as a floater than only scores when he gets a nice dish off Kessel, now he's actually playing hard and generating offense.

He has improved from last year. Last year, he couldn't hit an open net.

He is playing more like he did in his first year where he made great dishes to kessel and scored on the chances he got.

Cap'n Flavour

Mar 8, 2004
Flavour Country

He is getting bounces for sure, but that pass to JvR last night might have been more than just luck. Usually he puts those in a defenceman's skate without even looking. We'll see how long it lasts.

At least since coming back the rest of his game passes the eye test. I don't see glaring deficiencies in his individual game. If his line isn't doing well on possession it's not primarily his fault recently (blame Carlyle).

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
He is getting bounces for sure, but that pass to JvR last night might have been more than just luck. Usually he puts those in a defenceman's skate without even looking. We'll see how long it lasts.

At least since coming back the rest of his game passes the eye test. I don't see glaring deficiencies in his individual game. If his line isn't doing well on possession it's not primarily his fault recently (blame Carlyle).

I went to the NJ game last week, and watched the pre game warm up.

Bozak spent a good 10 mins saucering passes to Franson, it's no fluke. When you see him pay attention to this part of his game.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
I went to the NJ game last week, and watched the pre game warm up.

Bozak spent a good 10 mins saucering passes to Franson, it's no fluke. When you see him work on this part of his game.

Good maybe he can maste something and has put an en to his behind the back passes to opposition and weak board play. Heck I saw him take the body a few time and this time he didn't just rub them out soft like. He threw a hit, I almost clapped and cried on the spot it was an emotional moment for me after watching his half hearted play that just kept him good enough to be in the position. He even found a second gear and some intensity. Very promising stuff now all he has to do is maintain it.

PuckMagi

Apr 13, 2013
Toronto
Bozak is playing great this season... and he's looked even better since returning to the line up.

Do I think Bozak is a #1 C that should be getting $7 million per season? Of course not.

But we've got Kessel who is an elite winger and JVR who is very good and clearly a #1 winger on most teams in the NHL. So it's not like we can have 3 superstars all on one line. There are a few examples like the Blackhawks who really have an amazing first line... but the Leafs are easily in the top ten in the NHL for top line talent.

But Bozak looks like he's turning into a very good playmaking centre. He's made some great passes this year to set up Kessel and JVR. And when he gets his chances, he can convert and put the puck in the net. His forechecking is getting a lot better too and it's resulted in some nice goals recently.

So the JVR - Bozak - Kessel line looks great. Bozak works really well for us centering those two. There's no need to worry about that line at this point. We need to figure something out for our second and third lines. There's still a lot of talent in our second and third lines... but for a number of reasons, things just haven't fallen into place like it has for the top line.

Even if we somehow traded for a superstar centre tomorrow like say Joe Thornton or Evgeni Malkin... I would still probably go with:

JVR - Bozak- Kessel
Lupul - Thorton/Malkin - Clarkson

anyways... i've always liked bozak... i was happy with the contract he signed, and i think he's a very valuable center. He has shown that he can be used in a lot of situations. He can play on the top line and be a good playmaker with our superstars... he would still work well on a checking line.... he wins face offs, has a good shootout record... what's not to like?

leafstilldeath*

Bozak has been noticeably better thus far into the season but still a long way to go. He is most definitely not a #1 center but perhaps, #2? We shall see...

Bozak has to play on the other lines to gauge the caliber of bozak. he has always played with Kessel (minus a few games).

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
I like how people completely write him off as a #1C.

He is on a 70+ point pace this season (should he had played every game). If he can do that, he is easily a #1C. Heck, 60+ points with everything else he brings makes him a #1C

ErnieLeafs

Apr 7, 2009
Your opinion of Tyler is rather inflated.

Not an unexpected response.

he's not a 1c, no matter how hard you try to believe it.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Your opinion of Tyler is rather inflated.

Not an unexpected response.

he's not a 1c, no matter how hard you try to believe it.

So, in other words, your argument is "you're just wrong". Nice.

It's rather on the other end of the spectrum, and your opinion of Tyler Bozak is deflated. I mean, let's look at Patrice Bergeron. People drool over the guy. He is a 60 point center, and is good on faceoffs, and is good defensively.

Sounds like a center this season, doesn't it?

Once again, I ask you, what is your definition of a #1C? Just a player that gets 100 points?

ErnieLeafs

Apr 7, 2009

It's rather on the other end of the spectrum, and your opinion of Tyler Bozak is deflated. I mean, let's look at Patrice Bergeron. People drool over the guy. He is a 60 point center, and is good on faceoffs, and is good defensively.

Once again, I ask you, what is your definition of a #1C? Just a player that gets 100 points?

Okay. Does Tyler stack up against any of the following:

Toews
Getzlaf
Kopitar
Thornton
Datsyuk
Zetterberg
Giroux
Stamkos
E. Staal
Tavares
Crosby
Malkin

No. He doesn't. Those are legitimate #1 C's. He doesn't belong on that list.

not everyone is enamoured with Bergeron, either. But I'll ask you this: Why is Bergeron headed to Sochi and Tyler isn't, if they're practically a mirror of one another?

FosterHewitt

He Shoots He Scores!
Jan 18, 2014
Gondola

Ideally, I think he is a good 2nd line C. Some teams have multiple number 1's (Pens, Kings, Sharks). I'd say there can only be a select few spots for a #1 C. Is Bozak one of the top 30 C's in the league? You can certainly argue he is.

Apr 1, 2010
I like how people completely write him off as a #1C.

He is on a 70+ point pace this season (should he had played every game). If he can do that, he is easily a #1C. Heck, 60+ points with everything else he brings makes him a #1C

He is like Brendan Morrison on the NAslund + Bertuzzi line in Vancouver years back. He's serviceable as a #1C, because his linemates are so good. But there's no way he could be successful as a #1C if he had say, Hoglund and Renberg on his line like Sundin once did.

Milan90

Jul 8, 2009
Etobicoke, Ontario
Bozak has to play on the other lines to gauge the caliber of bozak. he has always played with Kessel (minus a few games).

Why does he have to play on other lines? His line has been absolute fire for years now. He doesn't have to do **** to appease the masses. We're winning and he's playing well. He doesn't have to prove anything.

ErnieLeafs

Apr 7, 2009
Why does he have to play on other lines? His line has been absolute fire for years now. He doesn't have to do **** to appease the masses. We're winning and he's playing well. He doesn't have to prove anything.

He wouldn't cut it on other lines. The exposure would kill him. He's a career minus on our highest scoring line. Can't imagine putting him in a defensive role.

Banic

Jun 23, 2010
Toronto
He is like Brendan Morrison on the NAslund + Bertuzzi line in Vancouver years back. He's serviceable as a #1C, because his linemates are so good. But there's no way he could be successful as a #1C if he had say, Hoglund and Renberg on his line like Sundin once did.

You listening to Leafs Lunch as well?

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Okay. Does Tyler stack up against any of the following:

Toews
Getzlaf
Kopitar
Thornton
Datsyuk
Zetterberg
Giroux
Stamkos
E. Staal
Tavares
Crosby
Malkin

No. He doesn't. Those are legitimate #1 C's. He doesn't belong on that list.

not everyone is enamoured with Bergeron, either. But I'll ask you this: Why is Bergeron headed to Sochi and Tyler isn't, if they're practically a mirror of one another?

Elite =/= #1C

Also, please tell me what Staal has brought that makes him better then Bozak this season? If you pace Bozak's points to the 45 games Eric Staal has played, Bozak would have 37-39 points, compared to Staal's 39.

Staal is -13, while Bozak would probably be around +5 (not that +/- means a whole lot). Bozak and Staal are about the same on faceoffs, and defensively (although you could argue Bozak is better).

The only thing you can dock Bozak for, is that this is a break out season for him. We have no idea if he will continue this next season and onwards. However that is no reason to write him off as a #1C. This season, Bozak is playing as a #1C. Not an Elite center, but a top line center none-the-less

As for Sochi, Bergeron has the experience, both on the international and NHL level. He is better defensively which sets him apart.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
He wouldn't cut it on other lines. The exposure would kill him. He's a career minus on our highest scoring line. Can't imagine putting him in a defensive role.

That line has always been out scores 5on5 year after year. They make it back on the PP. They are essentially a deficient ES top line. A true top line would end the season with its guys being +10 and up. They never do because they suck defensively.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad