World Cup: National Team threads #2

Pouchkine

May 20, 2015
Given the opportunity... If the guy is good enough and given the call up he will choose the best team, it's like this today for almost every player.

If Ziyech had been called up by Holland at 20-21 year old he would be playing for Holland today.

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
I wouldn't underestimate the draw of playing for your heritage country if you have a strong base in that community. You have the opportunity to be something of a hero for people which aside from the ego boost can actually do a lot for inspiring young people and improving the state of football in that country. Plus getting the bigshot treatment and maybe getting your extended family some cushy jobs. Which may come across as tongue-in-cheek, but helping out extended family is truly something of value that people take into account.

Pouchkine

May 20, 2015
I wouldn't underestimate the draw of playing for your heritage country if you have a strong base in that community. You have the opportunity to be something of a hero for people which aside from the ego boost can actually do a lot for inspiring young people and improving the state of football in that country. Plus getting the bigshot treatment and maybe getting your extended family some cushy jobs. Which may come across as tongue-in-cheek, but helping out extended family is truly something of value that people take into account.
It should be like this more often but it almost never happens.

Now if the guy isn't good enough and he finally goes for his country of heritage he will say those things for sure...

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
It should be like this more often but it almost never happens.

Now if the guy isn't good enough and he finally goes for his country of heritage he will say those things for sure...

I mean at the end of the day it's a tough decision even in a vacuum, and yet these are kids who have people all around them telling them "what's best for them" and what's "the right thing". Personally I think it's no place of any of ours to pick apart their decisions at all.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
I mean at the end of the day it's a tough decision even in a vacuum, and yet these are kids who have people all around them telling them "what's best for them" and what's "the right thing". Personally I think it's no place of any of ours to pick apart their decisions at all.
This is definitely a problem; everyone has an agenda and it's rare that young players get to make their own decision without being pulled in every direction which is understandably difficult.

Pouchkine

May 20, 2015
I'm just telling it like it is. They choose the biggest team 99% of the time.

If Ihattaren wants to play for Morocco then it's all good. I don't care anymore about this. 25-30 years ago they should have made rules but they didn't and now these days players pick their national team almost like a club team...

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Another solid round for la Albiceleste. 6-1 win over Ecuador who weren't playing their full 1st team but again Argentina are progressing under Scaloni. The real test will be this summer but there is a reason to be optimistic. Especially if he can properly integrate the young defenders at the back. The important take away this break was that Ajax refused Martinez to go to the U23. So, what he should do is send Balerdi there and call up Martinez to the first team. Another important takeaway was Kannerman's performance today this should put him ahead of Otamendi/Rojo. With Pezzella, Martinez, Kannerman and the Ajax Martinez that gives you 4 good options for next summer. It sucks for Lo Celso to be injured as this is the time to get back into the starting 11 but he will get his chance next month with the recall of Kun/Messi.

Reactions: Ajacied

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
Another solid round for la Albiceleste. 6-1 win over Ecuador who weren't playing their full 1st team but again Argentina are progressing under Scaloni. The real test will be this summer but there is a reason to be optimistic. Especially if he can properly integrate the young defenders at the back. The important take away this break was that Ajax refused Martinez to go to the U23. So, what he should do is send Balerdi there and call up Martinez to the first team. Another important takeaway was Kannerman's performance today this should put him ahead of Otamendi/Rojo. With Pezzella, Martinez, Kannerman and the Ajax Martinez that gives you 4 good options for next summer. It sucks for Lo Celso to be injured as this is the time to get back into the starting 11 but he will get his chance next month with the recall of Kun/Messi.
how do they score 6 but Lautaro gets 0, is his link up play integral to the team scoring?

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
how do they score 6 but Lautaro gets 0, is his link up play integral to the team scoring?
I didn't watch the first half and he got subbed at the break for a mini incident involving Paredes and a penalty. From past games he's very involved in the build up. Just needs to improve his passing and technical abilities, not sure he has it in him though.

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W

I don't know, Ozil chose Germany even though his heart seems to have been with Turkey all along. Footballing-wise, and financially, choosing Germany was likely the best choice he ever made, but personally he probably regrets it a bit now.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006

I was wrong Rojo is a cockroach that can’t die! Now Martinez isn’t called up for U23 or the senior team. Balerdi is dropped for Pérez. Scaloni almost got it right ... almost.

Ajacied

Stay strong Appie! ❤
Apr 6, 2002
Netherlands
Sweet, Ihattaren choses for a career in Oranje. Didn’t expect that the way the Moroccan federation were pushing and luring him. He’ll be called up now in no time. Stengs got the call up as well. Hopefully we see both starting during the EC next year.

Reactions: YNWA14

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Sweet, Ihattaren choses for a career in Oranje. Didn’t expect that the way the Moroccan federation were pushing and luring him. He’ll be called up now in no time. Stengs got the call up as well. Hopefully we see both starting during the EC next year.
Came to post this. Great move for him and of course great for the Netherlands.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
So Rojo was actually dropped from the Nt without explanation. I think they finally figured out he’s probably the worst CB to ever try to play footy. He should be playing for a Sunday league team.

no word on if a replacement will be called up. Cough Maldini cough

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
I usually don’t mind international breaks at all. Actually look forward to them. However, I have to say this year it has been annoying. It’s almost like footy is paused, I only get to watch Argentina this Friday that’s it. Then boredom for a week.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Interesting lineup by Argentina. Promising sadly they’re playing in THAT place. What’s worse is there next game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad