Confirmed with Link: Nathan Horton to Toronto for David Clarkson

cslebn

80 forever
Feb 15, 2012
Doesn't it seem, though, that JD and JK identify "their guys" and stick by their guys to a fault whereas they also move "not their guys" almost to a fault?

Gaborik was open to re-signing but he wasn't "their guy" so they dropped him for essentially nothing. Wiz wasn't their guy so they traded him away for a far less return than other defensemen got. Mackenzie wasn't really their guy so they let him walk over $500,000 AAV. Johansen didn't seem to be their guy so they drug out contract negotiations.

Meanwhile guys like Tropp and Boll inexplicably seem to have free reign. Also they seem to covet players from either European clubs they've worked with or from the St. Louis Blues organization while they were there.

That's fairly normal. Ever read Pen's fans ***** about Glass and etc getting playing time. Same with NYR, VAN, and every team in the league. Some are just more vocal than others (those guys spill into the T&R forum a lot); part of the problem is living here in CBJ Universe we only think about our own.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
To me this insurance squabble all comes down to one thing. If you can insure the entire term upfront they screwed up. If its a year by year thing then there is more justification for not insuring him the first year and 2nd year and beyond was just bad luck. Until we know that for sure I'll reserve my final judgement.

This is pretty much where I am, except I've gotten more indications that it's a year-by-year thing so I'm leaning more towards resigned acceptance, with the option for transcendent fury resolved in case it turns out that's not actually true. ;)

* * *​
That's fairly normal. Ever read Pen's fans ***** about Glass and etc getting playing time. Same with NYR, VAN, and every team in the league. Some are just more vocal than others (those guys spill into the T&R forum a lot); part of the problem is living here in CBJ Universe we only think about our own.

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU. You get a cookie.

320px-Choc-Chip-Cookie.jpg

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe

Hey! We won!
May 30, 2003
I don't want to beat a dead horse here, but even with the additional explanation that makes the situation maybe, slightly, possibly, ever so more understandable, I still don't understand it.

Bottom line: Highest paid player, longest contract, injury history. If that doesn't make a guy one of your 5-7 insured players (or however the system works) even with an uninsurable existing shoulder injury, then I don't know what does.

Clarkson is a tough, tough, tough pill to swallow for that level of nickle-and-diming.

If you looked at the roster and asked yourself, which of these players would be the most likely to have a career ending injury (since that is largely what this insurance is FOR, I think that's a valid question), I'd wager most of us would put Horton at the top of that list and certainly in the top 5.

Last edited:

Doggy

Oct 11, 2011
Sorry if this was discussed earlier but I am not weeding through 26 pages to find out.

Clarkson and Horton have near identical money and term left on their deals. The biggest difference is that over the last five years Clarkson is owed more real money: $27.5 Million vs $26.1 Million.

So my question is this...if Toronto could bury Horton on LTIR to save the cap space despite still owing the cash, why couldn't they bury Clarkson in the AHL? Either way I think they get the cap space back and gain the roster spot. I get why the CBJ did it but other than the $1.4 Million savings over five years I don't see Toronto's motivation...why not squeeze the CBJ for just a little more (you know they were desperate to get anything tangible back)..even a mid round draft pick or something?

Samkow

Now do Classical Gas
Jul 4, 2002
Detroit
You can't really bury cap hits anymore

6) For any Player on a One-Way NHL SPC who is Loaned to a club in another professional league, the Averaged Amount of such SPC less the sum of the Minimum Paragraph 1 NHL Salary and $375,000 for that League Year (e.g., $900,000 in 2012-13) for the period during which such Player is Loaned to such professional league; plus

2014-15 – U.S. $550,000 2015-16 – U.S. $575,000 2016-17 – U.S. $575,000 2017-18 – U.S. $650,000 2018-19 – U.S. $650,000
2019-20 – U.S. $700,000

So if they had buried Clarkson for the entirety of next season, he'd still have a cap hit of 3.8 Mil (4.75-.95)

So they'd only get like a million dollars of cap relief by burying him.

Last edited:

Doggy

Oct 11, 2011
Thanks...that helps make sense. In that case...Leafs are getting off easy and we saved them ton of cap relief, Jarmo should have made them retain 10% - 15% :)

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
The FO is insistent of "using its CBA leverage" with Johansen and then opens the vault for an RFA of Cam Atkinson's caliber.

No insurance, Wiz trade and this. Wow. Doug Maclean on acid couldn't out do this FO.

They bought two years of UFA value with Cam and the 3rd year at $4.5M is much less than that of Johansen at $6M which will impact his next contract. Joey is starting from $6M to simply get qualified. These have no connection whatsoever in my opinion.

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
Doesn't it seem, though, that JD and JK identify "their guys" and stick by their guys to a fault whereas they also move "not their guys" almost to a fault?

Gaborik was open to re-signing but he wasn't "their guy" so they dropped him for essentially nothing. Wiz wasn't their guy so they traded him away for a far less return than other defensemen got. Mackenzie wasn't really their guy so they let him walk over $500,000 AAV. Johansen didn't seem to be their guy so they drug out contract negotiations.

Meanwhile guys like Tropp and Boll inexplicably seem to have free reign. Also they seem to covet players from either European clubs they've worked with or from the St. Louis Blues organization while they were there.

Come on let's think about this a little. He wasn't "their" guy yet "they" traded assets for him? Didn't want to re-sign him because he wasn't "their" guy? I don't buy into the my guy, your guy thing in this case. Gaborik was coming off a few injuries and they had a very short period to determine if he was part of the long term plan. I'm not going to argue the return in the trade but was disappointed like most others.

As for the other points, MacKenzie was term, not salary. Johansen was a CBA case for a bridge deal. I agree on the Boll deal but I have no issue with Tropp. He can easily be buried at minimal financial burden.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
They bought two years of UFA value with Cam and the 3rd year at $4.5M is much less than that of Johansen at $6M which will impact his next contract. Joey is starting from $6M to simply get qualified. These have no connection whatsoever in my opinion.

In the whirl of activity of the past few days, I missed that they were buying 2 years of UFA. I had originally thought it was only one year. The comparison would not be valid.

Still an overpayment, imo. Not egregious....especially for this FO:laugh:

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
You can't really bury cap hits anymore

So if they had buried Clarkson for the entirety of next season, he'd still have a cap hit of 3.8 Mil (4.75-.95)

So they'd only get like a million dollars of cap relief by burying him.

Even this is contingent upon Clarkson allowing it. He has a NMC which precludes even being sent down to the AHL according to this:

A more nuclear option could see the Leafs simply stop playing Clarkson, just as they did with Mike Komisarek in 2012-13, in hopes that he might waive a no-movement clause to be sent to the AHL. But even that would only get them a $925,000 savings on the cap.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/david-clarkson-contract-toronto-maple-leafs/

SuperGenius

For Duty & Humanity!
Mar 18, 2008
If your standard is us "not being in the room," then that's going to wipe out a lot of discussion around these parts. :)

Discussion is one thing, but some posters were going way overboard in their criticism of the front office as if they had the facts. Theorizing, discussing and so forth is why we're all here, but when someone continues to berate the team for doing something it didn't necessarily do, or over-simplify the situation to take cheap shots, I kinda have an issue with it (to say the least).

Jovavic

Gaslight Object Project
Oct 13, 2002
New Born Citizen Erased
I bet Clarkson isn't here for the all of his contract. He'll be unprotected in an upcoming expansion draft and the new team will have to take him to get to the salary floor.

KeithBWhittington

Going North
Jun 14, 2003
Brick by Brick
Visit site
Best case scenario is Horton recovering and becoming a contributing member of the TML

Rimer was on the FAN on deadline day, (or Tuesday, can't remember) and he said that Horton had no plans to retire. Given by what we have seen certain media members print this season that's been debunked, I'm not ready to throw the towel in on Horton's career yet. Regardless of whatever outcome, the CBJ (through their own faults) couldnt afford to have sit in stands anymore, even if he somehow manages to be ready to go at some point next season

1857 Howitzer

******* Linesman
Aug 27, 2007
Ohio
Rimer was on the FAN on deadline day, (or Tuesday, can't remember) and he said that Horton had no plans to retire. Given by what we have seen certain media members print this season that's been debunked, I'm not ready to throw the towel in on Horton's career yet. Regardless of whatever outcome, the CBJ (through their own faults) couldnt afford to have sit in stands anymore, even if he somehow manages to be ready to go at some point next season

Not saying there's no chance he will not come back, but the main reason he is not going to retire is because if he does he does not get paid.

Doug19

Oct 14, 2008
Columbus, OH
Stupid question maybe, but did Clarkson NMC get to stand after being traded? Does that become voided if the new club doesn't accept that condition?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad