Confirmed with Link: Nathan Horton to Toronto for David Clarkson

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
Aren't we paying Horton more than 4.5 mill, to be injured and never play ? Instead we get a guy that can produce . May just need change of scenery . And Toronto can afford spend over cap now

Sinkkunaattori

Go Waffles Go
Aug 5, 2011
As ecstatic as I am being a Leafs fan getting rid of Wendel Clark'son but I can't for the life of me fathom what is Jarmo doing, didn't anyone tell him Davey's contract is still on for 5 more years and as of right now he isn't even a decent 4th liner?

This article might be too long to read and some of it going too overboard but the title alone is just gold and really tells the whole story (David Clarkson is a Balrog [he cannot pass]) http://www.pensionplanpuppets.com/2015/1/22/7867635/david-clarkson-is-a-balrog-he-cannot-pass

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
He's got 20 goals in him, just needs some solid PP time.

He's not as bad as Leafs fans say, just horribly overpaid. Very good in front of the net and can tip shots well.

Bad skater and tries to do too much with the puck...but that may change with less pressure in Columbus.

He'll get minutes here. We are weak at RW. The locker room isn't toxic around here and I'm sure he'll feel comfortable quickly. No reason he can't outperform his time in Toronto by a mile.

Wheels

Aug 22, 2004
Aren't we paying Horton more than 4.5 mill, to be injured and never play ? Instead we get a guy that can produce . May just need change of scenery . And Toronto can afford spend over cap now

"Can produce" - had 26 points in 118 games with Toronto playing 2nd/3rd line minutes.

thebus2288*

I'm not sure if I should be happy or upset about this to be honest. Its just pretty crazy how the Horton signing(arguably biggest FA signing that year) turned into **** pretty much. I'd say it could turn into another Umberger/Hartnell situation but Clarkson isn't as good of a player as Hartnell. He isn't as bad as Umberger though so that's a "plus".

Interested to see on a nightly basis how much Clarkson has lost. Was actually a huge fan when he was with NJ.

alphafox

Jun 14, 2011
Here is the reason for the deal:

Then, this season, #CBJ could not get insurance on Horton because of his back injury. Horton's contract was NOT insured. Per Portzline

This is strictly a financial move. In real world money they owed Horton for the rest of his contract, at least this way they get a player in return. This is essentially Toronto buying their way out of cap problems and us getting a player for the money rather than just paying Horton to "retire".

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005

Then, this season, #CBJ could not get insurance on Horton because of his back injury. Horton's contract was NOT insured. Per Portzline

Holy hell, why wasn't that contract insured?

Tyrolean

Feb 1, 2004

This is strictly a financial move. In real world money they owed Horton for the rest of his contract, at least this way they get a player in return. This is essentially Toronto buying their way out of cap problems and us getting a player for the money rather than just paying Horton to "retire".

NHL should close this loophole so you can't trade for a guyt on LTIR.

Purity*

Jan 29, 2010
Leafs fan giving fair warning

Clarkson is one of the biggest potatoes on ice you will ever see.

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
"Can produce" - had 26 points in 118 games with Toronto playing 2nd/3rd line minutes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTFMAN99 View Post
Bob McKenzie ‏@TSNBobMcKenzie · 33s34 seconds ago
Here's bottom line on Clarkson-Horton trade: Horton's contract wasn't insured. CBJ paying him to sit in stands and he's longshot to play.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Aaron Portzline ‏@Aportzline 8s9 seconds ago

Kekalainen on Horton: "We would have been paying him $26 million the next five years to sit in the stands."

In case you were wondering if he would ever play agan, here's your answer. Nope

AustonMitchWilly

Jul 3, 2013
He is one of the best people in the industry. I hope he does well for you. He does massive amounts of charity work and is a quality guy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad