Confirmed with Link: Nate Schmidt signs for 6 years 5.95 AAV

VegasKnightlife

Aug 20, 2017
Mixed feelings. Nate was great last year, but that's a lot of years. Hopefully he continues to play like a number one defenseman.

BattleBorn

50% to winning as many division titles as Toronto
Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
I don't see this any any riskier than Tuch.

Could be an overpayment a few years for now, or it could be a massive steal. Same thing as most of our extensions so far.

Reactions: VegasKnightlife

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
I don't see this any any riskier than Tuch.

Could be an overpayment a few years for now, or it could be a massive steal. Same thing as most of our extensions so far.

Well nearly 6 m a year on a guy who's only really proven he's worth that in one year. I'm glad that Nate is gonna be a long time Knight but this is a really pricey deal. These contracts are gonna start adding up and if the guys don't play to what they're worth, it's gonna make signing new players real tough.

Reactions: derriko

BattleBorn

Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
Well nearly 6 m a year on a guy who's only really proven he's worth that in one year. I'm glad that Nate is gonna be a long time Knight but this is a really pricey deal. These contracts are gonna start adding up and if the guys don't play to what they're worth, it's gonna make signing new players real tough.
You can say that about half the team.

I'm willing to trust the process that got them all here to know which ones should stay and for how long. As I've said a few times in the past year plus, I'd got no clue what players are worth anymore after watching last season and the results of that expansion draft.

Let's just enjoy and hope the cap keeps going up.

Reactions: Nevada Jones

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
You can say that about half the team.

I'm willing to trust the process that got them all here to know which ones should stay and for how long. As I've said a few times in the past year plus, I'd got no clue what players are worth anymore after watching last season and the results of that expansion draft.

Let's just enjoy and hope the cap keeps going up.
I tend to think a little long term. Granted, my instincts are based around watching a team that was stingy even in the days of Disney ownership. But I don't think your perspective is necessarily as balanced either as the Hawks had a period of cap hell and still found their way around it and won another championship. I just think this is a dangerous precedent. Wild Bill is still just on a show me deal. Cody Glass will eventually need a post ELC contract and may cost a fair bit if he meets his potential. Brannstrom the same if he makes it soon, will be under renegotiation while this and the Theodore contracts are still active. The more this becomes the status quo, the harder it will be to make any signings and keep the entire core intact. It just feels to me like McPhee is a bit impulsive.

The Duck Knight

Henry, you're our only hope!
Feb 6, 2012
This contract doesn't worry me one bit to be honest. The Tuch and to a larger extent Theo contracts do though. Schmidt was going to be a UFA top pair dman. I think he actually took less than he would have gotten next summer on the open market.

BattleBorn

Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
I tend to think a little long term. Granted, my instincts are based around watching a team that was stingy even in the days of Disney ownership. But I don't think your perspective is necessarily as balanced either as the Hawks had a period of cap hell and still found their way around it and won another championship. I just think this is a dangerous precedent. Wild Bill is still just on a show me deal. Cody Glass will eventually need a post ELC contract and may cost a fair bit if he meets his potential. Brannstrom the same if he makes it soon, will be under renegotiation while this and the Theodore contracts are still active. The more this becomes the status quo, the harder it will be to make any signings and keep the entire core intact. It just feels to me like McPhee is a bit impulsive.
The window is apparently open and we've got an owner that is happy to spend to the cap. It's not something to be afraid of.

Plus, cap hell isn't near Chicago levels and even if Schmidt isn't great, his albatross deal is still a million short of Seabrook's, and only a season longer today. :laugh:

We've still got $7 million in space for next season, Clarkson isn't real and he falls off after next season. Plus, we've got Eakin, Haula, and Reaves coming up and they're not likely to get much if they get signed at all, IMO. Hell, according to CapFriendly, we'll have $26MM in space for 20-21 if the cap remains the same and a Glass, a Hague, and some other prospects that will wind up ELCing it to replace the guys we have now.

I'm not super worried.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
The window is apparently open and we've got an owner that is happy to spend to the cap. It's not something to be afraid of.

Plus, cap hell isn't near Chicago levels and even if Schmidt isn't great, his albatross deal is still a million short of Seabrook's, and only a season longer today. :laugh:

We've still got $7 million in space for next season, Clarkson isn't real and he falls off after next season. Plus, we've got Eakin, Haula, and Reaves coming up and they're not likely to get much if they get signed at all, IMO. Hell, according to CapFriendly, we'll have $26MM in space for 20-21 if the cap remains the same and a Glass, a Hague, and some other prospects that will wind up ELCing it to replace the guys we have now.

I'm not super worried.
I'm not super worried either, I just think it sets a weird precedent for status quo behavior of the guy in charge. I've already felt this way in regards to both Tatar trades.

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
I love it.

That'll be second pairing money five years from now.

Now as soon as this suspension ends, our #1 defenseman can help make this team a playoff contender again! :)

Pirate Deadpool

Mar 3, 2011
Las Vegas, NV

I'm not super worried.

2020 and beyond doesn't look bad at the moment. What looks bad is 2019-2020 as there are too many deals that expire at the end of the season and most of them are players that are contributors and should be brought back. Some good players and fan favorites will not be offered contracts because the money just won't be there.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
Hrm. I'm torn. I love Schmitty. I'm one of his biggest fans and as far as I'm concerned, he's probably the most underrated player in the league. But he went and got himself suspended for almost a quarter of the season. How does that get you almost 6mx6??

Worst case scenario he can be traded to 20 teams (21 with Seattle) and his actual salary goes down. I'm not a fan of this deal in principle.

Reactions: lakai17

GKG18

Expansion Fan
Jun 25, 2016
Hendertucky
It's not my job to balance out needs vs value and I think GMGM knows what he is doing in this regard, but damn. This is three straight deals where he seemingly overpaid to lock guys up long term. I like the guys he's signing, and will be happy to watch them develop further, but the skeptic in me sees the problems down the road when other contracts come up and they point at these and say "he got 6 years! I want 6". Well, their agents will, anyway.
As a side note, in watching GMGM speak post game last night-
Reporter X: "Legit question question blah blah"
GMGM: "three or four sentence answer, blah blah"
SinBin reporter: "Did the suspension have any impact on the negotiations?"
GMGM: "No."
Jesus.

BattleBorn

Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
2020 and beyond doesn't look bad at the moment. What looks bad is 2019-2020 as there are too many deals that expire at the end of the season and most of them are players that are contributors and should be brought back. Some good players and fan favorites will not be offered contracts because the money just won't be there.
The only one I’m really worried about is Bellemare, and I doubt he’s getting much.

Lindberg is Lindberg, Carpenter is someone I love, but not someone I’m super scared will leave a hole if he moves on. Plus, Glass should be ready. Engelland is probably retiring, and if he’s not you can always go single years. Don’t think Bischoff and Hunt are major losses since you can’t keep Hague and Brannstrom off the team too much longer.

I think they’re managing the cap well when our potentially “overpaid” players are making sub-$6MM. It’s only really an issue if two or more of them suck.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
The only one I’m really worried about is Bellemare, and I doubt he’s getting much.

Lindberg is Lindberg, Carpenter is someone I love, but not someone I’m super scared will leave a hole if he moves on. Plus, Glass should be ready. Engelland is probably retiring, and if he’s not you can always go single years. Don’t think Bischoff and Hunt are major losses since you can’t keep Hague and Brannstrom off the team too much longer.

I think they’re managing the cap well when our potentially “overpaid” players are making sub-$6MM. It’s only really an issue if two or more of them suck.

Just offer a 1.5m deal to Eakin and Bellemare this summer, hopefully one of them takes it to be the 4th line C. They can't afford to lose all 3 of Haula/Bellemare/Eakin.

Failing that, I'm sure one of Duke or Quinney would do well in that role.

Maybe trade Subban + Clarkson's contract at the draft for a small something.

Last edited:

Pirate Deadpool

Mar 3, 2011
Las Vegas, NV

I was thinking about where they will find the money to pay PEB, Wild Bill, and Nosek (I'm still hoping he has a good season). Subban should be kept unless they feel that one of the other goalies has starting potential and while I'm not a fan of Engellend, I think he wants to keep playing at home and most fans want him back as well. If Karlsson scores at least 30 goals this season, then that's another guy that should be making $6M aav and the team has just barely above that to spend. Unless someone gets traded who is making 2 to 3 mil, I think we'll lose 2 to 3 players. GMGM overpaying Reaves, Holden, and Fleury shouldn't have been done. Reaves and Fleury I think would have taken less each and there was just as good as Holden for less. I don't like having to count on rookies making the team next season to get it under the cap.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad