Nasty Spear by Hedman

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZeroPucksGiven

Feb 28, 2017
More like I watched the game, I know when this happened, and I know that this stuff was going on all over the ice from guys on both sides at that point. It turned into that kind of a game, unfortunately.

I watched the game just fine
But since everyone else was running into each other its fine and dandy for a member of your favorite team to do some dirtball things?

Sounds like a child's defense : "but Johnny started it !!"

Just own it. People will have a lot more respect for you if you admit what is clearly on tape., instead of being willfully ignorant and stomp on your perceived moral high ground...

Bolt 45

Oct 19, 2015
I watched the game just fine
But since everyone else was running into each other its fine and dandy for a member of your favorite team to do some dirtball things?

Sounds like a child's defense : "but Johnny started it !!"

Just own it. People will have a lot more respect for you if you admit what is clearly on tape., instead of being willfully ignorant and stomp on your perceived moral high ground...
Right on.

Bolt 45

Oct 19, 2015
It was a sneaky spear during a stoppage.

It was dirty and deserves a game. Nothing else was going on during said stoppage.
The problem is that the stoppage prior to this was kind of a big one that everybody on both teams was still pissed about. Not to mention, it was probably embelishment, too. Let's not pretend like there wasn't some of that going on tonight. Are you guys seriously not able to enjoy your first playoff win in years?

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
The problem is that the stoppage prior to this was kind of a big one that everybody on both teams was still pissed about. Not to mention, it was probably embelishment, too. Let's not pretend like there wasn't some of that going on tonight. Are you guys seriously not able to enjoy your first playoff win in years?

It has nothing to do with enjoying a win or not.

You can’t do that. It is a dirty play, deserves to be called out and looked at by the league.

You won’t efen look at the play!

MtoD

Feb 4, 2018
Why do I get the feeling that either (a) you're a Jersey fan, or (b) you didn't watch the game?

Let me guess, you're a Tampa fan who, despite obvious evidence of a player doing something dirty, defends said player by actually closing your eyes and pretending nothing happened.

I did laugh about you questioning whether I watched the game when you just posted that you wouldn't watch the play in question. Not hypocritical at all.

This was dirty by Hedman. End of story.

MtoD

Feb 4, 2018
Dirty af but that’s not a spear. Why is contact with stones automatically called spearing all the time?

It could be because it's a spear per the NHL rulebook.

Rule 62 – Spearing
62.1 Spearing - Spearing shall mean stabbing an opponent with the point of the stick blade, whether contact is made or not.

Certainly looks like the point of the stick blade is what made contact with Hischier's jewels. The rule goes on to say making contact with a spear is an automatic 5 minute major + game misconduct so it was a horribly missed call. I don't expect Hedman to be suspended but almost certainly fined.

Bolt 45

Oct 19, 2015
It has nothing to do with enjoying a win or not.

You can’t do that. It is a dirty play, deserves to be called out and looked at by the league.

You won’t efen look at the play!
Guys on both sides were heated. That matters. Plenty of guys lost their composure.

MtoD

Feb 4, 2018
Guys on both sides were heated. That matters. Plenty of guys lost their composure.

Yet only one guy speared another player in the jewels.

Interesting.. it's a dirty f***ing play and you defending it in any fashion is f***ing hysterical.

KareemTrustfund

Domiking Simon
Jun 19, 2012
If it isn't a penalty in women's hockey, it's not a penalty in men's hockey. The rules need to be the same.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
A little cup check is now a "nasty spear"? Thats a penalty sure, but not a suspension. Draisaitl did the same in the playoffs last year with a lot more force and only got a fine. Its a dick move, but this is not even close to suspension worthy.

Reactions: Bolt 45

Mass

Feb 18, 2013
Baltimore, MD
It could be because it's a spear per the NHL rulebook.

Certainly looks like the point of the stick blade is what made contact with Hischier's jewels. The rule goes on to say making contact with a spear is an automatic 5 minute major + game misconduct so it was a horribly missed call. I don't expect Hedman to be suspended but almost certainly fined.

Is that really a “stabbing” motion from Hedman? The motion I at least think of for “Stabbing” is a much more forward thrusting motion.

If the nhl has ruled differently in the past I guess there’s precedent, but calling that a spearing motion seems off, to me at least.

MtoD

Feb 4, 2018
Is that really a “stabbing” motion from Hedman? The motion I at least think of for “Stabbing” is a much more forward thrusting motion.

If the nhl has ruled differently in the past I guess there’s precedent, but calling that a spearing motion seems off, to me at least.

It's spearing.

Here's the first example I thought of:
Leon Draisaitl of Oilers fined for spearing

Video:

Similar motion to this one. Announced as a hearing/fine for spearing.

NHL Player Safety on Twitter

Another from Marchand:

And the DoPS considering it spearing:

Community

44 is Rielly good
Oct 30, 2010
The Darkest Timeline
I think the fact that it was a slashing motion might help make the case for it to be a fine instead of a suspension.

Yes it was a spear, but because it looks like an attempted slash i think he just gets a warning.

Bolt 45

Oct 19, 2015
Let me guess, you're a Tampa fan who, despite obvious evidence of a player doing something dirty, defends said player by actually closing your eyes and pretending nothing happened.

I did laugh about you questioning whether I watched the game when you just posted that you wouldn't watch the play in question. Not hypocritical at all.

This was dirty by Hedman. End of story.
Yes, I'm a Tampa fan. No to all the other stuff. Not only did I watch the game, but I've been watching Hedman for years. I know what kind of a player he is, so I'm really not worried about you or anyone using one play in a chippy game to paint him as dirty player. It's simply absurd. At best he lost his composure at a point in time when plenty of other guys were doing the same. Not really sure how many times you want me to say the same thing.

MtoD

Feb 4, 2018
Yes, I'm a Tampa fan. No to all the other stuff. Not only did I watch the game, but I've been watching Hedman for years. I know what kind of a player he is, so I'm really not worried about you or anyone using one play in a chippy game to paint him as dirty player. It's simply absurd. At best he lost his composure at a point in time when plenty of other guys were doing the same. Not really sure how many times you want me to say the same thing.

When did I say he was a dirty player?

He made a dirty as f*** play. That's all I've wrote. You can't even fathom that's possible and went as far to say there was embellishment. f***ing hysterical.

One dirty play does not make a player dirty but you better believe it still makes the play dirty.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad