GDT: Nashville vs CBJ | March 19 7pm ET | Meme Madness!

NotWendell

Has also never won the lottery.
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
XGMSH deserves some. Todd Richards and the coaching staff deserve some. Vinny Prospal, Jack Johnson and all those that have assumed leadership roles deserve some. The entire team deserves some for buying in and putting it out there. The fans for hanging in deserve some. JD deserves some for breathing fresh air into the organization. John P. McConnell deserves some for hiring JD.

Did I miss anybody?

And XGMDM deserves NONE.

SuperGenius

For Duty & Humanity!
Mar 18, 2008
XGMSH deserves some. Todd Richards and the coaching staff deserve some. Vinny Prospal, Jack Johnson and all those that have assumed leadership roles deserve some. The entire team deserves some for buying in and putting it out there. The fans for hanging in deserve some. JD deserves some for breathing fresh air into the organization. John P. McConnell deserves some for hiring JD.

Did I miss anybody?

CBJ_frontmock.jpg

Robert

Foligno family
Mar 9, 2006
Louisville, KY
Really??? you'd like to turn the clock back and un-do the tenure of the guy who got the Arena lease deal signed?

I wasn't thinking about that impact, but that deal probably doesn't happen without Priest... He gets a lot of credit for doing so..

NotWendell

Has also never won the lottery.
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
Rick Nash has 0 goals and 0 assists for the Blue Jackets this season. He, nor the guy who drafted him, gets any credit in my book for this squad's success.

Zarathustra

This is not my hat.
Nov 21, 2007
Salzburg
Anisimov says hi.... ;)

Despite all that, I think the argument could be made that the failed attempts to build around Rick Nash attributed partially to our horrible play.

Plus DM did a lot other things poorly: see the handling of Federov, Whitney, etc. He ran more great players off the team than he brought in.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
It appears that "whenever possible" means every day and in every thread. I liked Howson, but I also liked Doug and Hitch. They all contributed to the good and (mostly) bad of CBJ history. All three are gone, as will be, one day, their successors. What possible use can there be in you popping up in every thread, all over the board, to defend the former GM whenever his name is mentioned? Are you really only able to enjoy the recent run of success if it can be attributed to Howson, alone? If, one day, Howson is recognized as having played a part in building a CBJ Cup winner, we can all become teary-eyed and nostalgic over our chosen libations. I'll even buy your first round!

But pete...

Attachments

• qmeme_1363871571941_281.jpg
    qmeme_1363871571941_281.jpg
    157.2 KB · Views: 2

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
True but as I said before Howson's knack was for finding guys who weren't expected or supposed to play that well but ultimately did (for a while). Guys like Letestu and Nikitin. So I'm saying I don't think he necessarily set us up for success. Instead he set us up for mediocrity but we are finding success somehow.

It's like the Phoenix Coyotes last season. Look at their roster. Their GM didn't set them up for success by acquiring guys like Smith and the ex-Jackets (aside from Whitney), but they managed to find it due to Tippett's coaching and some luck.

I recognize folks have largely moved on from Yet Another Howson Debate and I don't want to rekindle it (for once ;) ), but I really wanted to point out that this loser GM that didn't set the Coyotes up for success and only made it through dumb luck and Dave Tippett is Don Maloney - the inaugural General Manager Of The Year award winner.

I'm not sayin' anythin', I'm just sayin'.

Dr. Fire

What, me worry?
Jun 29, 2007
Jacketstown, Ohio
Quite honestly, I really don't give Howson any credit. He put together a team that every hockey expert in North America had finishing 30th out of 30 teams.

No one saw this hot streak coming, and I don't attribute it to XGMSH. I give the credit to the people running the team now. I mean really, our prospects are playing OK, but none have really blossomed yet. Maybe Cam's ankle slowed him down, but other than him, the others are playing well, but still have something to prove.

I mean, come on, Howson did not do everything wrong, but he had six years to build a winner, and failed miserably. I am just done with him, and done talking about him.

Samkow

Now do Classical Gas
Jul 4, 2002
Detroit
Quite honestly, I really don't give Howson any credit. He put together a team that every hockey expert in North America had finishing 30th out of 30 teams.

No one saw this hot streak coming, and I don't attribute it to XGMSH. I give the credit to the people running the team now. I mean really, our prospects are playing OK, but none have really blossomed yet. Maybe Cam's ankle slowed him down, but other than him, the others are playing well, but still have something to prove.

I mean, come on, Howson did not do everything wrong, but he had six years to build a winner, and failed miserably. I am just done with him, and done talking about him.

So he doesn't get any credit for this season simply because a bunch of people picked us to pick 30th? Makes perfect sense :sarcasm:

Dr. Fire

What, me worry?
Jun 29, 2007
Jacketstown, Ohio
So he doesn't get any credit for this season simply because a bunch of people picked us to pick 30th? Makes perfect sense :sarcasm:

I understand that, and I understand that the so called experts can be woefully wrong, but still, most of us on this board never saw this hot streak coming either.

Honestly, Howson had six years, count em, six to build a winner, and I really want someone (Mayor) to convince me what a great job he did. If he had been so great, would you not think that after six years we would be icing a play-off caliber team?

I mean look at Toronto. Burke got canned, and that team is a legitimate play-off contender. So was that not worse than Howson being canned?

Anyway, there is still a ways to go. I want this team to make a run at this, and I will withhold final judgement on this team till April 27th. I thought Howson needed to go for a lot of reasons, and I still think that he needed to go.

I have always said that Howson did some things right, but sadly he did not do enough right.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
I understand that, and I understand that the so called experts can be woefully wrong, but still, most of us on this board never saw this hot streak coming either.

Honestly, Howson had six years, count em, six to build a winner, and I really want someone (Mayor) to convince me what a great job he did. If he had been so great, would you not think that after six years we would be icing a play-off caliber team?

I mean look at Toronto. Burke got canned, and that team is a legitimate play-off contender. So was that not worse than Howson being canned?

Anyway, there is still a ways to go. I want this team to make a run at this, and I will withhold final judgement on this team till April 27th. I thought Howson needed to go for a lot of reasons, and I still think that he needed to go.

I have always said that Howson did some things right, but sadly he did not do enough right.

I'm not going to get into a discussion of the firing, or claim that he was a great GM, but when you say he doesn't deserve any credit, yeah I'll quibble with that.

Howson took a poor team and added value through years of successful drafting and trading. Do a full analysis of his draft choices compared to the surrounding picks and you'll conclude that he is at least average in that department, if not better. I like most of his trades as well.

Of course, if you are going to do a full retrospective, you have to look at the fact that the team was bad for a few years. But to answer you most simply, he deserves credit for the way he composed this year's team: the Nash trade, the second Carter trade, the Bobrovsky trade, the Foligno trade, etc.. I really like this team, and he is the one who built it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad