Nashville Predators talk - The offseason.

Enoch

This is my boomstick
Jul 2, 2003
Cookeville TN
His interview post game was one of the best interviews I’ve ever heard in that scenario. It oozed leadership, sacrificing for the team, and buying into the system.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
I bought into the idea that it was necessary as a culture move and it was necessary to reestablish the identity of this team and open up a top six spot for some players even if it hurt us on ice in the short term. Given how the young guys on Dallas have played it certainly contradicts the idea we needed to do it to instill a winning culture, and then we decided to fill that second line winger slot with Jankowski for the latter half of the season. I wonder how Trotz views that decision with hindsight.
I bought into it because I thought Trotz had seen enough to know he was a problem AND we were going in a different direction and he wanted to get some of the young guys on the ice with the Vets he was bringing in.

Anyway you want to look at it, it makes Trotz look like he was wrong. Can't really deny the team would have been better with Duchene playing.

Reactions: weeze

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
I bought into it because I thought Trotz had seen enough to know he was a problem AND we were going in a different direction and he wanted to get some of the young guys on the ice with the Vets he was bringing in.

Anyway you want to look at it, it makes Trotz look like he was wrong. Can't really deny the team would have been better with Duchene playing.
Still going to let it play out a couple more seasons and see where Trotz takes us before I lean too hard one way or the other. I don't think Trotz saw us being a playoff team this season and it shifted his priorities a bit. I'm interested to see what the moves are this off-season. Duchene is also highly motivated (and actually a chance at the Cup) and also playing for his last contract.

Softball99

Dec 16, 2014
As much as folks hate him, Hynes and being left up for grabs to Seattle changed his drive, He saw his game improve significantly when he played the way Hynes wanted. ROR should've had a sit down w/ him and see if his opinion changed. Honestly...probably would be good in this system. This is on Trotz for not trying to see if he could mend fences or ROR for putting Trotz in ana untennable postion.

Kat Predator

Nov 28, 2019
His interview post game was one of the best interviews I’ve ever heard in that scenario. It oozed leadership, sacrificing for the team, and buying into the system.
This.

The move to get rid of Duchene isn't looking very inspired. He's been a great addition to the Stars and provides them depth scoring, versatility, and a veteran presence in their middle 6. All while the Predators will continue to pay him now and into the future.

I get that he was about to get a NTC/NMC, was arguably overpaid and not the best fit for the Hynes system, but he did reinvent his game and accepted being bounced around in the blender like a team player. His injury that ended his last season as a Pred doesn't really seem to have hugely impacted him. I suspect that Trotz telegraphed that he wanted Duchene gone a little too strongly in the offseason which led to DeBoer and others just waiting it out. Many teams started calling Duchene's agent the minute he hit the waiver wire, so it wasn't like he was seen as useless.

As for Johansen, Colorado was willing to roll the dice on him and his injury. So he still had positive value despite the sliced ankle. They took a chance and it didn't work. Like the Ryan Ellis trade, Ryan Johansen, as it turned out, wasn't able to come all the way back. If he had been able to come back to 90% or whatever, this series easily could've gone in the opposite direction.

beardawg

Feb 12, 2015
Washington, DC
Idk, it's easy to look at Duchene's current play and be bitter about it...but I can almost guarantee he is not that player today if he doesn't get cut from Nashville and essentially humiliated by the incoming general manager for going to Nashville to "retire."

Statistically, he didn't have a bad season in 22/23, but his attitude is completely different now. He has a chip on his shoulder that wouldn't have happened if Trotz didn't break his heart tbh. It would've just been more of the same, and probably wouldn't have gotten ROR

Kat Predator

Nov 28, 2019
Idk, it's easy to look at Duchene's current play and be bitter about it...but I can almost guarantee he is not that player today if he doesn't get cut from Nashville and essentially humiliated by the incoming general manager for going to Nashville to "retire."

Statistically, he didn't have a bad season in 22/23, but his attitude is completely different now. He has a chip on his shoulder that wouldn't have happened if Trotz didn't break his heart tbh. It would've just been more of the same, and probably wouldn't have gotten ROR
BTW, O' O' O'Reilly is on record as saying he and Duchene are fine and buried the hatchet.

Part of leadership is understanding there are plenty of people in the world you won't see eye-to-eye with at all times. Take any two people and they will disagree about something at some point. Leadership is overcoming all that to get the mission accomplished. 🤷‍♂️

glenngineer

Jan 27, 2010
Franklin, TN
Still don't understand why we let Duchene go. Even if we had two more of the kids in the lineup for the bulk of the season, there was still room for him. We lacked secondary scoring which he could've provided. Put him with Novak and Evangelista and he's a much better option than Jankowski.

To say we couldn't have signed ROR and kept Duchene, the dollars would've worked out fine. Even if there was concern, don't sign Schenn in that scenario.

We're going to save $5 million to have a 50-60 point player play somewhere else. We would've been better off riding out his contract and see where it led.

We lacked speed and talent, both of which Duchene has. Instead, we iced 4 tweener talents and while their hustle and moxie was fun to watch, they were non-existent in the playoffs and the rest of the team doesn't have enough talent up front to make up for their deficiencies.

If we had played more of the youth this year I probably wouldn't have cared all that much. Was the season fun, sure was. However, once the playoffs were on the table, the expectations changed. Unfortunately, the kids didn't get the experience they needed and we got bounced again in the first round and we did it by sh*tt*ng the bed multiple times, which is unacceptable if you're building a team full of character.

I can only hope Trotz and Brunette grow as a team. I can only hope they put the best possible players on the ice for us next year, regardless if they are young and haven't cooked enough according to them in Milwaukee. We also can't be afraid to let late 20's players go thru waivers and accept that they may get claimed if it means playing the kids. If they earn the shot, give them a roster spot. If ZLH and others have beat out some of the vets, then so be it. I honestly don't know that I could handle another season of seeing Jank, McC, Smith and Sherwood all playing on a nightly basis.

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
The only thing about keeping Duchene is we almost certainly wouldn't have signed both ROR and Nyqvist and they were obviously a huge part of our success this year so who knows how it would have panned out, we may very well have missed the playoffs

glenngineer

Jan 27, 2010
Franklin, TN
The only thing about keeping Duchene is we almost certainly wouldn't have signed both ROR and Nyqvist and they were obviously a huge part of our success this year so who knows how it would have panned out, we may very well have missed the playoffs
If anything, we don't sign Schenn. While we "saved" $5.5m this year, we've got dead space of $5.5m and $6.5m over the next two years, which means we'll save $2.5m and $1.5m the next two years, meaning, we have the space for ROR and Gus next season, which means, we had the space to have all three forwards. The only thing that signing Schenn did was moving Barrie to the bench for the bulk of the season.

Come to think of it, we would've been better off waiving Barrie and letting someone claim him and his cap hit and in doing so, would've had more cap space.

hido

Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Nashville
Still don't understand why we let Duchene go. Even if we had two more of the kids in the lineup for the bulk of the season, there was still room for him. We lacked secondary scoring which he could've provided. Put him with Novak and Evangelista and he's a much better option than Jankowski.

To say we couldn't have signed ROR and kept Duchene, the dollars would've worked out fine. Even if there was concern, don't sign Schenn in that scenario.

We're going to save $5 million to have a 50-60 point player play somewhere else. We would've been better off riding out his contract and see where it led.

We lacked speed and talent, both of which Duchene has. Instead, we iced 4 tweener talents and while their hustle and moxie was fun to watch, they were non-existent in the playoffs and the rest of the team doesn't have enough talent up front to make up for their deficiencies.

If we had played more of the youth this year I probably wouldn't have cared all that much. Was the season fun, sure was. However, once the playoffs were on the table, the expectations changed. Unfortunately, the kids didn't get the experience they needed and we got bounced again in the first round and we did it by sh*tt*ng the bed multiple times, which is unacceptable if you're building a team full of character.

I can only hope Trotz and Brunette grow as a team. I can only hope they put the best possible players on the ice for us next year, regardless if they are young and haven't cooked enough according to them in Milwaukee. We also can't be afraid to let late 20's players go thru waivers and accept that they may get claimed if it means playing the kids. If they earn the shot, give them a roster spot. If ZLH and others have beat out some of the vets, then so be it. I honestly don't know that I could handle another season of seeing Jank, McC, Smith and Sherwood all playing on a nightly basis.
Duchene was, allegedly, let go due to an off-ice attitude, the details of which none of us are fully privy to. At the time, almost this entire board did back flips in joy over the breaking up of the “country club,” with most recognizing that there would be some financial pain. And now, basically because of one OT goal, he’s the most wronged man in the history of modern hockey? You can definitely tell it’s a really boring time of the year for us.

All that being said, it would have been a whole lot cooler if BT had found someone besides Dallas to give the guy to!

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
Duchene was, allegedly, let go due to an off-ice attitude, the details of which none of us are fully privy to. At the time, almost this entire board did back flips in joy over the breaking up of the “country club,” with most recognizing that there would be some financial pain. And now, basically because of one OT goal, he’s the most wronged man in the history of modern hockey? You can definitely tell it’s a really boring time of the year for us.

All that being said, it would have been a whole lot cooler if BT had found someone besides Dallas to give the guy to!
Trotz didn't have any choice in where he went. We bought him out at which point he was an UFA.

I think people are also putting too much into the Duchene comments too. For me its more an eye roll thing. We brought in guys because they were winners and then watched them lose multiple leads during the season and playoffs while the guy we kicked to the curb actually won an important game, even if it really should have been over earlier if the NHL made the call they should have.

Still I think it puts a blemish on Trotz decision making. It may not be overall that big of a deal and overall may have been the right decision but right now it just looks bad.

Reactions: hockey diva

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA

It's easy to be a "winner" when you're playing for one of the top teams in the league and things are going well. I don't think Trotz ever doubted Duchene could do that, or his ability (which wasn't a question, so should be no surprise when he still does well).

Are you still a "winner/leader" when you are in the midst of several years without playoffs, when staring down top 10 picks, when your linemates are struggling kids? Do you still have the same drive to lay it all on the ice and give the same effort game in, game out? Feel like those were more the questions being asked that Trotz doubted the answers to, rightly or wrongly.

Loyal Legion

Nov 24, 2019

This is getting borderline infatuation for me but I would love to see more of this style of play from one of our defensemen.

Try and sign Zadorov and let Carrier walk?

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019

Here’s the thread on the Duchene buyout: Confirmed with Link: - Nashville Predators buying out Matt Duchene

The majority opinion was not liking it but willing to believe Trotz it was necessary as a culture move and to give young guys the opportunity to grow and develop. For me it’s less about Duchene and more just being frustrated still about the Game 4 loss as a result of poor play by the culture guys and the decision to go with tweener vets rather than young guys this year. Duchene netting the OT winner and generally playing well is just salt in the wound.

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
Reportedly $6M x 6
That just seems like a lot to me. Zadorov has been great these playoffs but he’s never been that highly thought of until now. He only got a 3rd and a 5th as a trade return earlier this season which just show how high his stock has risen. At that contract you need him to keep up the level of play he has these playoffs and that’s not a bet I’m to keen on taking.

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
That just seems like a lot to me. Zadorov has been great these playoffs but he’s never been that highly thought of until now. He only got a 3rd and a 5th as a trade return earlier this season which just show how high his stock has risen. At that contract you need him to keep up the level of play he has these playoffs and that’s not a bet I’m to keen on taking.
He's a real high risk, high reward player and seems to burn out his welcome fairly quickly. 6 years is a tough ask.

Reactions: hockey diva

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
It's easy to be a "winner" when you're playing for one of the top teams in the league and things are going well. I don't think Trotz ever doubted Duchene could do that, or his ability (which wasn't a question, so should be no surprise when he still does well).

Are you still a "winner/leader" when you are in the midst of several years without playoffs, when staring down top 10 picks, when your linemates are struggling kids? Do you still have the same drive to lay it all on the ice and give the same effort game in, game out? Feel like those were more the questions being asked that Trotz doubted the answers to, rightly or wrongly.
I mean the guys he brought in aren't playing with the struggling kids either, they are all playing with one another. I'm not saying Duchene fits that bill, more like I'm not sure those guys are being used in a way that fits that bill either.

Kids mostly played with themselves and tweeners, don't recall very many getting time with the Vets we brought in.

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007

Trotz didn't give him to anybody. He was bought out, not traded.
And I really don't think anyone here is saying Duchene was "wronged". Multiple people have observed that our playoff fortunes might have been different if we had him on the roster.

And @glenngineer, Schenn was signed to keep people from taking liberties with Josi. Trotz said as much. So Schenn was coming regardless. If Duchene and his 8 million dollars stayed on the roster, we either don't sign Nyqvist because we don't need another winger, or we don't sign ROR because maybe he doesn't choose to come here if MD is here. ROR may say they have "buried the hatchet" but that's a far cry from agreeing ti sign on the be his teammate.

So I admit that most of us are bitching about a hypothetical roster that had Duchene, ROR and Nyqvist that almost certainly would never have existed in reality

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad