Nashville Predators talk - The offseason.

Kat Predator

Nov 28, 2019
Sounds like Utah is going to be run more like an NHL team now as well.

They have over $23M in LTIRetire cap (which the previous owner used to get to the cap floor) so they could trade some of that to a cap strapped team for NHL caliber players. And they are already under the cap so can really swing a big stick in free agency.

Reactions: Porter Stoutheart

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
Of the two I think Tavares is the one that won't wave simply because of his family/kids. If I was a betting man he is probably hoping to hang on through this year and then sign a much more team friendly deal to stay in Toronto after that.

Reactions: Bringer of Jollity

Enoch

This is my boomstick
Jul 2, 2003
Cookeville TN
“We may have to [build the Predators] a little non-traditional,” Trotz said Tuesday. “What’s traditional? The old way is it’s part of the draft. But the new way is acquiring and using your assets to get some of those players, like Vegas does. So we may be a little bit of a hybrid to doing that.”
Put up or shut up. Let’s see it. I want to see this in action then.

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
I'd say that's more likely than Tavares waiving to come here :laugh:
If Tavares was open to coming here and he was essentially free, I would take him. He is theoretically an upgrade at 2C albeit an extremely cap heavy one that would limit other moves we can make next season... but it is only 1 season.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
If Tavares was open to coming here and he was essentially free, I would take him. He is theoretically an upgrade at 2C albeit an extremely cap heavy one that would limit other moves we can make next season... but it is only 1 season.
I just don't think Trotz is look for one year answers. That said I don't know if he is looking for 8 year answers either.

Kat Predator

Nov 28, 2019
The problem with bringing in more old forwards who are closing out their careers is that it means one less job for a younger guy. I guess if we're going to scrap "rebuild from within" and go "full Vegas" that is the way though. "Full Vegas" means we can start clearing the decks and trading guys like Askarov, etc. for more veterans. :dunno:

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
The problem with bringing in more old forwards who are closing out their careers is that it means one less job for a younger guy. I guess if we're going to scrap "rebuild from within" and go "full Vegas" that is the way though. "Full Vegas" means we can start clearing the decks and trading guys like Askarov, etc. for more veterans. :dunno:
Depends on what you think of Novak as a center and glass' chances of reversing course from last year. We can add/keep 1 and still fit some additional youth at forward. Now if we extend sherwood and zucker then adding Tavares on top would kill the youths opportunities. As long as we dont go hog wild (unless we are shipping a vet out in a different trade), there is some room for both.

hockey diva

RIP Pred303
Sponsor
May 17, 2010
Beleriand
No more expensive declining vets please, we are already one of the oldest teams in the NHL. And we have all that youth in Milwaukee. We need to give them a chance to sink or swim or just cut them loose.

Flgatorguy87

Jul 7, 2011
East Nasty
Well if the reports are true, then I am glad Trotz is kicking the tires on Marner. It's still in the unlikely to happen category, but that's the type of offensive talent we have lacked for basically our entire existence. There are no perfect players, but few opportunities come along where you can add a talent like that so rolling the dice is worth it in my opinion.

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN
Well if the reports are true, then I am glad Trotz is kicking the tires on Marner. It's still in the unlikely to happen category, but that's the type of offensive talent we have lacked for basically our entire existence. There are no perfect players, but few opportunities come along where you can add a talent like that so rolling the dice is worth it in my opinion.
Exactly. 99 point players don't come around often and if you get the chance it's well worth the risk even if they have flaws.

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
Exactly. 99 point players don't come around often and if you get the chance it's well worth the risk even if they have flaws.
99 in toronto. Doubt he makes that here but probably still at the top of the team. My concern would be his next contract. Unless he is willing to drop down to be in line with forsberg/josi, that contract would look ugly if his production dips.

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN
99 in toronto. Doubt he makes that here but probably still at the top of the team. My concern would be his next contract. Unless he is willing to drop down to be in line with forsberg/josi, that contract would look ugly if his production dips.
That's the risk you take with a star player, usually they aren't available.

Flgatorguy87

Jul 7, 2011
East Nasty
If he's 2ish million over the Josi/FF numbers then does it really make a difference? Cap is increasing, he's been a productive player...I just don't see the concern as long as he produces in some ball park of his past level. If he shits the bed and turns into a 50 point player then the cap is going to hurt in either scenario without much difference.

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
If he's 2ish million over the Josi/FF numbers then does it really make a difference? Cap is increasing, he's been a productive player...I just don't see the concern as long as he produces in some ball park of his past level. If he shits the bed and turns into a 50 point player then the cap is going to hurt in either scenario without much difference.
Guess the good thing is that our dead capspace decreases year over year (assuming we don't buy out anyone else) and assuming saros was part of a marner trade, Evangalista is currently the only player on the roster looking at a big raise after next season. So with a rising cap, we should still be able to make other improvements year over year.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Who are you more comfortable giving a long term contract to? Saros for an 8 x 8 or Marner at 8 x 11?
I think that's a reasonable expectation for the contract that Marner would get on an open market, but waaaay above what Saros is in line for. It's not an "either/or" situation at those numbers, therefore.

It's also seemingly impossible for people to peg just what the acquisition cost might be for Marner. How motivated Toronto is to move him, and to what extent he would control the process, how many suitors there might be - it could result in a wide range of extremes in terms of acquisition cost. And would not necessarily require us to give up Saros in order to obtain Marner. So again, not "either/or".

I'll take Marner for 1 year @ $10.903M + 8 more years @ $9.058M while still retaining Saros for 1 year @ $5M + 6 more years @ $6.5M, thanks!

Flgatorguy87

Jul 7, 2011
East Nasty
I think that's a reasonable expectation for the contract that Marner would get on an open market, but waaaay above what Saros is in line for. It's not an "either/or" situation at those numbers, therefore.

It's also seemingly impossible for people to peg just what the acquisition cost might be for Marner. How motivated Toronto is to move him, and to what extent he would control the process, how many suitors there might be - it could result in a wide range of extremes in terms of acquisition cost. And would not necessarily require us to give up Saros in order to obtain Marner. So again, not "either/or".

I'll take Marner for 1 year @ $10.903M + 8 more years @ $9.058M while still retaining Saros for 1 year @ $5M + 6 more years @ $6.5M, thanks!
I'm on board for that, but unless Saros (..and Marner to a degree) just decides he's going to be team friendly then it feels a little too idealistic on both deals.

We can handle both deals at even a higher rate, and still develop Askarov into a very valuable trade piece. I wouldn't be mad about it. I do think Askarov would need to be moved at some point though, as it's really not necessary to have that level of commitment to that position in my mind. I also assume if Saros is signing a deal in that neighborhood he would expect a full NMC which further pushes the point on eventually moving Askarov.

ILikeItILoveIt

Apr 2, 2010
The elephant in the room is, Are you willing to sign up for Saros as your goalie for 7-or-8 years? Is he good enough and are we good enough to devote top long-term dollars to the goalie position next year?

Reactions: Armourboy

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
It's also seemingly impossible for people to peg just what the acquisition cost might be for Marner. How motivated Toronto is to move him, and to what extent he would control the process, how many suitors there might be - it could result in a wide range of extremes in terms of acquisition cost.
Hope I'm not intruding too much, but I find talking to fans of other teams directly can be a lot more rewarding than the chaos of the main board.

It's in no way credible, but there's been some non-trolly reasonable "offers" from fans of a couple of other teams rumoured to be interested- all of which were contingent on him coming with an extension.

Seattle 1: Bjorkstrand+2025 1st + 2024 NYR 2nd + Nyman/Goyette/Sale
Seattle 2: Bjorkstrand + Oleksiak + 2024 40th ovr + Nyman + Goyette
Pittsburgh : Smith + 2025 1st (protected) + Pickering + Ilyin

Using those as a barometer (Seattle offers are a push, Pittsburgh trails) what do you think would be a Nashville offer to get in the running, one to beat the field, and would you be willing to do either?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad