Nashville Predators talk - The offseason.

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
I've not seen much of Turcotte but just looking at stats I don't see how Tomasino isn't more valuable than he is. Despite other deficiencies in his game Tomasino has at least shown he can produce adequately at the NHL level. Turcotte doesn't seem to have even been able to do that.

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
We shouldn't trade for a guy that also needs waivers. That defeats the purpose.
Really I'm a bit dismayed that waiver status would play any factor in what we do with Tomasino or a theoretical asset we pay for him. Our roster isn't that good or irreplaceable. We also tend to hand out multi-year extensions to our vet bottom 6 types, which should dissuade some of the interest in claiming them.

Reactions: hockey diva

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
We shouldn't trade for a guy that also needs waivers. That defeats the purpose.
And also not for a guy that is somewhat notorious also for being a bit of a soft touch who needs to play with more hustle/consistency. There's really no point in bringing that player back in exchange for Tomasino. Just take a 5th round draft pick or whatever instead and use it on somebody who fits the "identity" they are looking for.

Reactions: Kat Predator

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Possible UFA targets:
Forwards
Guentzel
Reinhart
Chandler Stephenson/adam Henrique

Defense
Montour
Zadorov
Roy

Probably missing a couple but that is who sticks out to me.
The UFA pipe dream season is upon us. Guentzel proving he's more than just a beneficiary of being Crosbys winger means he will get top dollar, but he's also the kind of talent Trotz should want.
We have enough prospects on D that we don't have to spend our cap on any big additions so if we are gonna try to keep winning I an OK with a big offer for Guentzel, assuming he'd even consider us

Reactions: Bringer of Jollity

Flgatorguy87

Jul 7, 2011
East Nasty
Really I'm a bit dismayed that waiver status would play any factor in what we do with Tomasino or a theoretical asset we pay for him. Our roster isn't that good or irreplaceable. We also tend to hand out multi-year extensions to our vet bottom 6 types, which should dissuade some of the interest in claiming them.
No doubt, and it is unfortunate, but the reality is we can't just deem someone a forever prospect who is going to hopefully improve...eventually they aren't a prospect any more and we have to make a decision. This is the same path that led us to Tolvanen.

Kat Predator

Nov 28, 2019
No doubt, and it is unfortunate, but the reality is we can't just deem someone a forever prospect who is going to hopefully improve...eventually they aren't a prospect any more and we have to make a decision. This is the same path that led us to Tolvanen.
And that's perhaps part of the reason some weren't thrilled with how everything went down this season. Maybe it truly was the best thing for Tomasino to spend most of the season in the AHL. But if the coaching staff wrote him off as a lost cause and their lasting evaluation is he has to transmogrify into a different player by next season to earn a spot, then that "best thing for Tomasino's development" is really just spending time and money to make Phil the best player he can be for his next team, which is the competition. Just trading him at the draft for a 5th rounder is better than where this is headed.

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
This trading Tomasino for a mid round pick type talk is basically how we ended up giving Seattle a free middle 6 winger and it is gonna happen again.

ShagDaddy

Nov 24, 2021
The Boro
For those that didn’t listen to the entire press conference and only read the “articles” or tweets regarding Trotz and Brunette’s comments, I highly recommend doing so. It seems that some here dont know what the entire comments are.

Kat Predator

Nov 28, 2019
This trading Tomasino for a mid round pick type talk is basically how we ended up giving Seattle a free middle 6 winger and it is gonna happen again.
I'm confused what you mean here, Stoneheart. "Talk" didn't get Tolvanen waived. And waiving Tolvanen instead of trading him was how Seattle got a mid-6 player that we developed for absolutely nothing.

Kat Predator

Nov 28, 2019
Giving up on a player (by management) instead of playing them.
Got it. Thanks.

Hard to believe that at one time we had a line of Tolvanen/Glass/Tomasino at the end of a season that looked really good and like it might be a thing in the near future. Now, it looks like we'll give up on all of them.

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
Got it. Thanks.

Hard to believe that at one time we had a line of Tolvanen/Glass/Tomasino at the end of a season that looked really good and like it might be a thing in the near future. Now, it looks like we'll give up on all of them.
Yeah... kindof hard to believe. Tolvanen is a NHLer. Glass is hard to pin down. He looks passable in fits and spurts. I thought he looked good the last time he touched ice. Tomasino is inconsistent but looks like a NHLer as well. I just hate to lose him for nothing as well which i see a mid round pick as being pretty much nothing. If we can get a decent prospect swap like the boards mentioned Pickering, i could get on board with that. Might not be thrilled but something along those lines would be workable

Reactions: Kat Predator

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
Glass is a guy I think could have been a decent #2 but I think he has just lost too much time due to injuries and because of his history I don't really think they have any faith that he would hold up.

Tolvanen was just a stupid decision by Poile. He honestly thought no one was going to take him, and while I know fans are often wrong, almost no one thought he was going to get through without some teams taking a stab. I'll also never understand why he thought his only option was to waive him when we showed at the time that he didn't need too.

Tomasino I'm wondering if maybe he didn't pick up some bad thoughts on how to do things based on who was here. We know that one offseason it looked like he basically believed he was going to walk right into a roster spot, just seems wild to think since then he hasn't gotten the message. Then again some guys are just like that, so who knows.

Reactions: Preds Partisan

ShagDaddy

Nov 24, 2021
The Boro
Reactions: Softball99

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
I mean how comparable are we to Vegas really. Their situation was unique and they were adding on to a Cup finalist team.

That being said if we want to go super aggressive in trades and free agency than I can get on board but I hope we commit to it. Either build through the draft and commit to giving young guys opportunity or just saw screw it and try and sell high on prospects when you get the chance.

Reactions: Armourboy

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
“We may have to [build the Predators] a little non-traditional,” Trotz said Tuesday. “What’s traditional? The old way is it’s part of the draft. But the new way is acquiring and using your assets to get some of those players, like Vegas does. So we may be a little bit of a hybrid to doing that.”
Sounds like a wheelin and dealin summer

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN
I mean how comparable are we to Vegas really. Their situation was unique and they were adding on to a Cup finalist team.

That being said if we want to go super aggressive in trades and free agency than I can get on board but I hope we commit to it. Either build through the draft and commit to giving young guys opportunity or just saw screw it and try and sell high on prospects when you get the chance.

We still Saros, Josi and Forsberg as building blocks. Yes, Vegas was unique, but in some ways we're ahead of where they were. They traded Suzuki Glass and we've drafted twice in the 1st last year, '21 and next year.

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
I don’t really think Tomasino, Parsinnen, Afanasyev, etc. are really the trade pieces. They’re good players in my opinion but are really second liners at best. It’s the guys who still have potential for more like Askarov, Kemell, L’Hereux, Molendyk or Wood that are the more valuable trade chips.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad