Nashville Predators talk - The offseason.

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
Noting I mentioned about Gretzky was regular season based hence the words "in the playoffs".

Claiming that Messier shut down Gretzky in the post season is extremely hit or miss depending on which playoff series. 89 saw Gretzky light up the Oilers in the playoffs with 13 points in the series ... Messier playing in all the games. 90 Gretzky was kept quiet. 91 he was just below a point per game with 5 points in 6 games. Your perception and blanket statements simply don't hold up. I await your next attempt at attacking me rather than staying on the topic at hand.

ETA:
Stanley Cup is capitalized, both words. If you're going to pretend that is the basis of your rant then show the trophy its due respect.
FWIW, Gretzky was injured in the '90 playoffs and hadn't even been expected to play.

ShagDaddy

Nov 24, 2021
The Boro
A list of forward frees agents I would like for Trotz to kick the tires on.
Stamkos
Marcheassault
Stephenson
Zucker
Reinhart
Guentzel
Teravainen
Monahan

There are a couple others out there that may be one of those “right” players that would excel in Brunette’s system as well. Getting one or two of those would help bolster the second line.

Of course if Trotz is going to make a hockey trade to bring in players on longer contracts to fill that whole that would be preferable.

Outside of Zadorov, not sure about other potential free agents that would improve the D corp. that situation will more than likely have to be addressed through trades.

Reactions: Enoch

predfan24

Jul 12, 2006
Stamkos
Marcheassault
Stephenson
Zucker
Reinhart
Guentzel
Teravainen
Monahan

There are a couple others out there that may be one of those “right” players that would excel in Brunette’s system as well. Getting one or two of those would help bolster the second line.

Of course if Trotz is going to make a hockey trade to bring in players on longer contracts to fill that whole that would be preferable.

Outside of Zadorov, not sure about other potential free agents that would improve the D corp. that situation will more than likely have to be addressed through trades.
I haven't been keeping up with him, and I see he missed most the regular season this year due to injury, but Arvy still seems to be putting up nice offensive numbers. Due to his injury risk I wonder if he could be got for cheaper and shorter term? High risk high reward possibly but wouldn't break the bank.

101st_fan

I taught Yoda
Oct 22, 2005
Near where sand and waves meet.
I don’t think we should sign Gretzky this offseason. 63 just seems a bit old for the modern NHL.
He'd probably be more durable than Cody Glass.

Stamkos
Marcheassault
Stephenson
Zucker
Reinhart
Guentzel
Teravainen
Monahan

Stamkos is an interesting piece potentially out there. If he chooses to leave Tampa then a 2-3 year offer makes sense. He's not young but still performs.

We should know if Zucker will extend here before the draft.

If we trade Saros, Montreal has a need for a goalie. They have two picks this first round. I'm just not sure who in their system would fit Bruno's style. Xhekaj would be an interesting possible return for the backend.

Reactions: Enoch

BigFatCat999

First Fubu and now Pred303. !@#$! you cancer
Apr 23, 2007
Campbell, NY
Gretzky never won a Stanley Cup without Messier. Messier won six Stanley cups ! I brought this up because I watched in person Mark will his team past the unlead Gretzky LA Kings . Mark was on the ice when ever Gretzky was he shut Gretz down , smashed him down, and turned Gretz into a turtle the whole series . I was like everyone else a Gretzky fan until then when I saw Mess. Gretz was a slow skater, Mes could fly, Gretz was weak , Mess is one the strongest NHL players ever, Head to head no comparison . Mark won two Conn Smythes also , Messier was already called Messiah way before the Edmonton native was traded to the Rangers.

Ahhhhh this is the crack pipe off-season chatter I missed nature is healing

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
I haven't been keeping up with him, and I see he missed most the regular season this year due to injury, but Arvy still seems to be putting up nice offensive numbers. Due to his injury risk I wonder if he could be got for cheaper and shorter term? High risk high reward possibly but wouldn't break the bank.
Absolutely not. He has been injured every season since he left. He puts up decent numbers in between but he is going to miss at least 20-40 games a season, and that's if you are lucky. Poile is gone, lets leave retreading old tired Preds with him.

Reactions: Porter Stoutheart

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
There is no way ROR, Gus abd Fil recreate this year.

And there is almost no way that we will have a year without major injuries to top players like this year.

We can give a lot of kids a chance next year without "play all the kids and tank"

I want to see Kemell, L'H, and Egor get a good taste of the NHL.

We need to fish or cut bait on Tomasino Parsinnen and above all Fabbro.

Askarov either needs to be Saros backup or if we trade Saros, he needs to be a 1A/1B with Lanky(if Lanky will resign)

I keep reminding myself how fun the regular season was, eventually I'll get over being pissed.

It will help if Edmonton mops the floor with Vancouver.

hockey diva

RIP Pred303
Sponsor
May 17, 2010
Beleriand
No more waiver wire retreads from other teams. When a guy is waived, there is usually a really good reason he was let go. We wasted roster space for Foudy etc, that could have gone to a couple other kids.

Definitely want to see more young guys in the lineup next season. Yes, they will make mistakes, may not be as “defensively responsible” as some want, but they have to learn.

I am hoping Evangelista looks at a lot of video and realizes how many goals he could have gotten if he had just shot the puck instead of trying for a highlight reel.

We are lacking top end talent for sure, let’s hope our scouts have figured out how to find it without having to finish in the bottom 5.

Southstarpreds

Dec 15, 2023
Explain MacKinnon and Makar
Well MacKinnon the best player in the NHL , has the foot speed that Petterson does not . Novak , and Petterson are not even in MacKinnon classification. Novak, and Pettersson are peripheral players . MacKinnon is the exact oppisite if you would have to put a label on MacKinnon I would say world class Pwr. Forward. Players like MacKinnon have no problems in the playoffs. He is able to be creative because the speed his brain , and body work at, the hockey world has not caught up to yet. The real QUESTION is how does Crosby , and MacKinnon come from the same small town.

Last edited:

101st_fan

I taught Yoda
Oct 22, 2005
No more waiver wire retreads from other teams. When a guy is waived, there is usually a really good reason he was let go. We wasted roster space for Foudy etc, that could have gone to a couple other kids.

Definitely want to see more young guys in the lineup next season. Yes, they will make mistakes, may not be as “defensively responsible” as some want, but they have to learn.

I am hoping Evangelista looks at a lot of video and realizes how many goals he could have gotten if he had just shot the puck instead of trying for a highlight reel.

We are lacking top end talent for sure, let’s hope our scouts have figured out how to find it without having to finish in the bottom 5.

So people here are done complaining about Tolvanen. Got it.

Cold Chickory returns
Old Hickory / Cold Chickory had points and could defend them.

• Haha
Reactions: triggrman

Southstarpreds

Dec 15, 2023
I did not know there was so much Gretzky love. Her is a hint do not let you kids watch him they immediately jump on how slow , and awkward he looked. Number two thing they say is no wonder he scored so much look how awful the goalies are. Goalies in the 80s all of them where standup goalies no butterfly goalies yet.

hido

Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Nashville
Trying to get back on topic, what do we think happens with Karl Taylor after their season? I’d really hate to lose him from the org.

ShagDaddy

Nov 24, 2021
The Boro
If we trade Saros, Montreal has a need for a goalie. They have two picks this first round. I'm just not sure who in their system would fit Bruno's style. Xhekaj would be an interesting possible return for the backend.
If they get a draft pick in addition to a player that’s fine. Draft picks alone won’t help this team in the next two to three years.

A trade with Montreal seems unlikely with their roster players they’d be willing to part with.

101st_fan

I taught Yoda
Oct 22, 2005
If they get a draft pick in addition to a player that’s fine. Draft picks alone won’t help this team in the next two to three years.

A trade with Montreal seems unlikely with their roster players they’d be willing to part with.

The Jake Allen trade minimizes the need in NJ but they might be in a position for a 1A/1B. MTL still has cap issues even with the rising cap and has a waiver claim goalie at the top of their depth chart right now with a couple of worthy target who they probably don't move (same holds true for most of the players we want in return). SJ has needs in goal. ANA and Gibson haven't been a good fit for a couple of seasons so a series of trades might make sense for them. OTT is a huge question mark up and down the entire roster. The Utah hockey club could use an upgrade between the pipes.

ShagDaddy

Nov 24, 2021
The Boro
The Jake Allen trade minimizes the need in NJ but they might be in a position for a 1A/1B. MTL still has cap issues even with the rising cap and has a waiver claim goalie at the top of their depth chart right now with a couple of worthy target who they probably don't move (same holds true for most of the players we want in return). SJ has needs in goal. ANA and Gibson haven't been a good fit for a couple of seasons so a series of trades might make sense for them. OTT is a huge question mark up and down the entire roster. The Utah hockey club could use an upgrade between the pipes.
If Trotz could pull off a trade to get one of Utah’s young forwards, that’d be alright for me.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
I don't think this is Parssinens put up or shut up year, Afanysev and Tomasini need permanent spots though.
Parssinen they need to decide what they want him to be, if they can't figure it out he won't be able to either.

If Afanasyev isn't given a roster spot they might as well trade him and quit wasting his time with us. Same thing with Tomasino and Fabbro, its time for the organization to either crap or get off the pot with these two.

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
Well when you overcook guys and are unwilling to put too many young guys on the roster you sort of create a self fulfilling prophesy. Since Afanasyev didn't get any time this year despite being ready now he still has very limited NHL experience and if having him as the unexperienced guy in the lineup limits your willingness to put L'Hereux in now he has to wait another year overcooking.

Last edited:

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Trying to get back on topic, what do we think happens with Karl Taylor after their season? I’d really hate to lose him from the org.
I don't know. Nobody offered him a HC job after the Ads had a great season last year, and if they flame out in the first round this year I think the most he will get is offers to be an NHL assistant, which he may or may not find preferable to staying in Milwaukee.

With all the kids he has coached poised to hit the NHL in the next couple of years I wish the Preds could convince him to be an assistant coach here.

Reactions: adsfan

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
Well when you overcook guys and are unwilling to put too many young guys on the roster you sort of create a self fulfilling prophesy. Since Afanasyev didn't get any time this year despite being ready now he still has very limited NHL experience and if having him as the unexperienced guy in the lineup limits your willingness to put L'Hereux in now he has to wait another year overcooking.
He didn’t look so ready when he was up

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad