News Article: Nash on going back to Columbus, endorses McDonagh for Captain

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York
http://bluejacketsxtra.dispatch.com.../nash-its-definitely-going-to-be-special.html

Q. Are you dreading this or looking forward to it?
A. I’m looking forward to it. It’s a different situation. Most guys get traded and it seems like they’re right back there playing with their new team in a few weeks. For me, it’s been so long (since the trade) that it’s lost some of the feeling for me. What’s it been … a year and six months? A year and eight months? It’ll be fun to be back in Nationwide, for sure. It’s been so long since I’ve been there.
Q. What do you think the crowd response will be?
A. I’m sure there will be some of both. There will be some boos, but I’m sure there will be some cheers, too. I don’t know if this sounds bad or not, but I’m really excited that the Blue Jackets are doing well and they’re in a good spot (in the standings). The fans deserve it. They’ve been through a lot with 13 seasons and only four playoff games. They’re passionate. They love their hockey, and they deserve what they’re getting now. I always had a tight relationship with (founder) John H. McConnell, and it’s continued with (current majority owner) John P. (McConnell). It’s a good family. They’ve done so much for Columbus, and I’m happy to see them finally get some success out of the team they’ve put so much into.
Q. But you can’t also wish good fortune and good luck on another Metro team, can you? This is shaping up to be a pretty good rivalry, I would think, two pretty good teams.
A. Hey, they’ve got great goaltending. They’ve got guys who play the right way, work hard, follow the system … that’s a formula to a great team. Obviously, I want us (the Rangers) to have success in this league, playing in the playoffs and having a chance at the Stanley Cup. So when I say I want them to do well, I’m talking about for the sake of fans and ownership. At the end of the day (on Friday), the two points are up for grabs. That’s what they’re looking for, and what we’re looking for. No matter if it’s Philly or Washington or Columbus, we’re all bundled up and it’s the points you’re looking for.
Q. When you were in Columbus, you were the focal point of the franchise, even before you were named captain. What’s it feel like in New York now, where a lot of changes have been made to that team, too, in the last calendar year, with Marian Gaborik gone and just recently Ryan Callahan getting traded. How much pressure is back on you now?
A. I still have a lot of pressure. My whole career I’ll have pressure on myself no matter where I go. No matter where I play there will be pressure on me to produce. Here in New York, you know how it is. They expect a winning team, and when you’re hovering around a playoff spot, there’s definitely pressure on the team and on certain individuals, especially when you’re not producing the way you want to be. I enjoy the pressure. I like it. I was the face (of the franchise in Columbus) for so long, and had so much pressure, and I enjoyed it. I’ve played in three Olympics, had tons of pressure there. Now playing in New York City and playing for an Original 6 team, there’s pressure too. It’s just part of being a professional athlete.

Q. The Rangers don’t have a captain. Could you be line for another shot at that?
A. (laughs) Oh, no. They have a great defenseman here, Ryan McDonagh. He’s on a long-term deal. He’s one of the best defensemen in the league, one of the hardest guys to play against. I think he’s the leading candidate.
Q. Is that a job you’d even want? Really?
A. That’s a great question. Haven’t even thought about it. It’s a tough job. It’s not for everybody. I want to win. That’s all I want. If it’s me being the captain, then sure. But we have great candidates here with Marty St. Louis and Brad Richards … but I think Ryan is the true candidate and it’d be a great move for the organization.

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York
Nice words but here's what concerns me:

"I still have a lot of pressure"

"Here in New York, you know how it is"

I think he means that in New York you're expected to win the Stanley Cup every season whereas in Columbus they would probably be happy just to make the playoffs.

I think it's good that he feels the pressure on himself, no?

OverTheCap

Jan 3, 2009
I really hope AV takes note of this. With both Staal and Callahan out this season, he opted to give Nash the "A" over McDonagh.

TheDirtyH

Jul 5, 2013
Chicago
Man, I wish Nash were having a better season because he's such a likeable guy. Love that his response to the captain question was that he just wants to win. Hope he has a big game tomorrow and finishes the year well.

Steve Kournianos

@thedraftanalyst
Nash isnt Messier. He's Mike Gartner.

Quiet, consistent every year, happy to show up to work but not a rah-rah get-on-my-back kind of player.

Mike Gartner had a reputation of a floater and a softy, and a guy who pulled a vanishing act every postseason. Great teammate, nice guy. Not a leader.

Nash is not a leader. Nothing wrong with that. He understands his role and he sticks to it.

Jersey Girl

Sep 28, 2008

Quiet, consistent every year, happy to show up to work but not a rah-rah get-on-my-back kind of player.

Mike Gartner had a reputation of a floater and a softy, and a guy who pulled a vanishing act every postseason. Great teammate, nice guy. Not a leader.

Nash is not a leader. Nothing wrong with that. He understands his role and he sticks to it.

Please. I get the comparison, but Nash is no Mike Gartner. Not even close. If Mike Gartner in his prime was available right now I would trade Nash for him in a heartbeat. Mike Gartner was never a floater and he never disappeared for weeks at a time.

Not a physical player by any means, but he always showed up, unlike Mr. Invisible.

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York
I'm hoping Nash used last playoffs as a learning experience and that if we make it this year he will play like a man possessed. Can you imagine how dangerous this team would be if Nash and MSL were both lighting the lamp regulary?

Doctyl

Play-ins Manager
Jan 25, 2011
Bofflol
I'm hoping Nash used last playoffs as a learning experience and that if we make it this year he will play like a man possessed. Can you imagine how dangerous this team would be if Nash and MSL were both lighting the lamp regulary?

If Nash, MSL, Hank, Staal, McD, Kreider, Zucc, Brass, and Step are all going, we have a legitimate shot at a cup.

Huge if though

Beer League Sniper

Homeless Man's Rick Nash
Apr 27, 2010
City in a Forest
You need a leader among your forwards. One forward has to have a letter. If Staal signs long-term, I think he gets it. If not and he's traded, then Girardi or McDonagh, with a letter going to a forward. I laid it out in another thread, but I think these are the scenarios. This all assumes Richards is bought out and frees up an A.

Staal Signs Long-Term
C - Staal
A - Girardi
A - Nash/St. Louis

Staal is traded over the summer
C - Girardi
A - McDonagh
A - Nash/St. Louis

Staal remains but is a pending UFA
C - Girardi
A - Staal
A - Nash/St. Louis

As you can see, I think it all hinges on what happens with Staal. I think the C definitely goes to a long-term signed D-man, and my pecking order would be Signed Staal > Girardi > McDonagh. And I think you definitely need a letter from a vet forward like Nash or St. Louis. Who knows, maybe putting a letter on Nash makes him more engaged. Wishful thinking, but who knows.

Baby Punisher

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2012
Staten Island, NY

Are we talking about a different Gartner? That's not how I remember him as a player at all.
I could see McD wearing the C. He is more then qualified. However he would have to get his family authentic jerseys. You can't be the captain of the NYR & have your family showing up to games wearing cheap Chinese knock offs.

High And Wide*

I don't know why it bothered me so much to see him refer to the Rangers as "they" when he spoke about McDonagh.

I think the "they" refers to the people who will be choosing the captains.

Idlerlee

Apr 19, 2013
Why should Nash have a A ? I dont get it, he does not lead by example. This is literally giving letters to a contract

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York
Why should Nash have a A ? I dont get it, he does not lead by example. This is literally giving letters to a contract

Who's saying he should get one?

In the interview it's a Columbus beat writer asking him if he thinks he will get a letter. The reason for asking that is because Nash wore the C in Columbus. Nash clearly said no and said he thinks McDonagh should get the C.

I don't think I remember how Nash looks "possessed"

If you're referring to my post, let me clarify. I didn't say he looks possessed, I said I'm hoping he can use last years playoffs as a learning experience and come out in these playoffs playing like a man possessed.

Steve Kournianos

@thedraftanalyst
Please. I get the comparison, but Nash is no Mike Gartner. Not even close. If Mike Gartner in his prime was available right now I would trade Nash for him in a heartbeat. Mike Gartner was never a floater and he never disappeared for weeks at a time.

Not a physical player by any means, but he always showed up, unlike Mr. Invisible.

Yeah.

No.

Gartner never won a goal scoring title. Gartner was a notorious playoff choker.

Either you watched him play or you didnt. It took gartner 12 years to finish in the top-5 in goals in a season. Nash has done it twice and before the age of 29.

Gartner never a floater. LOL.

I'll have to remember that one.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad