NASA to Host News Conference on Discovery Beyond Our Solar System | Wed. Feb 22 1PM

Seb

All we are is Dustin Byfuglien
Jul 15, 2006
Last edited by a moderator:

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
My guess?

They've detected a radio/other kind of signal originating from an exoplanet which may be of sentient origin.

Seb

Jul 15, 2006
My guess?

They've detected a radio/other kind of signal originating from an exoplanet which may be of sentient origin.

That would be ultra freaking nice

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
I updated the title to reflect this is on Wednesday the 22nd not Tuesday.

I saw Tuesday mentioned several places so I thought it was today as well. Took a long time for me to realize why nothing was out in terms of specifics yet :)

Seb

Jul 15, 2006
I updated the title to reflect this is on Wednesday the 22nd not Tuesday.

I saw Tuesday mentioned several places so I thought it was today as well. Took a long time for me to realize why nothing was out in terms of specifics yet :)

Oh crap you're right, I somehow thought we were monday.

Seb

Jul 15, 2006
Last edited:

Seb

Jul 15, 2006
Best guess I've seen so far is detection of liquid water or some atmospheric details of the third TRAPPIST-1 planet.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TRAPPIST-1d

I feel like this is the kind of news we will get tomorrow, but these 2 comments about science fiction really don't make sense in that case. It might be something crazier than we expect, which is thrilling.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
Says the new planets are all orbiting TRAPPIST-1 as well. So 7 earth-sized worlds possibly in the habitable zone around one sun. That's sci-fi material.

Seb

Jul 15, 2006
But I've read there already found 3 exoplanets in the habitable zone around that sun... I get that it's 4 more and it makes it to an impressive number but I fail to see how that new information is worth the current hype and how it redefines science fiction as opposed to 3 exoplanets.

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
Someone on Reddit did some digging and it seems as though several of the experts who will be at this announcement do research on exoplanet atmospheres. They were speculating that it likely has something to do with that, based on who will be there.

No matter what, don't get your hopes up. Something big for the scientific community may not make for particularly exciting news to the general public. Regardless, I'm excited to see this.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
This is really awkward lol.

You're telling me this Asian chick holds a senior position in their communications department?

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
This is really awkward lol.

You're telling me this Asian chick holds a senior position in their communications department?

I think the table that's too small for the group announcing their findings is much more awkward and hilarious.

It's like everyone's in highschool or something and they just grabbed a table they could use.

Seb

Jul 15, 2006
Did I hear right? According tho their readings, one of the planets in the habitable zone might be rich in water?

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
Did I hear right? According tho their readings, one of the planets in the habitable zone might be rich in water?

Yes. They said mass/density of one suggested rich in water. Edit: I forget if it was habitable zone or not. I don't think he stated either way.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
I think the table that's too small for the group announcing their findings is much more awkward and hilarious.

It's like everyone's in highschool or something and they just grabbed a table they could use.

Yeah that too.

Guess all the budget cuts at NASA finally caught up. :sarcasm:

But seriously, billions of dollars in funding and they put up a video that looks like a 1990's high school educational video about puberty?

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
I'm calling it: Hostile aliens on TRAPPIST-1G.

Don't go looking, they'll find us. :cry:

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site
I forget the exact phrasing, but the comment early about "when, not if" for finding evidence of life seems like the big takeaway.

I'm not super knowledgeable about this stuff other than having a toddler who is pretty space obsessed, but, this does seem pretty huge.

Danko

You have no marbles
Jul 28, 2004
I don't think it's such a major find...we have to develop some sort of drive that would actually get us there

Jeffrey

Feb 2, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
Yeah that too.

Guess all the budget cuts at NASA finally caught up. :sarcasm:

But seriously, billions of dollars in funding and they put up a video that looks like a 1990's high school educational video about puberty?
Substance over form.

I don't care about the look of the conference but the findings behind their research.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad