Post-Game Talk: NAS - CAR Game 2: 3-0 Canes win - lead series 2-0

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
to avoid having the mess that we did last time with a 1200+ post GDT.

Aho's ability to disrupt the other team's PP in their own zone may be the single most underrated skill in the NHL. I believe someone here posted the statistic that a short-handed goal has more influence on a single game's outcome than any other type of goal or situation.

He changes the back pass that almost all PP's use. When the opponents switch tactics to dump the puck deep, Aho is often able to tip the pass coming back to the PP quarterback at the point and create those short-handed breakaways.
There are some other great PKing forwards (Coleman, Atkinson, Stone come to mind) but none of them create the short-handed havoc that Aho does on a regular basis.

I mean it makes sense to me. There's been a trend, and I wouldn't doubt that much of it is analytics based, over the past few years moving towards more and more aggressive PKs, at least for us but also feels like a few other teams like Tampa as well. The focus has moved away from simply clogging up the net front lanes and shooting lanes to pressuring the opponent in to mistakes. There have to be some numbers out there that show that pressuring the opponent is more effective at preventing shots (duh) and goals, whether they are public or proprietary is the question on that one. on the other end of things, it doesn't take a rocket surgeon to see that a more aggressive PK generates far more shorthanded scoring chances for the defending team when properly executed.

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC

I mean it makes sense to me. There's been a trend, and I wouldn't doubt that much of it is analytics based, over the past few years moving towards more and more aggressive PKs, at least for us but also feels like a few other teams like Tampa as well. The focus has moved away from simply clogging up the net front lanes and shooting lanes to pressuring the opponent in to mistakes. There have to be some numbers out there that show that pressuring the opponent is more effective at preventing shots (duh) and goals, whether they are public or proprietary is the question on that one. on the other end of things, it doesn't take a rocket surgeon to see that a more aggressive PK generates far more shorthanded scoring chances for the defending team when properly executed.

I'm guessing this took a lot of work to convince the old school coaches because while the chance of a SH goal goes up (clearly more if teams are doing this) the chance of a PP goal goes up a little as well unless you are an elite PK.

Old school theory was "get through the 2 minutes without giving up a goal." It takes a change in thinking to realize it's ok to be more aggressive if you score more goals this way in the long run than the additional goals you give up.

The best ways to counter this are to get the pass through when the defender goes for it, or successfully fake the pass to get them out of position. Once more teams start doing these things, you'll see the aggressive PK take a bit of a step back.

hockeynjune

CAT4 and RI TAKE SHELTER NOW
Sponsor
Jan 15, 2021
DWGKdnT.png

Pretty sure that's my hand over his left shoulder. @Davimir Tarablad
We tried to figure out that jersey too but never asked him. Too much going on.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
Well reading the insiddreeerrrrr stuff on Twits, seems like he wasn’t happy here cause he got injured, and got his role reduced
Got some #sauces that say that as a part of his discontent with his reduced role, he took leave from the team, went on vacation, and then asked to be traded, during a time in which he got into an argument with Brindy that clearly divided the team (and by divided, I mean turned the entire team against him)

Once again, can't verify that, but that's the latest that I've heard about it

Tryamw

Loyal Fan of Jerks
Sponsor
Nov 2, 2016
Durham

thanks for quoting this.

another name that comes to mind is the Rat himself (Brad Marchand) He's **** good on the PK.

GoCanes2015

Oct 14, 2017
Weird game with all the penalties, but... my observations:

Seemed like Staal put on Skjei's jersey last night. Brady was outstanding, probably his best game as a Cane. Played like a Selke-worthy forward and Top pairing D all in one game.
Other than Aho on offense, it seemed no one else (maybe Lorentz?) stood out on offense, which I don't actually mind because I also don't recall anyone really stinking it up either, so an all around solid, team performance. Pesce was solid on D as usual, and Bean and Hakanpaa were noticeably good.
So, the notion that we have one of the deepest D-cores in the league played out last night. Encouraging.
With a 2-0 lead, do we err on the side of caution and rest Slavin again? If we get last night Sjkei, I'd say yes. Anything less, maybe not.
Ned deserves another start Friday, get to 3-0 and let Petr go Sunday afternoon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad