Player Discussion Nail Yakupov

Status
Not open for further replies.

Musashi

May 23, 2012
Alberta
Pouiot yet again made the biggest bonhead play of the game taking a stupid penalty in offensive end with the Oilers unravelling in the 2nd. Another in an unending series of brutal penalties from this player that has cost us countless games. not even a mention of it though on the board.

Maybe because everyone knows you take great satisfaction in pointing out every mistake Pouliot makes so we're just doing you a favour.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Maybe because everyone knows you take great satisfaction in pointing out every mistake Pouliot makes so we're just doing you a favour.

Well, given that of any player on this team he's the most prone to taking selfish penalties that cost the team its not hard to note.

He's a vet player being paid amply here to be better than a me first player.

Do you really disagree with that?

Musashi

May 23, 2012
Alberta
Well, given that of any player on this team he's the most prone to taking selfish penalties that cost the team its not hard to note.

Don’t disagree but we know you’ve had your mind made up about the player before he even put the oiler jersey on. It was clear that we had to take the bad with the good when signing Pouliot but funny time to bring this up when he’s only made us short-handed in 3 out of the last 15 games he’s played - which I'm sure is less than Hendricks.

When he costs this team, I’m sure McLellan will see fit to punish him accordingly but whatever fits your narrative when discussing the players you already have your mind made up about right?

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Don’t disagree but we know you’ve had your mind made up about the player before he even put the oiler jersey on. It was clear that we had to take the bad with the good when signing Pouliot but funny time to bring this up when he’s only made us short-handed in 3 out of the last 15 games he’s played - which I'm sure is less than Hendricks.

When he costs this team, I’m sure McLellan will see fit to punish him accordingly but whatever fits your narrative when discussing the players you already have your mind made up about right?

I don't like that the player has been a career underachiever which has only continued here. The reality is we have a well paid vet recruit who on many nights is satisfied being a passenger. In other words Pouliot being the same Pouliot he's been the vast majority of his career.

How was I wrong about the player?

Do you think we're getting value?

He doesn't drive anything and is mere beneficiary of most of his numbers. He is very good at puck deflection. But that's the most of it.

Frankly we get more out of Kassian.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
He's got another year on his current deal. Let him play it out. He's still an RFA when it expires. Don't need to rush anything, he's not hurting the team with his play.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Yak has not been good enough offensively to offset his poor play in every zone this year, except when being carried by McDavid.

He has not put it all together. I think he can, but doubt it will be for this team.

Just doesn't do enough on this team to warrant a roster spot. Any big body is a wash or upgrade barring when we have massive injuries and need him for top 6 depth.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007

People like to trash various players for their try level but Pouliot is down right lazy at times imo. He gains energy in the offensive zone but is sloth like once the team loses the puck. I'd be pretty happy if we could upgrade on him but probably not due to his contract.

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
He's cleaned up his defencive play this year to the point that here's not a liability, so there's that.

He's young, cost controlled, and has a great attitude. He's a bust only if you look at his draft spot, but he's still useful to this team.

Also for all the people claiming his success is due to McDavid, remember he was just as effective last year with a waiver-wire centre in Roy. He's a competentary player to a skill centre. There's nothing wrong with that, especially when this team has 3 centres that can drive the play.

Honestly I'm a little surprised that he's never been tried on the PK. I can't see him being the one to turn down the role, and it would help him get more involved with the game.

molsonmuscle360

Jan 25, 2009
Ft. McMurray Ab
He's cleaned up his defencive play this year to the point that here's not a liability, so there's that.

He's young, cost controlled, and has a great attitude. He's a bust only if you look at his draft spot, but he's still useful to this team.

Also for all the people claiming his success is due to McDavid, remember he was just as effective last year with a waiver-wire centre in Roy. He's a competentary player to a skill centre. There's nothing wrong with that, especially when this team has 3 centres that can drive the play.

Honestly I'm a little surprised that he's never been tried on the PK. I can't see him being the one to turn down the role, and it would help him get more involved with the game.

Exactly. We have a guy who is a solid 3rd liner, who can also move up when needed at this point in his career. Maybe now with McDavid and Hall taking the heavy lifting, Yak can work with Kassian to provide energy on the third line like they have been doing lately.

There is absolutely no reason to hate on the kid at this point. He didn't live up to his draft potential, but who cares...We have McDavid to make up for our prior drafting slips.

CanadianSniper

Nov 11, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
What about trying Yak on the LW? I don't think he's been tried there yet but switching to your off wing has worked out lots in the past for different players. Voracek switching to LW on Girouxs wing so they can make a Voracek - Giroux - Simmonds Line and it has worked wonders there this year. Same with when Ovie switched to his off wing he found a resurgence. I don't know if it's a solution but seems like it could be worth a try if they haven't already?

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
I think some people are too hard on the kid.

A 35-40 point pace is pretty good for where he's been playing in the lineup(9th in EVTOI/GM).

His GF/60 in all situations is sitting at 7th on the Oilers(right behind Purcell and ahead of Eberle).

He's scoring like a 3rd liner and being paid like a 3rd liner. I don't really see the problem right now.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Exactly. We have a guy who is a solid 3rd liner, who can also move up when needed at this point in his career. Maybe now with McDavid and Hall taking the heavy lifting, Yak can work with Kassian to provide energy on the third line like they have been doing lately.

There is absolutely no reason to hate on the kid at this point. He didn't live up to his draft potential, but who cares...We have McDavid to make up for our prior drafting slips.

Yeah, talented player on a very low paying contract that is doing whats asked of him and playing a role. Something that should have happened under Eakins and didn't.
The reality is we're behind on development with this player but if the willingness to learn continues, and its clearly there, then whats the problem?

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
It's also probably worth nothing that, even though it's a small sample size(32 mins), Kassian/Letestu/Yak have a 61.4% Corsi together right now.

They've been unlucky(low SH%/SV%), but they seem to be clicking.

doulos

Oct 4, 2007

A 35-40 point pace is pretty good for where he's been playing in the lineup(9th in EVTOI/GM).

His GF/60 in all situations is sitting at 7th on the Oilers(right behind Purcell and ahead of Eberle).

He's scoring like a 3rd liner and being paid like a 3rd liner. I don't really see the problem right now.

Most of that production came with McDavid, so his actual production when playing on the third line is much worse.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Most of that production came with McDavid, so his actual production when playing on the third line is much worse.

He has the 7th highest 5v5 GF/60 away from McDavid on the team. That's 3rd line production relative to his teammates.

5v5 GF/60 Away from McDavid:
Draisaitl: 3.06
Hall: 3.02
Purcell: 2.59
RNH: 2.51
Eberle: 1.72
Pouliot: 1.62
Yakupov: 1.42
Hendricks: 1.35
Kassian: 1.28
Letestu: 1.27
Korpiksoki: 1.23
Pakarinen: 1.20

Last edited:

doulos

Oct 4, 2007
He has the 7th highest 5v5 GF/60 away from McDavid on the team. That's 3rd line production relative to his teammates.

5v5 GF/60 Away from McDavid:
Draisaitl: 3.06
Hall: 3.02
Purcell: 2.59
RNH: 2.51
Eberle: 1.72
Pouliot: 1.62
Yakupov: 1.42
Hendricks: 1.35
Kassian: 1.28
Letestu: 1.27
Korpiksoki: 1.23
Pakarinen: 1.20

So what does that translate to in terms of points over a full season assuming third line ice time? If he plays 13 minutes a night, what could be reasonably assumed he would earn in terms of points over an 82 games span?

TheRebuild

Bold as Boognish
Jun 12, 2014
Winter
One thing I don't get about Yak is, he looked his best, his first season. Every season since then he has gone a bit further down hill. Hard to believe a player would "peak" their first freaking season.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton

Lets be honest though. That pace he's on is almost entirely based on the ~10 games he played with McDavid. Otherwise he's shooting pretty damn near close to blanks.

But I do I like the line he's on. I think he fits in well with Kassian and Letestu is a smart player. I've got no issues with Yakupov playing where he is, and getting opportunity to move up when other players slump/are injured/get moved.

I only start taking issues when people start to suggest that he's in any way comparable to Jordan Eberle. Unfortunately, he's not. Just very different levels of player. And that's with or without McDavid.

I hope he continues to evolve as a player and succeeds here. I don't see much point in trading him at this stage of his career, so hopefully he finds some success here even if it's on the bottom 1/2 of the forward roster.

No matter how good/bad he is on the ice, I'll always love Yakupov's personality, work ethic and just overall attitude.

Still DRAI

Jun 15, 2013
One thing I don't get about Yak is, he looked his best, his first season. Every season since then he has gone a bit further down hill. Hard to believe a player would "peak" their first freaking season.

This is all speculation, and I certainly fall on the pro-Yak side of the fence, but I really do believe that a lot of this comes down to the Eakins effect. Certainly, Yakupov has his own responsibility to turn his game around now that he's playing under a legitimate coaching staff, but I think that the period under Eakins was nearly the worst thing that could have happened to his development.

1) Scoring goals is hugely reliant on confidence. I'd recommend James Neal's article in the Players' Tribune which really illuminated the mental aspect of goalscoring for me.

2) Yakupov isn't very emotionally resilient. When he's "on", he's almost an entirely different player than when he's "off", even outside of scoring: he hits and forechecks and makes smart passes when he's playing well, he's tentative, skates around doing nothing, and turns the puck over when he's cold. This aspect of his game falls on him to fix, however...

3) Eakins was perhaps the worst possible coach to address this. We know that he tried to act like an old school coach who got his players to follow him out of a mixture of fear and respect, but his accomplishments and grasp of the game meant that the "respect" part of that quickly flew out the window. Yak went from leading the team in goals as a rookie to being healthy scratched in his 4th (IIRC) game under Eakins, which I think is fair to assume was a blow to his confidence.

4) The biggest factor, in my eyes, is how Yakupov looked last year when playing with Derek Roy. All of a sudden, he was playing the rush well, hitting, even scoring goals again - and he said that this was not only because Roy took him aside to explain specific plays to him, but also established a friendship with Yak. It's kind of ridiculous that Derek freakin' Roy was apparently more effective coach than Eakins was.

I kind of wonder if the Eakins factor also explains how Schultz has turned into a shell of his lockout year self, but even Schultz didn't get the "one strike and you're benched" treatment.

Tom Brady

Legend of all Legends!
Feb 13, 2010
His hockey IQ is one of the worst in the league, dude is just lost out there, he's entering serious bust territory.

jukon

NHL Point Leader
Mar 17, 2011

One could argue the same about Nuge.

While were are all disappointed in Yak's inability to put it all together, there is no rush to get rid of him. He is not living up to his draft pedigree but he is still a valuable asset to the team. No need to sell low. If someone is willing to pay a premium because of his pedigree, sure, but otherwise let's hold on. Keep him on a reasonable contract and hope for the best.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Gagner and Cogliano to name a few. Cogs went on to become an effective 3rd liner once he learn to accept his role. Yak could be heading in the same path. He won't live up to his draft pedigree. That's fine.

Up the Irons

Mar 9, 2008
Canada
yeah I don't quite get that. People not valuing having talent in bottomsix.

lets also be clear here. Both Kassian and Yak are bringing better focus and effort than Pouliot and Purcell who continue to have plum roles on this club.

Pouiot yet again made the biggest bonhead play of the game taking a stupid penalty in offensive end with the Oilers unravelling in the 2nd. Another in an unending series of brutal penalties from this player that has cost us countless games. not even a mention of it though on the board.

yeah, I s'pose. Gotta get past the 1OA, or even 1st round. (not easy for me, admittedly)

Just pretend Yak was a 31st OA, and then it's easier to accept him as a 3rd line, energy guy that can get... IDK.... 10 goals?

Oiler11

Oct 6, 2006
Thought this would best go in this thread:

Through 49 Games in his rookie season, Sam Bennett has 13G, 9A, 22P and is -2.
Through Yaks first 48 games, he had 17G, 14A, 31P and was -4.

So much grief has been given to Yak, but he still had a better start than someone CP believes would have been a first overall pick in most years, and someone whom people still regard highly.

Yak is a kid whose confidence in himself was totally drained under Eakins. I'm hoping McLellan can build him back up, because there is a player there, and it is looking like it might take another org to find it. If Letestu is destined to be his center this year, then it is time to cut bait, he will never flourish in a third-line role. Thankfully, I think McLellan knows this and RNH's injury has forced his hand.

I believe Yak's been given about 78 games (48 from 2012, 30 from this year) to properly develop. I personally wouldn't give up on any draft pick after that amount of time, let alone a FOV. People watch him play and see a kid with no hockey IQ, I see a kid who is trying to do too much, trying too hard to play to his billing. Leon Draisaitl had a moment this season, where he was doing the same thing, and Taylor Hall told him on the bench to "just play his game". Leon hasn't looked back. Yak needs someone/something similar to happen to him. I hope it happens here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad