Nail Yakupov (part II)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
here is a refresher thread for those who do not recall what they said or who they wanted

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/archive/index.php/t-1160151.html

few people did like him

asher
The more I hear about Galchenyuk the more I like him. A number of talking heads have him rated above Grigor too. However, there's no way i can see Tambo using a pick that high on a guy who's only really had one season to judge him on.

NExttothemoon had him at 6

Dousedinoil liked him--but does not say he would take him before Yak or Murray

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/archive/index.php/t-1162409.html

some people liked him--but like Yak/Murray more

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/archive/index.php/t-1204235.html

KarmaPolice

Snack enthusiast
Oct 5, 2007
In Limbo
I wanted to trade the pick. I didn't want to draft anyone. After drafting Nuge and Hall in the previous drafts, I quickly learned that bringing in another 18 year old kid was not going to turn the team around. I wanted the pick traded for the best package being offered, but hopefully one that included a budding young top 4 Dman. I never got over that we didn't trade the pick, and haven't really like Yak because of it, even though it's not his fault. As rumors go (or maybe it's fact now), Mr. Katz sent the order down to draft Yakupov. He was probably more interested in the money from "Yakupov" jersey sales than the future good of the team. Still disgusted by it. This draft is a bit different, as there are two generational talents. So if we end up with a top 2 pick, you keep it because you're not going to get good enough value to trade it--unless someone makes a Lindros-like offer, but I doubt we see that happen again on that scale of over-pay.

As for his problems: he's such a spaz out there. When he has the puck, he needs to learn to chill the hell out. He always feels the need to do 10 moves in 2 seconds and seemingly dekes himself out, or moves to fast to deke out the defender. The defender is not going to react that fast, so you have to use patience and properly timed moves. And it seems almost every shot Yak takes it goes off the defender's skate. Almost never fails. He needs to learn to chill, and also time his shot to go between defender's legs. Until then I'm calling him Yak the Spaz, or just "spaz."

StoveTopStauffer

Apr 6, 2012
Pretty odd draft imo because you have a lot of guys who quickly became NHL ready and good who were between like 5 - 25ish more than a lot of the upper players.

TKB21

Oct 27, 2013
Like many people I was a guy who wanted Murray

he missed most of the 12/13 due injury
he missed 18 games in 13/14
and now he is out 4 to 6 months

while we ***** and complain about Yakupov--Murray was the guy 80% of this board wanted and 15% wanted Yakupov and the rest wanted Griffen Reinhart --anyone who says they wanted Reiley or Alex Galchenyuk you need to post the thread and unedited post to back up that statement. If you say "well I told a buddy" I will take off my fancy leather glove, slap you across the face and call ******** on unsubstantiated statement

Looking back with hindsight, that has got to be one of the worst drafts in a long time. Picks #1 and #2 both look to be beyond bad. Yakupov doesn't look like he knows how to play hockey, and Murray can't stay healthy to save his life.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Looking back with hindsight, that has got to be one of the worst drafts in a long time. Picks #1 and #2 both look to be beyond bad. Yakupov doesn't look like he knows how to play hockey, and Murray can't stay healthy to save his life.

and the one guy who came with warning tags, neon lights waving teams Alex Galchenyuk has been a shock to most who all said "Can he rebound"

The 2012 was the year of the D man

8 d and 2fw in the first ten

Jacob Trouba
Hampus Lindholm
Morgan Rielly

they all look very good

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
Like many people I was a guy who wanted Murray

he missed most of the 12/13 due injury
he missed 18 games in 13/14
and now he is out 4 to 6 months

while we ***** and complain about Yakupov--Murray was the guy 80% of this board wanted and 15% wanted Yakupov and the rest wanted Griffen Reinhart --anyone who says they wanted Reiley or Alex Galchenyuk you need to post the thread and unedited post to back up that statement. If you say "well I told a buddy" I will take off my fancy leather glove, slap you across the face and call ******** on unsubstantiated statement

:huh:

You have absolutely no idea what you're talking about

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
when I posted it the Injury reports had it 4 to 6 months--now they are saying 4 to 6 weeks--the point is--he keeps getting injured. it went from being a broken foot to a high ancle injury

I'm not arguing for or against drafting Murray over Yakupov...I'm just saying your post is extremely ignorant and biased because you failed to leave out the type of injuries Murray sustained in order to make the Yakupov pick appear better, by using Murray's injury history.

His injuries were mostly just bad luck, not due to his own in-game stupidity. Like the latest one where Ryan Johansen fell on his leg after Murray blocked a slap shot, nothing Murray can do about that. Murray is still a great pick and not injury-prone...if he had a history of concussions or if he kept putting himself into vulnerable positions that lead to injuries, then I'd be worried for the CBJ about that pick, but neither of those are the case.

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
I'm not arguing for or against drafting Murray over Yakupov...I'm just saying your post is extremely ignorant and biased because you failed to leave out the type of injuries Murray sustained in order to make the Yakupov pick appear better, by using Murray's injury history.

His injuries were mostly just bad luck, not due to his own in-game stupidity. Like the latest one where Ryan Johansen fell on his leg after Murray blocked a slap shot, nothing Murray can do about that. Murray is still a great pick and not injury-prone...if he had a history of concussions or if he kept putting himself into vulnerable positions that lead to injuries, then I'd be worried for the CBJ about that pick, but neither of those are the case.

Taylor Hall got stepped on by a skate and hit knee on knee that doesn't seem to change people's opinion on his injury history. But Murray doesn't play for the Oilers so he's not injury prone. Give me a break. Murray has basically missed a full year's worth of games since he's been in the league.

Titsuple

Jun 23, 2009
edmonton
I like Yak, he is a good kid and I think he will eventually become a 25g25a type winger. 2nd line at best though. With that being said he should be on the 3rd line next year so the Oilers should trade Yak or purcell IMO

Sweetpotato

Jan 10, 2014
Edmonton
#1 OA for Pens 2 1sts and maybe another peice, i think everyone would have benefited from that. Yak would be playing with Malkin and be properly developed and edmonton couldve drafted any of Pouliot, Trouba, Forsberg or Koekkoek with the 8th pick and picked up Matta or Subban with the 22nd pick.

I wanted Murray over yak and who knows maybe here he wouldn't have had those injuries but when hes healthy hes just so complete of a player at such a young age, reminds me a lot of how Ekblad looks right now.

Soli

Supervision Required
Sep 8, 2005
Ending this here.

Lets review some things.

- Calling someone a troll is flaming.

- Talking about infraction history is not tolerated.

- I don't appreciate people being two-faced when it comes to HFOil & Main boards.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad