NAHL Expansion 2019-2020

mk80

Jul 30, 2012

Barclay Donaldson

Feb 4, 2018
Tatooine
I really like that logo

It's the typical amateurish cartoon animal biting a stick in half you see for a youth hockey organization. It was made popular by the San Jose Sharks and now just about every peewee team on a Sunday morning is using it. This is pretty high level junior hockey, get something that's either a nice logo or has some sort of tie-in to local culture. Any serious hockey teams that use the name "Ice *Somethings*" is an automatic sign that the marketing people are either copping out or don't know what they're doing. It's a pretty automatic "amateur hour" thing whenever you see that.

mk80

Jul 30, 2012
It's the typical amateurish cartoon animal biting a stick in half you see for a youth hockey organization. It was made popular by the San Jose Sharks and now just about every peewee team on a Sunday morning is using it. This is pretty high level junior hockey, get something that's either a nice logo or has some sort of tie-in to local culture. Any serious hockey teams that use the name "Ice *Somethings*" is an automatic sign that the marketing people are either copping out or don't know what they're doing. It's a pretty automatic "amateur hour" thing whenever you see that.
To be fair in this case they are using the identity of the youth organization that plays out of the arena. But I see your point.

Barclay Donaldson

Feb 4, 2018
Tatooine
That put an end to your credibility real quick lol.

“We didn’t want to have a wolf or an ice wolf,” said team owner Stan Hubbard. “We we wanted to have our own wolf, we wanted to have a New Mexico ice wolf. We wanted to make it feel like New Mexico. We wanted it so that when it’s standing alone on a jersey or a cap, you know what it is.”

Well, they accomplished their goal. People will know what they're looking at. They'll start scratching at their corneas with forks, but it will be because they knew what they were looking at.

Reactions: mk80

JMCx4

Censorship is the Sincerest Form of Flattery
Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
Uuuuum, OK then, is it too late for me to take back what I said about the original logo & the junior high artist? :rolleyes:

JMCx4

Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
I wonder what the NAHL commissioner said when they showed that to him. ”Is it possible to revoke their franchise?”
To be fair, I doubt the NAHL offices have very strict aesthetic guidelines for individual team logos & related images. But it behooves new or rebranded teams to vet their brand imagery with their stakeholders before they ask people to make serious investments in the franchise (i.e., sponsorships & season tickets). The change for the Ice Wolves could very well have been in direct response to fan comments on-line & possibly sponsor feedback. Whatever caused the change of heart, let's all hope the new logo gains some traction within the New Mexico hockey community so the Ice Wolves owners can move on to building an organization that will prosper.

mk80

Jul 30, 2012
Based on the social media comments I've seen on their pages, the people of ABQ love the logo. My opinion when I first saw was more of "wow did a parrot explode on their logo" but has grown on me a bit since.

Reactions: JMCx4

Barclay Donaldson

Feb 4, 2018
Tatooine
Based on the social media comments I've seen on their pages, the people of ABQ love the logo. My opinion when I first saw was more of "wow did a parrot explode on their logo" but has grown on me a bit since.

Grown like a flesh eating virus? I still can't see how people will like it unless New Mexico is now actively handing out peyote to its citizens.

JMCx4

Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
Grown like a flesh eating virus? I still can't see how people will like it unless New Mexico is now actively handing out peyote to its citizens.
I'd leave the mind-altering job to the professionals. Both Walmart & Home Depot are potential sources of the "ornamental" San Pedro cactus. Mescaline for the hockey masses.

mk80

Jul 30, 2012
For me the teal is the only thing that throws me off, but it apparently connects to the NM state gem or something like that so I can see why it's there.

The Ice Hockey Dude

Ack! Thbbft!
Jul 18, 2003
Lost in the SW!
Outpost improvements underway for the New Mexico team. They
are putting the sand down - looked about done. Then ice. The Boards looked new,
although i did not get in and tour the whole building, the seating is out on the north side
also. I'm hearing they may remove some of the sub concrete for new seating and locker
rooms. More if i get it... Unconfirmed/not official rumors are they may be behind on all the work.

Also the team announced as associate coach and assistant GM - New Mexico Ice Wolves Name Keenan Kelly Assistant General Manager and Associate Head Coach

And first players to the roster - Twins!
Tom Paradise Signs Ice Wolves Tender
and
Joe Paradise Signs Ice Wolves Tender

Lastly i like the new logo, they added some New Mexico stuff to it for sure. Awesome it all is.
Be interested to see the jerseys with logo on em.

The Ice Hockey Dude

Ack! Thbbft!
Jul 18, 2003
Lost in the SW!
Renovations are underway for the New Mexico Ice Wolves' rink. Sounds like it will be a pretty a nice place to catch a game.

ABQ's 'Outpost' ice rink gets major renovation for new hockey franchise

We will see if the renovations make a difference in the "Sounds like it will be a pretty a nice place to catch a game" discussion. It's a double rink where both sides are connected (e.g. think 2 curling rinks in between)
and it was built for public staking (called cool loop) / kids hockey / adult hockey / etc.
Stated another way it's not a Jr. A arena in any way. I am interested to see how the new seating and other renovations turn out.

I've seen and played in allot of rinks / arenas in North America, Outpost was in need of new ownership
and catching up on allot of differed maintenance. Renovations I've seen so far are all positive along
these lines for sure - not sure it will ever be on a par with the Santa Anna Star Center or other
facilities around the country. I was hoping for a down town convention center arena or an upgrades to
Tingley Coliseum.

mk80

Jul 30, 2012
I don't think it'll be for this season but I'm going to link it in this thread since it's the most fitting. But in the last paragraph of this press release the Danbury Ice Arena group who owns the new FHL and NA3HL teams starting this season mentions plans of operating a future NAHL franchise.

Penalty Box to Owner’s Box - Danbury Hat Tricks

Barclay Donaldson

Feb 4, 2018
Tatooine
I don't think it'll be for this season but I'm going to link it in this thread since it's the most fitting. But in the last paragraph of this press release the Danbury Ice Arena group who owns the new FHL and NA3HL teams starting this season mentions plans of operating a future NAHL franchise.

Penalty Box to Owner’s Box - Danbury Hat Tricks

I've lived near Danbury most of my life, there's not enough of a fanbase to support both the NAHL and the Fed. Yet, they could supplement it with income from non-fanbase sources like NJ Titans, WBS Knights, and NE Generals do. I believe every one owns their rink, gets no fans, but is subsidized by the rink's.

It would be nice if the Fed would fold and they replace it with the NAHL. I expect Lewiston to draw well, both Johnstown and Jamestown do nicely, would make the East Division much stronger and increase visibility against the NCDC if they were to draw well in New England.

mk80

Jul 30, 2012
I've lived near Danbury most of my life, there's not enough of a fanbase to support both the NAHL and the Fed. Yet, they could supplement it with income from non-fanbase sources like NJ Titans, WBS Knights, and NE Generals do. I believe every one owns their rink, gets no fans, but is subsidized by the rink's.

It would be nice if the Fed would fold and they replace it with the NAHL. I expect Lewiston to draw well, both Johnstown and Jamestown do nicely, would make the East Division much stronger and increase visibility against the NCDC if they were to draw well in New England.
I agree, NAHL, FPHL, and NA3HL are all going to be tough to have in the same building, even though they own the building they would all be competing for the same fans. I would think the NAHL could do well in Elmira too. But the FPHL manages to cling on every year.

Barclay Donaldson

Feb 4, 2018
Tatooine
I agree, NAHL, FPHL, and NA3HL are all going to be tough to have in the same building, even though they own the building they would all be competing for the same fans. I would think the NAHL could do well in Elmira too. But the FPHL manages to cling on every year.

As much as I like what the NAHL is and does, the Fed has its place for a certain section of people. Elmira even going back to the UHL were fans of rock'em sock'em hockey, and that isn't the NAHL, at least it isn't anymore. That does match the Fed very well though. While the Fed has been a joke at times, and really still is, if it can get places like Elmira or Columbus that are too small or not strong enough for the EC and SP, and get another half dozen markets together, I'd be fine with that. But only markets that are too small or not strong enough. I'm talking Trenton, Dayton, Bloomington, Huntington WV, and a few others. Manchester and OKC have proved they can support teams and support them well, the Fed needs to stay far away from them.

Captain Crash

Apr 9, 2015
And now we have a seemingly sudden relocation to join the expansion. After seven years in Brookings, the Blizzard are returning to Minnesota, where the franchise originated. This time, the Blizzard will play in St. Cloud. No divisional realignment needed.

To be honest, I'm not sure competing for revenue against a popular hockey program like St. Cloud State is a wise decision.

Press release: NAHL announces relocation of Brookings Blizzard to St. Cloud, Minnesota

Barclay Donaldson

Feb 4, 2018
Tatooine
And now we have a seemingly sudden relocation to join the expansion. After seven years in Brookings, the Blizzard are returning to Minnesota, where the franchise originated. This time, the Blizzard will play in St. Cloud. No divisional realignment needed.

To be honest, I'm not sure competing for revenue against a popular hockey program like St. Cloud State is a wise decision.

Press release: NAHL announces relocation of Brookings Blizzard to St. Cloud, Minnesota

Not exactly surprised they're relocating. Had attendance of under 500 this past season, reflective of a team that had only made playoffs three times since relocating to Brookings. Very surprised they're going to St. Cloud, their NCAA team is incredibly popular and so is the local high school hockey. Alexandria, where the Blizzard are originally from, averaged double what Brookings had in attendance despite being in the NA3HL. Not too sure how this one is going to turn out, my hopes aren't very high.

mk80

Jul 30, 2012
It's an interesting move. Granite City in the NA3HL averaged about 800 per game this season, I know when our team played them up there they had over 1,000 in their building for those games and some others sprinkled throughout the season, and in fact averaged 1500 in the playoffs for 2 games. So there is some market for junior hockey in St. Cloud. I'm not sure how the Blizzard will go over as their owner is known for running things on the cheap, so much so that he made players drive through blizzard conditions to a game in Aberdeen SD this season when the team bus broke down, that resulted in 4 players involved in a serious crash (luckily all them walked away without any injuries).

Reactions: Barclay Donaldson

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad