My suggestion for a new playoff format (only slight change)

Jeremy Hronek

Aug 18, 2009
chilliwack , bc
Things that bother me with the current format:
1. There is only a small benefit of finishing higher in the playoff standings (in most match ups teams are within 10 points) In my opinion this gives the regular season less meaning).

2. The possibility that having less points is an advantage (i.e. Toronto on paper would have an easier match up points wise had they finished in the 1st wildcard spot).

3. Besides playing the worst team point wise (the difference between most of the bottom teams is usually negligible) there is no real advantage to finishing 1st.

My suggestions:
1. Top 3 teams in each division get a "buy". The next 4 teams from the conference with the most points form the play-in round (single elimination - W1 plays W4, W2 plays W3.) If the playoff start Wednesday, these games would be played Tuesday, this ensures that their opponent has a slight advantage as they are rested.

2. The 2 division winners would play the winners of the play in games (best team plays the team with the least points). The wildcard winners would be forced to play the next night against the 2 division winners, This gives the division winners a tangible advantage going into the series (I think this is deserved because of their good play in the regular season).

3. The divisions 2nd and 3rd best teams would play as normal.

4. Once a winner is crowned from each division, a potential cross-over will come into play (if the west had teams with 110 points and 108 points and the east had 109 and 101, 110 would play 101 and 109 would 108).

Improvements:
1. Division winner gets a small advantage with the wildcard team having to play back to back with travel. They were the best team in their division over 82 games so they deserve a small advantage.

2. It eliminates the Toronto vs Boston scenario where Toronto may have been better off playing in the wildcard ( finishing top 3 and not having to play in the elimination game is a huge benefit).

3. Allows the potential for 2 teams from the same conference to meet in the finals (although it would be very unlikely for EDM vs Cal match up)

Summary:
Overall my goal is just to have a larger benefit to finishing higher in the standings. With the increased parity in the NHL it has almost just become a mindset of get into the playoffs who cares what rank mentality. I want to get away from that while still keeping what makes the playoffs great, upsets can still happen obviously.

LordNeverLose

Jul 2, 2015
Picking a fight
Weird that you say the problem is the regular season doesn't matter enough, the proceed to add another round to the playoffs, therefore making the regular season even less important.

Butch 19

Go cart Mozart
May 12, 2006
Geographical Oddity
GG! - that was terrible!! and I still have no idea what the op is even proposing.

3 of 4 division teams get byes?? did I read that right? :laugh: why even call them playoffs? :huh:

edit: I was wrong - the top 3 teams in each div get a "buy," not a "bye." Now I'm intrigued.... what can they buy? :laugh:

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Top 4 teams in each division make the playoffs, no wild cards. I think you'll see this tweak made when the league expands to 32 teams.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad