My Opinion Piece on State of the Rangers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leslie Treff

Sep 18, 2005
New York
Hi all,

As you all know, the HF site went dormant on July 1, 2016. So, I am no longer "HF Staff".

Instead of working at HF, I plunged into the pool and took the job as NY Sports Day's Rangers beat writer. Season credentials and all. I will not forget my prospects bent and also will be writing prospect stories for all three NY area teams.

And to make sure my friend Andrew Gross does not get too lonely in New Jersey (he was switched over to that team for Gannett last week), I will be giving the Devils coverage too.

Here is the link to my first Rangers story of the season for the publication (which may not please many of you, but I try to tell the truth as I see it). https://www.nysportsday.com/2016/08...am-legitimate-contenders-for-the-stanley-cup/

Hope that you all are having a great summer.

Leslie

Last edited:

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
Congratulations on the new gig, Leslie. Looking forward to reading more from you.

I think you hit the nail on the head here. The lack of offense from the blue line is going to be an issue, and the team may not be able to address that this year. However, I do like the way Gorton is approaching the restructuring of the team.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
I think I generally agree with some of that though I think the lack of offensive defensemen isn't as bad as the lack of puck moving defensemen, and I'd consider them different types. McDonagh actually is pretty solid at points scoring as an offensive defenseman, but the real issue is that lots of the rest of the roster can't move the puck that well. They don't need to put up a lot of points, just move the puck effectively out of their own end and through the neutral zone, or facilitate the forwards doing so, etc. That's the real issue, at least moreso than the need for another defenseman who can put up a lot of points.

Now usually guys who put up a lot of points can also move the puck well, so sure it'd be better to have more of that type, but considering the situation the Rangers are in, they need to hit on some Stralman type bargain bin finds.

Leslie Treff

Sep 18, 2005
New York
I think I generally agree with some of that though I think the lack of offensive defensemen isn't as bad as the lack of puck moving defensemen, and I'd consider them different types. McDonagh actually is pretty solid at points scoring as an offensive defenseman, but the real issue is that lots of the rest of the roster can't move the puck that well. They don't need to put up a lot of points, just move the puck effectively out of their own end and through the neutral zone, or facilitate the forwards doing so, etc. That's the real issue, at least moreso than the need for another defenseman who can put up a lot of points.

Now usually guys who put up a lot of points can also move the puck well, so sure it'd be better to have more of that type, but considering the situation the Rangers are in, they need to hit on some Stralman type bargain bin finds.

I don't consider McDonagh an offensive defenseman, but he sure can move the puck.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
I don't consider McDonagh an offensive defenseman, but he sure can move the puck.

If he can stay healthy he can hit 40+ points IMO, which is in the range of offensive defenseman to me. But...man he's gotta stay healthy and he needs to have some better starts to his seasons. He's certainly had some bad luck with some of those injuries but missing 10 games per season plus the needed time to get back into a rhythm after an injury doesn't help

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
Congrats on the new gig, Leslie!

As for your inaugural article, I think the vast majority of us here agree with your assessment. Kudos to Gorton for the work so far - it's actually quite amazing how much work he's done to right the ship in such a short amount of time. Still one or two key changes to be made, which prevent the team from being a true contender this year. But so long as he doesn't get impatient, and waits for the moves to present themselves (and doesn't mortgage the future in making them), I think the team can be in great shape as soon as next season.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
A very good article. I agree with the main premise that the Rangers need an offensive catalyst off their blueline. At the same time I'm not sure I want to go down the road of picking up a Yandle type player by trading away young assets or another 1st round draft pick.

What I'm hoping for is that McDonagh can stay healthy and be productive offensively. That Klein can stay healthy and duplicate last season's offense and that Skjei will adjust well this year and pitch in some points too--28 points in 68 games last year for Hartford was pretty good production for a defensive oriented player in his rookie pro season. I'm wondering though who beside McDonagh of our defensemen are going to get point time on the power play and that I'm not sure of.

I do think the Rangers are much deeper this year both in forward depth and prospect depth in Hartford and that this year's Hartford team is going to have a lot more guys that can step in and play at the NHL level than last year's team. Love Graves and I think Paliotta has real potential.

Lastly Vesey is a shooter and the Rangers really need a guy like that.

emodwarf

Oct 12, 2009
Boston. Sucks.
Thanks, Leslie. As always, appreciate your insight. I agree with you, the Rangers aren't a Cup contender right now. And I'm okay with that. I hope Gorton continues to show patience and makes moves with the medium and long term in mind. If things break right, the Rangers can retool on the fly and be a serious contender in a few years. Though by then I see the Sabres being a real threat in the east.

Leslie Treff

Sep 18, 2005
New York
Well folks, it appears that in order to link to my articles, I have to become an HF "partner." Turns out you do not have to pay, as I originally thought, but you have to put an HF ad-like banner on your site. My new employer is not a blog, so the upshot is the same.

So, I will not linking to any more of my articles. Really disappointed.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad