My opinion on why it's impossible to predict a goalie prospect's future success

lwvs84

Jan 25, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
One of the tough things to predict is how mentally tough a goalie is. Unlike every other position, a goalie can single handedly lose you the game. If a young goalie has a few bad games, it could snowball if he's mentally fragile. Depending on the team, a goalie's weaknesses could be exploited or covered up. If a goalie gives up a lot of rebounds, a strong defensive team can help clear the puck and keep opposing players away from the front of the net. Conversely, if a goalie loses focus if he doesn't see a ton of shots, he may do better starting behind a weaker defensive team than other goalies would (I know both are probably bad examples, but it's been a long day and I think my point is made?).

Goalies that are big and athletic can cover up for so many mistakes just by covering up so much of the net and being able to get into a position where their big frame is in the way. Who was the last high end, sub 6 foot goalie? Quick look at some of the top starters this year, everyone is 6'2'' or taller.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
A lot of goaltender development is mental and focus related. Makes it hard to predict those qualities long term.

Newsworthy

Jan 28, 2018
USA
A goalies value is much lower than other positions so it doesn't make sense to draft them too high anymore.
So no earlier than late first rd unless that player dominates ( really stands out among the rest).
I think the days of drafting a goalie top ten (lottery pick) are gone.

Kelly

Nov 12, 2012
Is there any data of a goalies success rate (GP/W) for each round in the draft?

Kinda curious to see it, and compare it to the players.

Hi ImHFNYR

Jan 10, 2013
Wherever I'm standing atm
-
20170611mfpenssports40.jpg

Your argument was about drafting centers, not about being a disgrace to organized sports and tanking for half a decade so you luck into two of the top players in the history of the game in Malkin and Crosby. I don't even necessarily disagree with the idea of drafting centers. But this picture is a dishonest way to defend that argument

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad