Proposal: my non-sexy 2 trade suggestions

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
with my eye on the future and the hope to sign both marchand and pastrnak while adding a number 1 dman for the future

heres 2 'realistic' trade possibilities to help us this season. both targets happen to be ex-bruins

deal one gets rid of jimmy hayes. supposedly colorado is not happy with jarome iginla. i think iginla could bounce back playing with krecji. its just a 1 year contract so if it goes bad we are off the hook next season.

deal two is aimed to get us our rhs pp dman... my target is dennis wideman. again its just a 1 year commitment. i suggest they might like adam mcquaid alot. their bottom dmen are all in the final year of their contracts. i think they need a physical bottom pair dman the next couple seasons.

so its iginla and wideman in... both for 1 season only

mcquaid and hayes out... freeing around 6 mill cap hit next year to go hard after the number 1 dman we will need going forward

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
we're probably in the minority, but I'd love to bring Iginla back.

I think we need RW help now more than LW so that a guy like Vatrano can get his reps. And I'd feel a lot better about giving Vatrano a shot with Krejci if they had a veteran guy on the other side.

Vatrano-Krejci-Iginla
Marchand-Bergy-Pasta
Beleskey-Spooner-Backes

that's a real solid top 9 IMO

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com
I like that you're aiming low. By that I mean, I think looking at Wideman is more realistic than looking at Fowler.

I think that if they add a D, it will be a Wideman type. I just don't know if it will actually be Wideman. I think the guy they get needs to be able to skate well if he plays with Chara or move bodies if he plays with Krug. Wideman does neither.

DoubleAAAA

Jun 5, 2009
we're probably in the minority, but I'd love to bring Iginla back.

I think we need RW help now more than LW so that a guy like Vatrano can get his reps. And I'd feel a lot better about giving Vatrano a shot with Krejci if they had a veteran guy on the other side.

Vatrano-Krejci-Iginla
Marchand-Bergy-Pasta
Beleskey-Spooner-Backes

that's a real solid top 9 IMO

I actually really like that lineup

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
I pitched getting Iginla back on the Avs board a couple months ago, and it was pretty much unnaminous that

A) Iginla doesn't want to move again and waive his NTC.

B) They be more than happy to see Iggy gone as he's a liability 5 on 5 at this stage.

Now would he be any more a 5 on 5 liability than Jimmy Hayes? Doubtful. I'd take him back but if he won't waive than it's a moot point.

Eddie Munson

This year is my year. I can feel it. ‘86 baby!
Jul 11, 2008
Not bad. I wouldn't be opposed to either deal. I think if Wideman could have been here for McQuaid though then a deal would have already happened as Boston was linked to having interest in Wideman last year. I also doubt Iginla waives his NTC and moves for the 4th time in 5 years.

Still like you're realistic thinking.

KnightofBoston

Mar 22, 2010
The Valley of Pioneers
Subtract Mcquaid and add wideman to this team and you just became even softer while not improving the skating of your defensive corps

Iginla for Hayes I can definitely get on board with if Colorado retains salary

DaStinger

Permanent Interim
Feb 14, 2007
NB, Canada
Both of these ideas are realistic so thank you for that. Iggy was loved here, the question would be if he can play a different role this time around. Wideman coming back scares me at the thought of that bomb going right into teammates again.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Subtract Mcquaid and add wideman to this team and you just became even softer while not improving the skating of your defensive corps

Iginla for Hayes I can definitely get on board with if Colorado retains salary

Not a massive fan of Wideman but he`s more fleet of foot than Quaider, way softer though

remer

Oct 18, 2005
Gross deal. You want to get younger, not older.

This team needs a major revamp.

The Bruins need a complete overhaul on the defense. They would be smart to move Chara at the trade deadline and hopefully get a SC team going for it and overpay for his services.

Krejci might be the next player I would explore moving to find some new young talent.

nmbr_24

Jun 8, 2003
Visit site
Wideman is not as good now as he was when he played for the Bruins the first time. Back when he played in Boston he was paired with Chara, Chara isn't as good now either. Wideman is also slower now than he was then and he is also more prone to mistakes than he was then. He was this boards whipping boy when he was in his last year in Boston, I can only imagine how bad it would be now. He makes Krug look like Brad Park. Okay, I'm exaggerating but only a little.

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
Does every trade have to include Adam McQuaid? Let's trade McQuaid for picks or low rated euro prospects who will never come over because he is just so bad. It's a miracle he doesn't need double runners.

I like the idea of Iginla on a one year, not on the top line but with Spooner and Vatrano. Iginla for Hayes is a good move, but Hayes for pretty much anybody is a good move.

Calgary has their McQuaid with Egelland. If Bruins fans complain that we are paying too much for the same player in Miller and McQuaid why would Calgary do the same with Egelland and McQuaid?

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
Gross deal. You want to get younger, not older.

This team needs a major revamp.

The Bruins need a complete overhaul on the defense. They would be smart to move Chara at the trade deadline and hopefully get a SC team going for it and overpay for his services.

Krejci might be the next player I would explore moving to find some new young talent.

While I agree with you to a point you realize management and ownership don't and are determined to make the playoffs this year.

DoubleAAAA

Jun 5, 2009
Does every trade have to include Adam McQuaid? Let's trade McQuaid for picks or low rated euro prospects who will never come over because he is just so bad. It's a miracle he doesn't need double runners.

I like the idea of Iginla on a one year, not on the top line but with Spooner and Vatrano. Iginla for Hayes is a good move, but Hayes for pretty much anybody is a good move.

Calgary has their McQuaid with Egelland. If Bruins fans complain that we are paying too much for the same player in Miller and McQuaid why would Calgary do the same with Egelland and McQuaid?

I kind of agree ... swapping the returns actually seems like a better fit McQuaid for Iggy, Hayes for Wideman. That said I don't think either comes back here.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Ah yes the annual summer time thread where it's suggested they improve by bringing back former players. Good times. Good times. Except for the fact that Wideman was a trainwreck last time, and now makes a ton more. And Iggy is 39? So the answer is to bring in 2 aging retreads to eat up just under $11 mill in cap space? Yeah, no. Not a logical solution to the problem. Literally the definition of a band aid but one that is declining by the day.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Ah yes the annual summer time thread where it's suggested they improve by bringing back former players. Good times. Good times. Except for the fact that Wideman was a trainwreck last time, and now makes a ton more. And Iggy is 39? So the answer is to bring in 2 aging retreads to eat up just under $11 mill in cap space? Yeah, no. Not a logical solution to the problem. Literally the definition of a band aid but one that is declining by the day.

2009 Wideman was a pretty good player.

2010 Wideman was a trainwreck

Kinda like 2015 Wideman played well.

Then the 2016 Wideman went of the rails.

Who knows which player your getting.

That being said, if someone said to me I'll trade you 1 year of Iginla and Wideman for 2 years of Hayes and 3 years of McQuaid, I'd take the I year of Iggy and Wideman. It's a gamble, but given your basically trading away a spare forward (Hayes could easily end up spending most of the year in the pressbox if he gets bumped by a younger forward) and a 3rd pairing D, and clearing cap space for 2017-18, I think I'd make that move just for the future cap space alone.

Doesn't matter, Iginla isn't moving (at least not yet, who knows at the deadline if Colorado are out of it) and Wideman should be considered a last resort if all other options fail. And by last resort I mean at next year's deadline if nothing else materializes and none of the young D like Colin Miller step forward. Sweeney doesn't need to waste his cap space prior to training camp just because he can.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
2009 Wideman was a pretty good player.

2010 Wideman was a trainwreck

Kinda like 2015 Wideman played well.

Then the 2016 Wideman went of the rails.

Who knows which player your getting.

That being said, if someone said to me I'll trade you 1 year of Iginla and Wideman for 2 years of Hayes and 3 years of McQuaid, I'd take the I year of Iggy and Wideman. It's a gamble, but given your basically trading away a spare forward (Hayes could easily end up spending most of the year in the pressbox if he gets bumped by a younger forward) and a 3rd pairing D, and clearing cap space for 2017-18, I think I'd make that move just for the future cap space alone.

Doesn't matter, Iginla isn't moving (at least not yet, who knows at the deadline if Colorado are out of it) and Wideman should be considered a last resort if all other options fail. And by last resort I mean at next year's deadline if nothing else materializes and none of the young D like Colin Miller step forward. Sweeney doesn't need to waste his cap space prior to training camp just because he can.

Yeah, but nobody is going to give you anything of value for Hayes and McQuaid as they're already overpaid, relatively useless, and the virtual definition of dime a dozen players. Guys you can find literally anywhere.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Yeah, but nobody is going to give you anything of value for Hayes and McQuaid as they're already overpaid, relatively useless, and the virtual definition of dime a dozen players. Guys you can find literally anywhere.

Nor is anybody going to give up much of value for Iginla or Wideman at this stage.

All 4 are dime-a-dozen guys here in 2016.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Nor is anybody going to give up much of value for Iginla or Wideman at this stage.

All 4 are dime-a-dozen guys here in 2016.

Yep. And the irony is that even if they were able to move McQuaid and Hayes for something of value, some random poster would then suggest that they reacquire them 2 years later to solve their issues...:laugh:

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Yep. And the irony is that even if they were able to move McQuaid and Hayes for something of value, some random poster would then suggest that they reacquire them 2 years later to solve their issues...:laugh:

C'mon, 2-3 years from now the Bruins won't have any issues.

Haven't you seen their prospect pool. :sarcasm:

nfld77

Aug 13, 2007
Newfoundland
with my eye on the future and the hope to sign both marchand and pastrnak while adding a number 1 dman for the future

heres 2 'realistic' trade possibilities to help us this season. both targets happen to be ex-bruins

deal one gets rid of jimmy hayes. supposedly colorado is not happy with jarome iginla. i think iginla could bounce back playing with krecji. its just a 1 year contract so if it goes bad we are off the hook next season.

deal two is aimed to get us our rhs pp dman... my target is dennis wideman. again its just a 1 year commitment. i suggest they might like adam mcquaid alot. their bottom dmen are all in the final year of their contracts. i think they need a physical bottom pair dman the next couple seasons.

so its iginla and wideman in... both for 1 season only

mcquaid and hayes out... freeing around 6 mill cap hit next year to go hard after the number 1 dman we will need going forward

Hey Alberta-Oreilly-fan, I may be wrong but I think this is the 1st time I responded to a thread you began. Thanks brother for all the awesome posts over the years..You're a true grit Bruin fan and that's something we certainly have in common..

AOR, my lone concern is the absence of Mcquaid's physical play. We're not a very physical team now and Wideman didn't work out too well here before, nor is he physical unless you're a linesman/referee..Bringing Iggy back for just the 1 season and getting rid of Hayes is 2 good things..I don't want Hayes in a Bruin jersey unless he can turn his game around.

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada

i for one never ever say macquaid is useless... i just dont believe hes a top paid dman AND i know for a fact hes paid too much to be a bottom pair dman. if we have a hole in our middle pair for a big stay home guy with grit... macquaid is very useful.

same can be said for kevan miller.

my only issue is we dont need both guys. down the road when macquaid is finishing up his career i could easily imagine hed be a very good 6/7 guy. he has great character and sticks up for his teammates.

personally id miss macquaid alot after dealing him.

jimmy hayes on the other hand is addition by subtraction at this point and i doubt any of us ever suggest bringing him back.

as for all the crap wideman gets... he clearly doesnt suck. several gms have paid him millions of dollars. several coaches have played him first pair mins.

he isnt great defensively... he doesnt play very physical... but he definitely doesnt suck. hes inconsistent and doesnt look like hes giving 100% so fans get frustrated with him but he doesnt suck.

as for iginla and his nmc... i can think of 2-3 guys in history that actually refused to move period. coloroda is in shakeup mold now... roy has left. was iginla friends with roy?

we know iginla signed with boston as an ufa... we know he was willing to resign if we could afford him. im not convinced he would refuse a return.

but honestly my heart isnt set on iginla. i mostly just want to get rid of hayes.

dealing hayes for a 7th rounder and then signing hudler to a 1 year ufa deal would suit me just fine too.

i want to get rid of macquaid and hayes contracts for next season without bringing in a new contract because i think we have kids ready to step up next season and we need the cap room for spooner, pastrnak, marchand, and a good ufa dman

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad