29. Ottawa Senators – Fischer
30. Detroit Red Wings - Vasyunov

Feel free to comment.

Last edited:

mercury

Mar 10, 2003
South Philly/SoCal
Visit site
I don't know enough to criticize the first round overall, but I doubt the Flyers take a goalie in the first three or four rounds A) because we almost never go; and B) because we need defensemen with NHL potential.

Captain Ron

Jun 9, 2003
Gardnerville, NV
Visit site
As much as I would love the Kings to get Okposo....I really can't see the Islanders passing on him to get Sanguinetti. But stranger things happen in the actual draft so......who knows.....and LeftKinger.....don't let those other posters say "No way will my team do that".....because they are the first ones to say "What The Puck"....when their teams make a pick.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
not a bad first go at a mock draft at all.

as for Sanguinetti being so high.... stranger things have happened (Blake Wheeler at #5 anybody?)

J17 Vs Proclamation

Oct 29, 2004
Reading.
mercury said:
I don't know enough to criticize the first round overall, but I doubt the Flyers take a goalie in the first three or four rounds A) because we almost never go; and B) because we need defensemen with NHL potential.

Now i know little about the Flyers system, so i don't know what goaltending prospects you have between the pipe. However, the Flyers have often been let down by average goaltending in recent years, and that is something which needs to be fixed. Bernier is a very good prospect.

Checker*

I like Fischer, but I can't see the Blues going defender/defender with their two first rounders. Too many holes up front.

Ted Hoffman

The other Rick Zombo
Dec 15, 2002
Checker said:
I like Fischer, but I can't see the Blues going defender/defender with their two first rounders. Too many holes up front.
They'd take the forward at 31, and there's still several on the board at that point to choose from. I can easily see them taking two blueliners with those first three picks.

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
MattyW said:
Isles have their share of offensive minded d-men (Campoli, Gervais, Gerbeshkov), I would like them to take one of the forward players preferbly Brassard or Okposo.
key phrase there

sarcastro

Jul 28, 2005
On top of Wheeler, who thought Dubnyk or Setogucci would go as high as they did. Or look at the NFL and Whitner this year. When a team can't trade down and it wants a player, they'll pick them, no matter what slot they're in.

Draft position matters the least in hockey of all professional sports. Football, baseball and basketball all have some form of salary slotting. In hockey it's just "eh, I'm really good so I have leverage on you, give me the rookie max" or "please sign me, I'll take less!"

Checker*

Irish Blues said:
They'd take the forward at 31, and there's still several on the board at that point to choose from. I can easily see them taking two blueliners with those first three picks.

If this happens I for one would not be very happy. If we take Erik Johnson at #1, I see no sense in taking a project defenseman over a project forward with the holes we have up front. If we trade down and get Staal, then I could see taking Fischer at 27.

RightKinger

Apr 25, 2006
Los Angeles
J17ster said:
Now i know little about the Flyers system, so i don't know what goaltending prospects you have between the pipe. However, the Flyers have often been let down by average goaltending in recent years, and that is something which needs to be fixed. Bernier is a very good prospect.
This is exactly what I was thinking.

RightKinger

Apr 25, 2006
Los Angeles
Checker said:
If this happens I for one would not be very happy. If we take Erik Johnson at #1, I see no sense in taking a project defenseman over a project forward with the holes we have up front. If we trade down and get Staal, then I could see taking Fischer at 27.
I originally had you guys takng Emmerton at 27 and Fischer at 29 but switched the two. I dont know why I did it but I did. I will switch it back.

mercury

Mar 10, 2003
South Philly/SoCal
Visit site
LeftKinger said:
This is exactly what I was thinking.

I know what you mean, but A) it looks like Nitty is the guy for the short- and medium-term; B) we have Beauchemin and Houle in the pipe (Beauchemin looks good; Houle = less so); and C) it is just an organizational philosophy that we do not take goaltenders that early. It's been since Oullet and Pelltier since we have gone that way. Besides, Bernier would not help our goaltending now, since he will not jump to the NHL immediately (especially not on our team). The pick is not bad (from what I understand, Bernier has #1 written all over him), but "The Flyers always have mediocre goaltending" is not a good reason for us to use that pick on Bernier right there. Look for a defenseman.

weaponomega

Feb 9, 2004
Calgary, Alberta
Kvashinator12 said:
there is just zero need for him...They will not take him that high, they are in desperate need for a big center or scoring winger, and Sanguinetti is a lot like gervais, campoli, grebeshkov.

In the first round teams do not draft by need they draft by best player available. When these guys develop, team needs will most likely change. If the Isles scouts feel Sanguinetti is the best player available at 7 then they take him at 7.

I don't know who the Isles think the best player available is, at 7 I don't think it's Sanguinetti, but I'm pretty sure they won't draft a player based on need.

mercury

Mar 10, 2003
South Philly/SoCal
Visit site
katodelder said:
well then that explains it :)

Damn codeine cough syrup. :eek: Anyway, I never quite understood the reasoning, but Clarke just does not take goaltenders early. I guess that is not too weird, since there has always been a bias against using high picks on them, but he is very consistent. It's not out of the realm of possibility, but I really expect to see a mobile defenseman taken first.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad