My Final Top 50 OHL Players for the 2018 NHL Draft

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
You most definitely could be right. But this is also a different era where 5'8 forwards go in the first round and 6'7 defenders go in the 7th. 10 years ago, Douglas would have definitely been a top 60 pick? No, I'm not as convinced with the game being built on speed and puck movement. That's not to say that there isn't a place for a guy like Douglas. It's just that I think teams are less fascinated with players of his ilk. They're more likely to take a chance on a smaller skilled player, rather than a big guy who could grow into his skill set. Know what I mean?
agreed, different era and he goes top 60...but he is still such an enticing player, I am anxious to see where he falls come draft day...thanks as always!

Michael Farkas

Celebrate 68
Jun 28, 2006
NYC
www.hockeyprospect.com
Definitely interesting to see your take on Chisholm. It's a first for me, as well as anyone I've talked to believe his mobility to be his one true asset. Too bad the season is over now, otherwise I could go back and try to look at what you're saying.

For me, there are times where he has trouble exiting his own zone and there appears to be a lack of breakaway speed/mobility. But I have always chalked it up to an indecisiveness with the puck. It looks like he doesn't know what he wants to do with his exits at times and can give off a perception of poor skating ability. Gets caught in between wanting to skate it out at full speed and looking to make a stretch pass, so he goes at a slower pace.

Watching him without the puck, I've always noticed how good his lateral and backwards mobility is and really is his only saving grace in his own end.

I went back to some of the notes that I have prior to his OHL draft year too (from scouting agencies like TheScout) and all point to his mobility being a major plus.

But maybe you're on to something, especially if Mike Oke went along with it. Only other thing I can think of is if you saw him primarily in the second half after his ankle injury. Perhaps that was the cause of some mechanical issues?

First, I must apologize as I tried to just slap something together as fast as I could...it was done with good faith and intellectual honesty.

I put together this short clip pack from Barrie vs. PBO from March...just some first period shifts of each of them just to get a feel for the skating technique a little bit. And you tell me...if you want (no obligation, of course), just doing it for conversation and interest...

Now, maybe it's not a fair comparison because Keane - pending more exposure to him, looks like a top 50 pick to me at a glance (the first time I saw him, I watched him play two shifts and immediately went "ok, this is an NHL player")...I'm not ready to commit to that number yet, but I'm thinking that's where he's going to be despite (I think) being a re-entry...and Keane is a terrific skater. But maybe that is fair because there's a lot of superlatives thrown at Dec-city and I don't know that I see that...

So I got a few different stride sequences in here (again, as best I could in 30 minutes or less haha)...look at the way Keane really digs in, look at the power in every stride. Chisholm's isn't nearly as natural, knee bend isn't deep, he's not even really seated on his skates very well...he's stiff and kind of upright. He shows off a little better lateral mobility maybe than I originally give him credit for, maybe the edgework is ok...but watch the first steps as they each try to join a rush somewhere in these sequences...Chisholm never gets in...Keane can lead the rush. I know these teams are at different points and have different tactics going on...but I just don't think Chisholm can do it right now.

Watch Keane's feet, they're always moving...he's already generating that potential energy to use...watch how often Chisholm comes to a flat-footed stop.

I know Chisholm has to take on Svechnikov while back skating, which is a tough spot for anyone in the league...but he gets dummied by him. Meanwhile, there's a sequence where Keane starts out in the NZ gets over and then under one of the Petes (SDA maybe? If so, that's no easy task)...so not only does he cover the ground, but he's in position to do more than just commit a reaching foul...he's poised to get up and underneath that attacker and dislodge them from the puck...and then he can turn and get it...

And it's a shame, because I legitimately like Chisholm's dev...I like the development arc that he's showing...I just don't get the skating infatuation with him...and to be clear, I'm alone (well, his GM gave me tacit agreement, but I don't count that because he might have just been being polite and thinking I was a complete jackwagon...) in thinking this...but I've also never been dissuaded by that haha...

Reactions: NotProkofievian

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
ohlprospects.blogspot.com
First, I must apologize as I tried to just slap something together as fast as I could...it was done with good faith and intellectual honesty.

I put together this short clip pack from Barrie vs. PBO from March...just some first period shifts of each of them just to get a feel for the skating technique a little bit. And you tell me...if you want (no obligation, of course), just doing it for conversation and interest...

Now, maybe it's not a fair comparison because Keane - pending more exposure to him, looks like a top 50 pick to me at a glance (the first time I saw him, I watched him play two shifts and immediately went "ok, this is an NHL player")...I'm not ready to commit to that number yet, but I'm thinking that's where he's going to be despite (I think) being a re-entry...and Keane is a terrific skater. But maybe that is fair because there's a lot of superlatives thrown at Dec-city and I don't know that I see that...

So I got a few different stride sequences in here (again, as best I could in 30 minutes or less haha)...look at the way Keane really digs in, look at the power in every stride. Chisholm's isn't nearly as natural, knee bend isn't deep, he's not even really seated on his skates very well...he's stiff and kind of upright. He shows off a little better lateral mobility maybe than I originally give him credit for, maybe the edgework is ok...but watch the first steps as they each try to join a rush somewhere in these sequences...Chisholm never gets in...Keane can lead the rush. I know these teams are at different points and have different tactics going on...but I just don't think Chisholm can do it right now.

Watch Keane's feet, they're always moving...he's already generating that potential energy to use...watch how often Chisholm comes to a flat-footed stop.

I know Chisholm has to take on Svechnikov while back skating, which is a tough spot for anyone in the league...but he gets dummied by him. Meanwhile, there's a sequence where Keane starts out in the NZ gets over and then under one of the Petes (SDA maybe? If so, that's no easy task)...so not only does he cover the ground, but he's in position to do more than just commit a reaching foul...he's poised to get up and underneath that attacker and dislodge them from the puck...and then he can turn and get it...

And it's a shame, because I legitimately like Chisholm's dev...I like the development arc that he's showing...I just don't get the skating infatuation with him...and to be clear, I'm alone (well, his GM gave me tacit agreement, but I don't count that because he might have just been being polite and thinking I was a complete jackwagon...) in thinking this...but I've also never been dissuaded by that haha...

Absolutely fantastic that you put that together.

With Keane, I'm with you and a huge fan (I ranked him ahead of Durzi in my re-entry rankings). I think he's one of the better skating defenders in the OHL, so you are correct that it's a tough comparison for Chisholm.

On that Svechnikov blow by, I think it had more to do with just poor defensive play by him, than a lack of skating ability. Stopped moving his feet and Svechnikov is one of the elite skaters in the league. You stop moving your feet and he's blowing by you, regardless of your lateral or backwards fluidity.

But it's interesting and I see the things that you're talking about. Perhaps we do need to re-evaluate Chisholm's ability as a puck mover. Like I said, he's not a top 3 round prospect for me. Would be interesting to hear the NHL Central Scouting guys talk about Chisholm and his skating ability. They are the ones that have been high on him all year and I know it's because they like his potential as a puck mover.

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
agreed, different era and he goes top 60...but he is still such an enticing player, I am anxious to see where he falls come draft day...thanks as always!

He is truly one of the draft's biggest wildcards IMO. His draft placement will tell us a lot about how much NHL GM's think the game has changed...or not. Could see him going anywhere from round 2 to round 7.

ProspectsSTC

Jul 12, 2014
Great writeups as always, Brock.

I agree with a lot of the things you said about Thomas, but I think as the season went on and the playoffs began he was a lot more confident in using his shot, which really showed. He could get a quicker release for sure, but he has a very accurate shot and there are times that he drags the puck back and you just know it's going to be in the back of the net. Definitely needs to work on his board play, I think a lot of people are down on him because of the U18s, but he was inexplicably playing in front of the net on that horrific powerplay.

For Merkley I think I would probably avoid him unless I had a lot of 2nd round picks (like Montreal) to gamble with. Amazing skating and great vision (can make passes through seams that no other player would even see), but tries to force plays a lot and once something doesn't work out for him he either loses his temper or becomes apathetic to the game happening around him.

I'm glad you're high on Hayton though, he really strikes me as someone who gets typecast as a certain kind of player because of his production and build, but he always impresses me with his ability to find holes in defensive coverage and his puck skills when I watch him. I think his deferring to teammates is hopefully just a product of the sheer talent surrounding him, and that once he is given the opportunity, he'll run with it.

Reactions: PuckLife

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
Great writeups as always, Brock.

I agree with a lot of the things you said about Thomas, but I think as the season went on and the playoffs began he was a lot more confident in using his shot, which really showed. He could get a quicker release for sure, but he has a very accurate shot and there are times that he drags the puck back and you just know it's going to be in the back of the net. Definitely needs to work on his board play, I think a lot of people are down on him because of the U18s, but he was inexplicably playing in front of the net on that horrific powerplay.

For Merkley I think I would probably avoid him unless I had a lot of 2nd round picks (like Montreal) to gamble with. Amazing skating and great vision (can make passes through seams that no other player would even see), but tries to force plays a lot and once something doesn't work out for him he either loses his temper or becomes apathetic to the game happening around him.

I'm glad you're high on Hayton though, he really strikes me as someone who gets typecast as a certain kind of player because of his production and build, but he always impresses me with his ability to find holes in defensive coverage and his puck skills when I watch him. I think his deferring to teammates is hopefully just a product of the sheer talent surrounding him, and that once he is given the opportunity, he'll run with it.

All extremely valid points.

I think the big thing about Merkley for me is, for all his talent, I wonder if he will be able to adapt to the structure of the NHL game. The lack of progression in his game thus far speaks volumes to his inability to adapt to the demands and criticisms of his coaches. At the NHL level, will he be able to utilize his offensive talents within the system that said team is employing?

Reactions: ProspectsSTC

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad