My dream new uhl

JMCx4

Censorship is the Sincerest Form of Flattery
Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
Sorry, I guess I must've dreamed this post ...
The SPHL website doesn't list anyone in charge at the league level of sales or marketing, so having the president/VP negotiate those kind of deals seems to be the only option there.

Mar 5, 2003
Worcester, MA
210sportsblog.com
Exactly where in that post does it day there's no marketing department?

The post says the league website doesn't list someone as running a sales/marketing department, but that's not even close to the same thing as saying there isn't one.

Nightsquad

Jan 25, 2014
Nobody in their right minds would leave the ECHL to drop down a league unless your like Evansville and it makes sense for economic reasons or proximity by geographical location. Especially if the FHL people have their mitts behind this UHL re-launch. If the league has people behind it with both FHL and past UHL ties then maybe things will be in good faith and work out okay. I am all up for smaller independent minor pro league with a reasonable launch of 6 to 8 teams and 30/30 game schedule. Its going to be interesting to see how things play out at the higher levels. If Vancouver pulls their franchise from Utica that's another tightening of the northeast market for teams. Its obvious Manchester and Norfolk are not exactly embracing the ECHL, and its anyone's guess how Adirondack will make out. Many in these former AHL markets are revolting against the ECHL and both Worcester and Portland will need regional rivalries.

mk80

Jul 30, 2012
Nobody in their right minds would leave the ECHL to drop down a league unless your like Evansville and it makes sense for economic reasons or proximity by geographical location. Especially if the FHL people have their mitts behind this UHL re-launch. If the league has people behind it with both FHL and past UHL ties then maybe things will be in good faith and work out okay. I am all up for smaller independent minor pro league with a reasonable launch of 6 to 8 teams and 30/30 game schedule. Its going to be interesting to see how things play out at the higher levels. If Vancouver pulls their franchise from Utica that's another tightening of the northeast market for teams. Its obvious Manchester and Norfolk are not exactly embracing the ECHL, and its anyone's guess how Adirondack will make out. Many in these former AHL markets are revolting against the ECHL and both Worcester and Portland will need regional rivalries.

The ECHL Northeast division is lacking so far when it comes to attendance, Adirondak, Manchester, Reading all have attendance averages in the mid to low 2k range this season so far, Brampton is barely above 3, Wheeling historically has been low but they are at least reporting higher figures so far. And we know what happened to Elmira, although that situation was aided more with ownership and arena issues because a figure in the 2,000s was like a 90% capacity of their 3k seat arena.

royals119

Jun 12, 2006
West Lawn, PA
The ECHL Northeast division is lacking so far when it comes to attendance, Adirondak, Manchester, Reading all have attendance averages in the mid to low 2k range this season so far, Brampton is barely above 3, Wheeling historically has been low but they are at least reporting higher figures so far. And we know what happened to Elmira, although that situation was aided more with ownership and arena issues because a figure in the 2,000s was like a 90% capacity of their 3k seat arena.
It's a little early to be analyzing attendance. I don't know about the other teams, but Reading didn't play at all on opening weekend. They had four games so far, a Saturday afternoon game at 4:00 PM (Moved up due to the Penn State/Ohio State game being that night with PS having a chance at being ranked #1), two Sunday games and a Thursday game. At least give it a few weeks and some Friday/Saturday evening games before you hit the panic button.

Reactions: JMCx4

Nightsquad

Jan 25, 2014
It's a little early to be analyzing attendance. I don't know about the other teams, but Reading didn't play at all on opening weekend. They had four games so far, a Saturday afternoon game at 4:00 PM (Moved up due to the Penn State/Ohio State game being that night with PS having a chance at being ranked #1), two Sunday games and a Thursday game. At least give it a few weeks and some Friday/Saturday evening games before you hit the panic button.

I don't think anyone is analyzing it yet, the basis of my post was to just discuss the lukewarm response in former AHL markets that have become ECHL markets. I think Worcester was right to wait a little, likewise Portland as well. Attendance in all the markets should rise well after the holidays, too much going on in the northeast until then.

CrazyEddie20

Hey RuZZia - Cut Your Losses and Go Home.
Jun 26, 2007
Back of a cop car
I don't think anyone is analyzing it yet, the basis of my post was to just discuss the lukewarm response in former AHL markets that have become ECHL markets. I think Worcester was right to wait a little, likewise Portland as well. Attendance in all the markets should rise well after the holidays, too much going on in the northeast until then.

Way too early to analyze attendance, especially in new markets.

Secondly, Adirondack, Worcester, Reading, and Manchester have much lower travel costs due to a large number of day trips. Day trips mean no hotel rooms, less per diem, and lower bus costs.

mk80

Jul 30, 2012

Yes, I agree the point of my post and I didn't really communicate it well is that division has had teams that have been towards the bottom of league attendance figures in the past. And even in the young season (other factors aside) that division does have the lower numbers as a whole. But yes you're correct in saying that the current figures shouldn't be counted as set in stone and there are a lot of other factors in number of games played, etc. that affect those figures, and the travel budgets.

royals119

Jun 12, 2006
West Lawn, PA

That is an interesting lease deal they have. Komets pay $1 per year and the building pays the Komets up to $65,000 if they meet attendance goals (basically giving them a percentage of the food and parking in a simplified way). It doesn't say how the advertising is divided. Most times the team gets to sell the ads on the boards and ice surface and the building retains the other signing within the bowl and on the concourse. If they have the same arrangement, and the team also gets to keep 100% of merchandise sales, that is a very favorable deal indeed.

JMCx4

Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
... It doesn't say how the advertising is divided. Most times the team gets to sell the ads on the boards and ice surface and the building retains the other signing within the bowl and on the concourse. ...
Whichever party gets the lion's share of on-ice & board advert revenues at ACWMC is sitting on a gold mine ...

FtWayneKomets.Article1.PaulSwaney_preview-1.jpeg

Nightsquad

Jan 25, 2014
Whichever party gets the lion's share of on-ice & board advert revenues at ACWMC is sitting on a gold mine ...

FtWayneKomets.Article1.PaulSwaney_preview-1.jpeg
That is terrible, way too much on ice advertising. It looks cluttered IMO and has to annoy those out on the ice. I don't like it at all, find other areas to advertise like the bathroom walls. Reminds me of Euro hockey, advertising all over the ice, uniforms, helmets, you name it. Advertise anywhere but uniforms, along the glass, or on the ice. Have one less front office staffer, or make it up someplace, the fan experience should be top notch and I don't go to the games for advertising.

joshyhockey26

Dec 6, 2015
st louis
That is terrible, way too much on ice advertising. It looks cluttered IMO and has to annoy those out on the ice. I don't like it at all, find other areas to advertise like the bathroom walls. Reminds me of Euro hockey, advertising all over the ice, uniforms, helmets, you name it. Advertise anywhere but uniforms, along the glass, or on the ice. Have one less front office staffer, or make it up someplace, the fan experience should be top notch and I don't go to the games for advertising.
Advertising is incredibly important in sports now sadly. This will be the new norm. For better or worse.

mk80

Jul 30, 2012

The lower you go into the minor leagues the more and more advertising you'll see, may not look the best but it certainly is a revenue source.

JMCx4

Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
Advertising is incredibly important in sports now sadly. This will be the new norm. For better or worse.
The Frankes in Ft. Wayne have "decorated" their ice surface like that for many years. The steep-sided upper seating bowl at the War Memorial Coliseum offers maximum advertising exposure to the fans. I was annoyed by it when I first saw images, but it's become a novelty for anyone who has followed the Komets for awhile. Players have been asked about the possible distraction, and have said they "get used to it." Similar reactions have been reported for the more recent "Paint The Ice" promotions held by several NHL & minor pro hockey teams over the last several years, and all those scribbles look like they'd be even more distracting to me.

cut.jpg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad