Queen
Metric
Interpol
Judas Priest
Beasties
RATM
Joy Division

Missus thinks I need to cheer up...
I told her we swept the pens in four, THIS IS AS GOOD AS IT GETS!

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
The real question to ask here is...If you only had 10 albums to listen to for the rest of time, what would they be? I'd have a hard time choosing, but I'd be choosing from ones on this list:

• Disintegration - The Cure
  • When The Pawn... - Fiona Apple
  • OK Computer - Radiohead
  • The Fragile - Nine Inch Nails
  • Ritual de lo Habitual - Jane's Addition
  • Strangeland - Keane
  • Simple Things - Zero 7
  • Inception - Hans Zimmer
  • Violator - Depeche Mode
  • Black Crowes - Amorica
  • Ghost Stories - Coldplay
  • The Joshua Tree - U2
  • Optical Race - Tangerine Dream
  • In celebration of Life - Yanni
  • Aliens - James Horner
  • Dark Side of the Moon - Pink Floyd
  • Agaetis Byrjun - Sigur Ros
  • Dirt - Alice In Chains
  • Evil Empire - Rage Against The Machine

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Wow....

4 pages in an no fans of Nine Inch Nails or Radiohead?

I like both, more Radiohead than NIN, but I haven't enjoyed a bunch of Radiohead's newer stuff. Some of NIN's Ghosts stuff is pretty good though.

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
The real question to ask here is...If you only had 10 albums to listen to for the rest of time, what would they be? I'd have a hard time choosing, but I'd be choosing from ones on this list:

• Strangeland - Keane
  • Simple Things - Zero 7
  • Black Crowes - Amorica
  • The Joshua Tree - U2
  • Aliens - James Horner
  • Dirt - Alice In Chains
Fiona Apple, Coldplay and Yanni. My god. I hope that is a joke.

Bones45

Dec 7, 2005
N/A
LOL. :)

I'm going to a conference and Lionel Richie is the entertainment one night. Also why I'm seeing Aerosmith. Don't really care for either but at least have a smidgen of respect for their musical abilities and legacy to check 'em out once. Especially since it is being spoon fed to me.

I've always thought as Aerosmith being the US version of the Stones....

Just with far cheesier songs and less talent.

Bones45

Dec 7, 2005
N/A
  • Alan Parsons Project
  • The Crusaders
  • Gil ScottHeron
  • The O'Jays
  • Hall & Oates
  • Player
  • O.C.
  • The Adolescents
  • Shades of Brooklyn

Lol. Alan Parsons Project...as of "Eye in the Sky" fame?

Do they have a body of work I should know about? Or is this like Doshells love of Lionel?

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
I like both, more Radiohead than NIN, but I haven't enjoyed a bunch of Radiohead's newer stuff. Some of NIN's Ghosts stuff is pretty good though.

I think most Radiohead fans would say that The Bends or OK Computer are their apex, but The King of Limbs was a great album - Especially the B sides. To wit - Check out The Daily Mail, Staircase, and Supercollider. If those 3 songs actually made the album then that would be my favorite Radiohead album.

As for NIN...The Downward Spiral is simply genius. If you're not in that aggressive of a mood then The Fragile is more for you. One could easily argue that The Fragile is more superior, but both are masterpieces if you ask me.

PhysicalGraffiti

Bolts STM
Jul 26, 2007
NY to TB

• Strangeland - Keane
  • Simple Things - Zero 7
  • Black Crowes - Amorica
  • The Joshua Tree - U2
  • Aliens - James Horner
  • Dirt - Alice In Chains

Wow this is tough, but I'll give it a shot.

Physical Graffiti- Led Zeppelin
Houses of the Holy- Led Zeppelin
Wish You Were Here- Pink Floyd
Rescue & Restore- August Burns Red
Messengers- August Burns Red
Everything Goes Numb- Streetlight Manifesto
Mos Def and Talib Kweli are Blackstar- Mos Def & Talib Kweli
Paranoid- Black Sabbath
Midnight Marauders- A Tribe Called Quest
They're Only Chasing Safety- Underoath

That's off the top of my head, I suppose it could change, but in terms of albums front to back those are all on there. Some of my favorite songs aren't on those, but that's just going with albums.

Reactions: periferal

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
I think most Radiohead fans would say that The Bends or OK Computer are their apex, but The King of Limbs was a great album - Especially the B sides. To wit - Check out The Daily Mail, Staircase, and Supercollider. If those 3 songs actually made the album then that would be my favorite Radiohead album.

As for NIN...The Downward Spiral is simply genius. If you're not in that aggressive of a mood then The Fragile is more for you. One could easily argue that The Fragile is more superior, but both are masterpieces if you ask me.

Which Radiohead album is my favorite changes depending on the mood. I really enjoy Hail to the Thief, and that might be my favorite album. A Moon Shaped Pool was pretty meh for me and never hooked me in. In Rainbows and King of Limbs both have their moments of greatness and then some flatter stuff. I think Pablo Honey, and the song Creep especially, are pretty overrated. They fit the time it was made in though I guess.

NIN, Pretty Hate Machine is probably my favorite still, but I do love a lot of what is on Downward Spiral (Closer, March of the Pigs, Eraser). With_Teeth has some nice tunes too. Year Zero is where he lost me a bit.

Quickdraw2828

Aug 2, 2011
Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon

Bruce Springsteen -The Wild, the Innocent and the E Street Shuffle

Bruce Springsteen - Born to Run

Black Sabbath - Heaven and Hell

Neil Young - Decade

Zep - Physical Graffiti

Ac/Dc - Let There Be Rock

Allman Brothers - Live at Filmore

Bob Seger - Live Bullet

Stones- Sticky Fingers

majormet

Nov 12, 2009
Dix Hills, NY

• Strangeland - Keane
  • Simple Things - Zero 7
  • Black Crowes - Amorica
  • The Joshua Tree - U2
  • Aliens - James Horner
  • Dirt - Alice In Chains

That is a good list for sure, some of those albums were misses for me like Amorica and The Fragile...

majormet

Nov 12, 2009
Dix Hills, NY
Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon

Bruce Springsteen -The Wild, the Innocent and the E Street Shuffle

Bruce Springsteen - Born to Run

Black Sabbath - Heaven and Hell

Neil Young - Decade

Zep - Physical Graffiti

Ac/Dc - Let There Be Rock

Allman Brothers - Live at Filmore

Bob Seger - Live Bullet

Stones- Sticky Fingers

When I do these lists I never included live or compilation albums... some good ones there though

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
That is a good list for sure, some of those albums were misses for me like Amorica and The Fragile...
Misses as in you don't like them? Amorica is a phenomenal record in my opinion. I can talk Black Crowes for hours. Seen them about 40 times...

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
When I do these lists I never included live or compilation albums... some good ones there though
I agree for the most part, except Allman Bros at Filmore East makes the list with an asterisk. Think of it as a one take studio album recorded in a very large studio with lots of guests watching. :)

majormet

Nov 12, 2009
Dix Hills, NY
My top 10

1. Eagles - Hotel California - the lesser known songs are better than the hits, the true sign of a great album (Wasted Time, Victim of Love, Last Resort)
2. Rolling Stones - Let it Bleed - my favorite Stones album, once again lesser songs like Monkey Man stand out
3. Heart - Little Queen - one of the best pure rock albums ever made
4. Oasis - Definitely Maybe - lesser songs like Digsby's Diner and Cigarettes & Alcohol are key
5. Blind Faith - Blind Faith - classic example of egos at rest for a few seconds, genius album
6. Lucinda Williams - Car Wheels on a Gravel Road - if you can put the American South to music, this is the album
7. Squeeze - ArgyBargy - outside of the one Jools Holland song it is perfect
8. Lauryn Hill - Miseducation of - not a hip hop fan, but this album is very inventive
9. Neil Young - After the Gold Rush - his best work, very stripped down
10. Bruce Springsteen - The River - this album was ahead of it's time it has aged very well.

Others that I value

Bangles - All Over the Place
Soundgarden - Superunknown
Material Issue - International Pop Overthrow
Pixies - Trompe Le Monde
Blondie - Parallel Lines
Clash - London Calling
Jimi Hendrix - Are you Experienced
Shelby Lynne - I Am Shelby Lynne
Marshall Crenshaw
Pink Floyd - Wish You were Here
Traffic - Low Spark of High Heeled Boys

majormet

Nov 12, 2009
Dix Hills, NY
I agree for the most part, except Allman Bros at Filmore East makes the list with an asterisk. Think of it as a one take studio album recorded in a very large studio with lots of guests watching. :)

Yeah it is a great live album but I judge an album on new material... for these lists LOL

majormet

Nov 12, 2009
Dix Hills, NY
Misses as in you don't like them? Amorica is a phenomenal record in my opinion. I can talk Black Crowes for hours. Seen them about 40 times...

Amorica was that the 3rd or 4th album... I liked Shake your Money Maker and then Southern Accompany, whatever album.. but I lost appeal on them on the 3rd and 4th albums, it was also the time period where the grunge/alternative was at a high and bands like the Black Crowes were not center any more.

Rich Robinson is a great guitar player for sure. Jealous Again was the first song I head by them and their best song.

Since there are two testaments (you and perif) on this, I have to revisit that album again.

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
Amorica was that the 3rd or 4th album... I liked Shake your Money Maker and then Southern Accompany, whatever album.. but I lost appeal on them on the 3rd and 4th albums, it was also the time period where the grunge/alternative was at a high and bands like the Black Crowes were not center any more.

Rich Robinson is a great guitar player for sure. Jealous Again was the first song I head by them and their best song.

Since there are two testaments (you and perif) on this, I have to revisit that album again.
I consider the Black Crowes 2nd, 3rd and 4th albums (Southern Harmony, Amorica, 3 Snakes) to be a holy trinity, worthy of being mentioned with the Stones top 3.

Rich wrote some fantastic songs and is a master at coming up with riffs. But Marc Ford is the guitarist that made the band legit. He's their Mick Taylor. One of my favorite guitarists of all time. Such a great tone...

Fun Fact: when Keith Richards was asked if he knew Rich Robinson, he replied "Know him?! I invented him!" LOL!

Fun Fact 2: Rich Robinson wrote Jealous Again when he was a 17 year old high school senior.

majormet

Nov 12, 2009
Dix Hills, NY
I consider the Black Crowes 2nd, 3rd and 4th albums (Southern Harmony, Amorica, 3 Snakes) to be a holy trinity, worthy of being mentioned with the Stones top 3.

Rich wrote some fantastic songs and is a master at coming up with riffs. But Marc Ford is the guitarist that made the band legit. He's their Mick Taylor. One of my favorite guitarists of all time. Such a great tone...

Fun Fact: when Keith Richards was asked if he knew Rich Robinson, he replied "Know him?! I invented him!" LOL!

Fun Fact 2: Rich Robinson wrote Jealous Again when he was a 17 year old high school senior.

LOL I can't compare the Crowes to the Stones they are a derivative, but I see your passion for the band, and they play with a lot of soul. Mick Taylor was my favorite Stones guitarist too, I like Goat's Head Soup more than most people for sure.

Yep remember when that came out and I saw the Crowes in concert and Chris introduced his brother and said how young he was even at the time. I saw them in 1990 on a business trip in Nashville.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad